Last audio component for the year: stick a fork in me, I’m done.

Options
Last component of the year, I’m done, toast, finished.

After years of planning and dreaming and research, I finally decided to take it home. Some of you might be able to guess what it is.

Needless to say, this will be a long journey, but I’ll take my time and savor it. Hopefully it closes a chapter.

pqqbqvkb5pm5.jpeg
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    Options
    Those are some sweet cardboard boxes, minimal deflection from transit, should serve you well in futures shipping endeavors
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    Options
    Last audio component for the year: stick a fork in me, I’m done.

Your click-bait headline is as fake as anything I have seen from the New York Times. Given that there is less than three months to go on 2020, you will be back posting about new gear in a matter of weeks... :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Clues...
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    lcbshmox34r7.jpeg
    yjkaxgntlo9q.jpeg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I suppose if you're going to make a splash, might as well do it from 80,000ft...

Have you even bought a record yet? If so, what one? :p
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Where's the phono preamp to match the quality of the turntable, tonearm, and cartridge? :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    Just to point out, vis-a-vis this thread's title -- it is October.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    There's also "Fiscal Year" vs "Calendar Year" to think about.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I suppose if you're going to make a splash, might as well do it from 80,000ft...

Building up my record collection. Can’t wait to show Emma and the kids how to use it or Atleast how it works.

I had a lot of communication with other audiophiles, particularly my crew with the Dallas Ft Worth Audiophiles. It was either spend $4500 on an Project RPM 10 w starling or just get what is typically end game and just slowly build up around it. It took me 2 weeks to finally decide.

A little buyers remorse for sure... but hopefully that will dissipate as time goes on.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

Building up my record collection. Can’t wait to show Emma and the kids how to use it or Atleast how it works.

I had a lot of communication with other audiophiles, particularly my crew with the Dallas Ft Worth Audiophiles. It was either spend $4500 on an Project RPM 10 w starling or just get what is typically end game and just slowly build up around it. It took me 2 weeks to finally decide.

A little buyers remorse for sure... but hopefully that will dissipate as time goes on.
    I don't have nearly the level of system you do, but I do have a decent size record collection. I'd be happy to let you make some selections and meet up. I'd love to hear and see the Avenger Reference in person. :)

I'll even bring over my Sutherland 20/20 if you're still waiting on phonostage, but I assume whatever you have coming would clock in above that level.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    I'm glad you are happy, and with all of your helping of others with CONV-19 in 2020, you deserve any and everything you want to have.

Enjoy!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options
    Joey ,
    What part of the “JethroPlex” do you live ?
    I’m Lower Greenville Av ..

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • Joey_V
    Options

I don't have nearly the level of system you do, but I do have a decent size record collection. I'd be happy to let you make some selections and meet up. I'd love to hear and see the Avenger Reference in person. :)

I'll even bring over my Sutherland 20/20 if you're still waiting on phonostage, but I assume whatever you have coming would clock in above that level.

Are you close by?
    I'm glad you are happy, and with all of your helping of others with CONV-19 in 2020, you deserve any and everything you want to have.

Enjoy!

Thx friend, much appreciate your support
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options

Glad to hear you are fulfilling something that you've wanted to do! You must know, what is the record going to be? B)

I'm on the other end of things. I have maybe 400 records and an entry level table that i am looking to unload.

I just don't have the time for it anymore when it used to be my wife and i's Friday night activity. We would randomly pick 3 records on Wednesday, i would clean them Thursday, and Friday night we would have a couple :D drinks while playing all three cover to cover. Then kids came along...

All of my stuff has been stored in bins for a couple years now.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    Congrats Joey!

what is it going to set on? What about mono recordings?
    Sounds like a great adventure. :)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Congrats! Good choice. Are you setting it up without help?
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Congrats on your new deck, I've been a VPI owner for several years now, I really have no desire to pursue anything else, other than Cartridge upgrades.

Which tonearm comes with the Reference Table, a Gimbal or Uni-Pivot?

I like your idea of going all out for a purchase, 'buy once, cry once'.

Enjoy
  • Emlyn
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Agree on the going all out the first time with the core component and building from there. Find the comfort zone with the base and build around the table with further updates to tonearm, cartridge, cables, and phono preamp.

Critically important is to get a quality record cleaning machine. Arguably just as important has getting the right turntable system to work with.
  • displayname
    Options

Are you close by?

Enjoy!

Thx friend, much appreciate your support

About to shoot you a PM
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Congrats on your new deck, I've been a VPI owner for several years now, I really have no desire to pursue anything else, other than Cartridge upgrades.

Which tonearm comes with the Reference Table, a Gimbal or Uni-Pivot?

I like your idea of going all out for a purchase, 'buy once, cry once'.

Enjoy

Unipivot with dual pivot attachment.

I have the option to buy a gimbal fatboy as a second arm for $2000 instead of $4000, new in box. I got to see it and hold it in my hands. But not sure if I need to be spending more money.

