Planning trip to the Grand Canyon

So our Alaskan cruise was of course cancelled this year and I doubt we'll be going next year either. We need to use our airline tix by end of 2021 or lose the $$. The Grand Canyon is on our list pf places to visit. From those that have been there, what advice do you have for a week's visit there? Anything you would or would not do again there?

Also would like to see a hot air balloon festival w/o spending a whole day driving to see one.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B.

Comments

• VR3VR3 Posts: 24,009
    Im sure you know but there are multiple visitor points to the grand canyon, hours and hours apart.

The entrance with the bridge is the best that I know of. We went to the southern entrance and while it was breath taking, there is not much to do there other than stare off into the abyss.

Now is you are doing helicopter rides to the bottom and all that, different level than I have done
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • NotaSuvNotaSuv Posts: 2,912
    If still open and running ...take a mule ride to the bottom...
  • NotaSuvNotaSuv Posts: 2,912
    ride a section of Rt 66...maybe hit a corner in Winslow Az......
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,847
    If you have in interest in trains, there is one that runs from Williams Az to the south rim.

https://thetrain.com/
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,776
    If you are going to be there for several days, consider taking a day trip to Sedona (about 2 hours from the south rim). One of the more beautiful spots in the Southwest if not the country, and some fun eclectic shops to boot. I proposed to my wife near a waterfall there 19 years ago, seems to have good mojo...
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Martin Logan Grotto sub; Musical Fidelity A308; Cambridge Azur 851N; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology SM450; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor350; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,176
    Consider a day at Canyon De Chelly while you're out there.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• muncybobmuncybob Posts: 2,413
    Some good info to look into...thanks. We are looking at mid to late October...good time to not have really hot temps?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B.
  • CGTIIICGTIII Posts: 743
    Near the Lodge on the South Rim there are log cabins with fireplaces that are quite nice. You need to book them weeell ahead though.
    I've flown into Vegas and driven to the Grand Canyon three times. If you're doing that and have time, a worthy day trip from Vegas is Death Valley. In Death Valley, don't miss Artist's Drive at sunset and a tour of Scotty's Castle, if still available.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,176
    muncybob wrote: »
    Some good info to look into...thanks. We are looking at mid to late October...good time to not have really hot temps?

Yep, could even snow.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxwardmaxward Posts: 735
    We have friends who rented a cabin on the south rim and liked it. A great way to see sunrise on the canyon because you’re already there. We were there in May 2019 and stayed in Flagstaff. Also visited Sedona. Both are worthwhile. We drove from the north and unfortunately the north rim was still snowed in.
    Thorens TD-160C; Sumiko Talisman S, retipped by Soundsmith; Jolida JD9; Marantz CD-53; North Star Intenso;
    Joule-Electra LA-100; Balanced Power Technology AC conditioner;
    Odyssey Khartago monos (with most factory upgrades); Magnepan MG 3.6R
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 2,676
    edited October 13
    Depends on north or south rim really. If South then stay in Williams, you have the Railroad, Railroad hotel, Bearizona, little Route 66 pass through etc etc. Plus you are near so much more like Flagstaff (which has a ski/snowboard park), Prescott (my personal favorite town) and Sedona as mentioned.

North Rim has a couple of good breweries and old historic hotels. I believe one has a pool overlooking the canyon.

I have lived in Az my whole life but I have only visited the South Rim which was beautiful.

Lots of walking and tourists, tons from out of the country, it was cool to talk to some.

EDIT*** I believe I got 3 days 2 nights with first class train tickets and food vouchers from the Railroad hotel for $800 out the door.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 2,713
    Check out Havasu Falls if you can.
    av35b6we8d4l.jpg
    We might be doing a RV trip either starting in Las Vegas or ST George UT to see the Grand Canyon, Zion, and down to Lake Havasu. We use RVSHARE.COM . Fantastic way to spend time with family and move at our own pace.
    edited October 13
    CH46E wrote: »

There is over a year wait list. Plus the 13 mile hike down then back up. So many people started going that you have to buy and reserve passes through the reservation.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    edited October 13
    3daht2noywh9.jpg

Fossil Creek however is free (besides the national forest parking fee) and isn't as busy. Worth the drive.

I forgot! You also have the hubble telescope, meteor crater, Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert.

Man I love my state.

• Nesmith98Nesmith98 Posts: 134
    Lake Powell is a couple of hours away on the Northeast side. It's fun to rent a boat and cruise around there. It's like boating in the Grand Canyon.
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,820
    steveinaz wrote: »
    RESPECT the Canyon. 9 people every year, fall to their death in Grand Canyon.

Kinda like the Columbia River Gorge by me. What they do is stand on the edge of a precipice with a strong upper draft and do the "standing on the bow of the Titantic" stunt. Then the wind briefly stops and down they go.
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
  • fish357fish357 Posts: 306
    Petrified Forest is definitely a winner. A little time in a car would get you Hoover Dam too.
    You’ll be in high desert, I think 6000’ above sea level, or so. Weather will be much cooler.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 5,497
    Don't forget to storm Area 51 and bring home some alien artifacts.
  • fish357fish357 Posts: 306
    Just bring back an alien, no one will miss Gary Busey.
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 1,308
    edited October 14
    An entire week is probably too long in the "Grand Canyon" area per sey.

A trip to Flagstaff, Winslow, Sedona and on to Scottsdale/Phoenix is a great ride. You could go in the other direction to Hoover Dam and Las Vegas.

