Concrete pad leveling

Options
Anyone here have a concrete pad re-leveled?

My garage pad has a cracked and sunken section that would like fixed. If you have had it done, how were the results and what did they charge?

One of my neighbors said he heard it was between $3-4K for it to be done, and if that’s the case I could probably just have it ripped out and replaced for nearly the same amount!

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Mud jacking for just a slab seems impractical unless it's a load bearing issue but I guess you you need to figure out why it subsided.
  • Nesmith98
    Options
    My buddy used to own a concrete leveling business and I think he charged around $400-$500 per slab, but that was over ten years ago. He used lime to do it, but now some use spray foam. Not sure which one is better.

Groundhog or chipmunk problem eh?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    My very limited experience is jacking the aqueduct and it was way more economical and faster than demo and replace.
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    Options
    Find a company that uses polyurethane injection. They come in, drill holes, squirt in the juice. Not an eternal fix, but damn near. The technology has changed quite a bit in the last ten years.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    The ones I’ve seen around here are the ones where they drill holes and poly fill.

The issue was an old water problem.

We have done a lot of drainage work around our house...

Replacing the pad does seem like overkill, but if I’m close to the same cost, why repair when you can just have new, right?
  • fish357
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    The ones I’ve seen around here are the ones where they drill holes and poly fill.

Yes, that’s the ticket.
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Replacing the pad does seem like overkill, but if I’m close to the same cost, why repair when you can just have new, right?

It is overkill. Let me know how that goes. Have you priced concrete by the yard lately? Let alone labor costs since everyone’s so busy.
    It will be much cheaper to go the poly route, and hold up pretty well.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I know for sidewalk work, our bill is $7sqft finished plus concrete.
    A yard of the grey stuff is roughly $120.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    It will really come down to how much the price difference is.

This is also a 40 year old slab, so I’m also considering the fact that it’s not in the best shape to begin with. I’m going to make some calls this week.
  • fish357
    Options
    Makes a big difference if it’s not in good condition.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Concrete doesn't deteriorate over time. It only gets stronger. Now freeze thaw and vibrational stress is it's enemy.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Being in NY, we have plenty of freeze/thaw cycles.

40 years of cars parking on it. Snow, ice and rain dripping on it and the massive amounts road salt over the winters.

It’s a salvageable pad, but I’m only going to go through with a repair if the cost makes sense.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    If you do replace it have them add fiber to it. It will never crack.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

It will keep it regular too.
  • mrbiron
    Options

Never is a very definite word. Only saying because I’ve seen it. If you don’t want concrete to crack, use asphalt. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited September 2020
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

Never is a very definite word. Only saying because I’ve seen it. If you don’t want concrete to crack, use asphalt. ;)

And that stuff (asphalt) often cracks up here in the Frozen White North (at any rate). Any of you who know the term frost heave have likely experienced it. ;)

Extremely good bed prep can minimize it -- but it is pretty much inevitable.
    Concrete's pretty much anathema up here -- not utterly unused, but none too common.

Dirt is still pretty popular for pavement road surfaces here -- and gravel for driveways and parking pads.

• fish357
    Options
    I used to promise every excited new home owner two things before they went to the closing table- You’re concrete will get hard, and it will crack.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    ...And it will be gray.
  • fish357
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Unless you tint it. (;
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Update:

Got the quote to have it done, leveling the pad and sealing the crack back up will be $1,900.

Definitely less than replacing the pad.

This is the polyurethane leveling to fill the voids and bring the pad back together.

Once it’s repaired and leveled, I might have the surface epoxied.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    If available where you live this makes for an awesome garage floor finish.

https://www.naturestone.com/
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.