Any opinions of either arm?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Congrats Joey!

what is it going to set on? What about mono recordings?
    Sounds like a great adventure. :)

Top of the SRA Scuttle

Mono recordings?

Man I haven’t even thought about that hahaha

Do I need a different cart?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Agree on the going all out the first time with the core component and building from there. Find the comfort zone with the base and build around the table with further updates to tonearm, cartridge, cables, and phono preamp.

Critically important is to get a quality record cleaning machine. Arguably just as important has getting the right turntable system to work with.

What cleaning machine do you recommend?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Congrats! Good choice. Are you setting it up without help?

Already set up, then I removed the arm and took the entire unit home as it stood. Have to level it and keep it that way.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I would've went with the $15k HW-40 Anniversary, but I guess why not make it rain.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Just call it a "record player" and she won't take it seriously. That is AWESOME.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • displayname
    Options

The VPI 16.5 is the standard workhorse machine that's been around forever and is known to be very effective and reliable for decades. I considered this one, but I liked the design features of the Project unit.
    VPI does have the Cyclone with some notable upgrades. Several other companies make solid vacuum based RCMs, and companies like Clearaudio make higher end, more automated units. Essentially as long as the vacuum is powerful enough and the arm can create a decent seal on the record, all of these clean about the same. On some forums you will find endless threads with opinions on cleaning solutions and methods. Everything from chemicals, to enzymes, to homemade cocktails, and rinse cycles.

Ultrasonic machines are the generally considered a technically superior cleaning method, but the time investment is significantly higher. The initial investment is also more, but given where you're at I don't think that difference will be enough to make you sweat. In my mind, the big thing is time. I looked at the Krimuss system, which to me appears to be the most technically superior option on the market. But I just couldn't commit to a minimum of 20-30 of cleaning per LP. When you talk about cleaning 500+ LPs, that's time not everyone is willing to give up. I have jokingly said many times that I'd get a Krimuss when I get a staff member to handle the cleaning in another room. I'll add though that it's much easier to keep up with cleaning if you do it from the start instead of trying to go back and clean a few hundred records you already own.

I've also read some speculation that the sound frequencies being put out by some ultrasonic cleaners could be detrimental for your hearing. I don't think I've ready anything conclusive on that, but might be something to research if you're looking at going that route.

Step 1 - Decide if you want Ultrasonic or Vacuum based.
    Step 2 - Decide on a solution (if applicable)
    Step 3 - Find the unit in your price point that makes the most sense for your space

I would also suggest investing in some form of poly sleeves when you invest in the RCM. No sense in putting a clean record into a dirty paper sleeve.
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I would've went with the $15k HW-40 Anniversary, but I guess why not make it rain.

That’s also a nice table. Geez.
    Local friend has the VPI direct drive signature. Thing is expensive as heck from my recollection.
  • Emlyn
    Options

I would stick with the VPI family even though I use a Nitty Gritty system. The 16.5 for occasional use or the Cyclone model for heavy usage and/or some ease of use and reliability benefits.
  • Joey_V
    Options

The VPI 16.5 is the standard workhorse machine that's been around forever and is known to be very effective and reliable for decades. I considered this one, but I liked the design features of the Project unit.
    VPI does have the Cyclone with some notable upgrades. Several other companies make solid vacuum based RCMs, and companies like Clearaudio make higher end, more automated units. Essentially as long as the vacuum is powerful enough and the arm can create a decent seal on the record, all of these clean about the same. On some forums you will find endless threads with opinions on cleaning solutions and methods. Everything from chemicals, to enzymes, to homemade cocktails, and rinse cycles.

Ultrasonic machines are the generally considered a technically superior cleaning method, but the time investment is significantly higher. The initial investment is also more, but given where you're at I don't think that difference will be enough to make you sweat. In my mind, the big thing is time. I looked at the Krimuss system, which to me appears to be the most technically superior option on the market. But I just couldn't commit to a minimum of 20-30 of cleaning per LP. When you talk about cleaning 500+ LPs, that's time not everyone is willing to give up. I have jokingly said many times that I'd get a Krimuss when I get a staff member to handle the cleaning in another room. I'll add though that it's much easier to keep up with cleaning if you do it from the start instead of trying to go back and clean a few hundred records you already own.

I've also read some speculation that the sound frequencies being put out by some ultrasonic cleaners could be detrimental for your hearing. I don't think I've ready anything conclusive on that, but might be something to research if you're looking at going that route.

Step 1 - Decide if you want Ultrasonic or Vacuum based.
    Step 2 - Decide on a solution (if applicable)
    Step 3 - Find the unit in your price point that makes the most sense for your space

I would also suggest investing in some form of poly sleeves when you invest in the RCM. No sense in putting a clean record into a dirty paper sleeve.

That’s a lot of information to digest, thanks Willie.

Let me ask you, what is the best vacuum based cleaning machine and what is the best ultrasonic machine?

Give me top 3 best.

Also, what do you mean 20-30 per LP??