My first visit to the Grand Canyon was in the mid 70's. It was my first trip west. It started for business in Phoenix for several days; stayed at the Camel Back Inn in Scottsdale and enjoyed the desert, rattle snakes, Hopi Kachina dolls/art, tennis, etc. In July, the temp was 114 degrees. (Named my first sailboat Kachina a year later)

At end of stay in Phoenix, drove rental car to Sedona, Flagstaff where it was snowing and no heat in motel; then drove on to the Grand Canyon for a couple of days. Lastly, drove on to Las Vegas for several days before flying back to Atlanta. In Las Vegas, I found out I really liked playing Craps. Saw Wayne Newton show and BB King Review at the Las Vegas Hilton. BB King and a couple of band members were in the Keno room one day after lunch gambling.

It was a great trip overall with my spouse the whole time. I remember the Delta L-1011 leaving Las Vegas because "Leaving on A Jet Plane" was the first music playing through the planes audio system.

Thanks for reminding me of some great memories.

n9re4n7j2rlg.png
    4qfcapgazi3k.png
    If the telephone doesn't ring ......... it's me
    Harry / Marietta Georgia
  • CGTIIICGTIII Posts: 743
    We might be doing a RV trip either starting in Las Vegas or ST George UT to see the Grand Canyon, Zion, and down to Lake Havasu. We use RVSHARE.COM . Fantastic way to spend time with family and move at our own pace.

I second looping through Zion from the Grand Canyon. Did that once starting in LV.
    Tip: Some places in UT don't observe DST or should I say they only observe it but don't participate? :-)
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,492
    edited October 14
    I knew when I got stationed here 28 years ago, that I found "home." I love Arizona. I'm way down in Cochise county, a few a minutes from Bisbee/Tombstone.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 - Cables: Kimber Hero XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 dig coaxial
    edited October 14
    I knew when I got stationed here 28 years ago, that I found "home." I love Arizona. I'm way down in Cochise county, a few a minutes from Bisbee/Tombstone.

I miss AZ so much also. I hope to retire on Parker Strip with a home on the river.

I'll always have a soft spot for Bisbee.

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 5,497

I'll always have a soft spot for Bisbee.

The 1955 film noir "Violent Saturday" was shot on location in and around Bisbee, including the Copper Queen Mine and the Lavender Pit Mine. :)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048790/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_35

r1uio46cr4tx.jpg

b1w4yta55imi.jpg

kahm3igbwoq5.jpg

jknmwbjp56p5.jpg
    edited October 14

There is over a year wait list. Plus the 13 mile hike down then back up. So many people started going that you have to buy and reserve passes through the reservation.

Wow, I had no idea. I knew there was a hike. But a year wait ..... wow.

We, HMM-764 Marines out of Edwards AFB used to fly Toys for Tots into the Havasupi Reservation in the Canyon. It was the coolest flight I ever did.

"Marines bring Christmas to the Grand Canyon;HMM-764 delivers toys to tots in Havasupai village > Marine Corps Air Station Yuma > News" https://www.mcasyuma.marines.mil/News/Article/549506/marines-bring-christmas-to-the-grand-canyonhmm-764-delivers-toys-to-tots-in-hav/
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,971
    Bob - You'll have a great time no matter where you go in the Southwest. We did a 17-day (once-in-a-lifetime) trip with our kids in late June - early July 2014. Did the 'grand circle'... flew into Vegas, picked up a car and hit Zion for a couple days, then Bryce, then Capitol Reef, then Arches/Canyonlands (LOVED Moab), then Mesa Verde, then the Four Corners (SKIP THIS), then Monument Valley, and then the Grand Canyon. After that, we took two days and a slow drive on Route 66 to California (hit Disneyland for my daughter's 9th birthday). A quick stop in LA/Hollywood and a congested drive back to Vegas for a couple nights capped the trip. Renewed our wedding vows at "The Little White Wedding Chapel".

I'll add that Zion was our favorite, but everything else except the Four Corners and Hollywood was a close second.

I saw the Grand Canyon on a cross country trip with a former college roommate back in 1993 or 1994 and it was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen. Swore that everyone should see it in their lifetime. When we went 20 years later with the kids, I will say it was a little less impressive that time after being "up close and personal" at all the other National Parks. I think at that point we were "hiked out" so we just observed it from various vantage points and without doing a hike into the canyon, the kids got bored with it.

I'd recommend extending your trip, starting at the Grand Canyon, and then hitting some other places and parks recommended by others. We regret not stopping at Antelope Canyon and Sedona. Don't let the drive time put you off. We put almost 3000 miles on the rental in that two and a half weeks. And, we did it with kids. The driving was half the fun! EVERY drive was absolutely breathtaking. I'll say that the drive from Zion to Bryce (taking the Zion - Mt. Carmel highway out of Zion and through the tunnel at the top) was our favorite. If you've ever seen the Disney/Pixar movie "Cars", they surely got their inspiration for the one scene from this drive.

I'll end with this... if you're a fan of old western movies, try to hit Monument Valley and stay at one of the cabins at the campground. They sit on the rim of the valley and overlook the "Mittens". And, they are by no means 'rustic'. I know they were closed due to COVID earlier this summer, but I'm sure they'll be open when you plan to go. Monument Valley isn't that far (maybe 4 +/- hour drive) from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

If you ever want to chat about your trip, give me a ring!
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,492
    No post card or photograph can capture the Grand Canyon.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 - Cables: Kimber Hero XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 dig coaxial