Painting an SVS subwoofer

I just bought a used SVS PB12 NSD sub. I just swapped it in for the rather small 8" Jamo sub and it is a great addition to accompany my SRS 1.2TLs. The however problem is that it is white and looks like a small refrigerator ...and my wife who generally is very understanding does not approve. ...so I thought I should just paint the box black. :) The sub does not have a wood veneer like the new SVS subs but some kind of coating, don't know if its paint or plastic coating.

Has any of you painted your sub? Any tips or suggestions?
SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Talk to this guy, he just painted a set of Apple i703s. They are really Polk LSiM703s.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/192084/touching-up-my-lsim703/p1
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited September 2020
    If you don't have a paint spray booth with an exhaust fan and a filtered entry vent (how many of us do?), you can try spraying it outside or in a garage with the door open. There will probably still be particles falling on it in a garage or at least there would be in mine, and outdoors you can get small bugs etc.. I have sprayed smaller items outdoors with a makeshift spray booth made from a large cardboard box. You still have to wear a respirator but it defeats the wind at least. Something like a Refrigerator box would be ideal. Also, lots of coats of automotive primer (as long as compatible) with wet sanding with 400 to 600 grit is essential. For the finish coats, sanding with even lighter sandpaper is necessary, but you can often re-coat after a couple of hours without sanding if you have gotten a nice dust free application. Thin multiple coats is the key.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Remove all the parts, then take it to an auto body shop and have them paint it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    edited September 2020
    Unless you can wait until they are painting a satin black car (might be a long wait) they will charge a great deal if they have to clean their equipment and purchase a small quantity of paint for you (assuming they don't have it). I got a quote of $100 a while back for spraying 2 sailboat Dorade Boxes gloss white and that was only if I did the primer and sanding first, however there was some tricky masking required with those and it wasn't clear if they expected me to have done the masking or not. Point is it could be expensive. If you are OK with a gloss black they might not be a terrible idea, especially if you do the priming and sanding yourself because no way are they going to do as nice of a job otherwise. I ended up doing the job myself and it was a good thing because it was an extremely difficult job to get a smooth finish by spraying inside a hollow tube, basically and the masking was a nightmare.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    A $100.00 for a job like that is dirt cheap.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• That was after I did all the work of stripping, filling, sanding, masking, priming, sanding, priming, sanding, masking again. Then they would shoot some gloss white on it for $100. I don't want to steal his thread with the saga of the Dorade Vents lol.

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    Ed Mullen of SVS replied to me:
    Ed Mullen (SVS)

Sep 14, 2020, 1:12 PM EDT

Hi Hrannar -

The subwoofer has a vinyl laminate covering.

You would need to remove the amp, woofer and port flare if you were going to paint it.

I would use a paint with low solvent, as vinyl can easily be melted with a high solvent paint. Do a test spot on the bottom on the subwoofer to make sure the paint is compatible. I don't have a specific brand recommendations though - this is the first time we've been asked this particular question.

My preference would be spray paint, but I supposed you could roll-it on too. but there is a higher chance of drips/runs.

Guess I will visit a painter shop and see what they have with not too much solvent.

And I won't go to an auto body shop since it would be too costly for an item that will be tucked away and hopefully only showing the front side. :)
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • Gardenstater
    edited September 2020
    Well they do have low VOC paints now. Hopefully they will be low enough solvent to not be incompatible. Good luck. I may be painting a Silver Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer that I got a good deal on even though I wanted Black. I don't really want satin black either. More like an Eggshell I suppose, and that is not really a sheen that you can find in an aerosol can. At least it is Painted MDF that is already super smooth.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Painting vinyl is never a good idea.

President of Club Polk

• hauxon
    Let's see
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Removing the vinyl is like 25% of the battle, the real war is going from vinyl to a paint able, glue free, smooth su state that will look good once painted.

Truck bed liner is rough enough to hide a poor substrate
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    You could just take it to a place that does auto wrapping. Any competent shop should be able to do a pretty good job. Or you could DIY but it might take a little practice.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • hauxon
    Auto wrap is cheap and would probably wok well. I did also consider using something like Tolex (like on guitar amps) or leather. I however contacted a specialized painter shop today and they are confident it will be easy to paint. They recommend light sanding to ensure enough grip. Their suggested paints from Sikkens, BL Rezisto Primer and then Bl Rezisto Satin. It's acrylic paint made for high durability, for handrails, schools, kitchens etc. I will do a test at the buttom and post pictures if I go foward. :)
  • I like the low luster sheen you got. I got too much shine in my tests with Rustoleum satin black aerosol. What applicator did you use....roller.....brush.....both? This is what you used? So bizarre but I couldn't find the color Black on their website.

https://www.sikkens.fr/fr/produits/sikkens/rubbol-bl-rezisto-satin
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • hauxon
    I like the low luster sheen you got. I got too much shine in my tests with Rustoleum satin black aerosol. What applicator did you use....roller.....brush.....both? This is what you used? So bizarre but I couldn't find the color Black on their website.

https://www.sikkens.fr/fr/produits/sikkens/rubbol-bl-rezisto-satin

I don't know the exact color number, there's paint on the sticker on the can. I just picked the darkest gray without going 100% black from a color chart in the store. 1L cans are more than enough paint and will let you paint something else with the rest of the paint. I used small fine rollers to get the surface even. I think the key is not to hurry allowing at least 6 hours of drying time between rounds.
  • Where did you purchase? It seems there are not many dealers in USA. I may want to try this for my Martin Logan Silver (uggh) Sub.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Where did you purchase? It seems there are not many dealers in USA. I may want to try this for my Martin Logan Silver (uggh) Sub.

It's a long drive and a fair bit of backstroke to get there....
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2020
    Black paint? Where did you find it? Been looking for years where to buy some.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • I guess in *some* people's minds color is the only thing that is important with paint. Try painting people's kitchen cabinets and revisit that notion. I've done a fair amount of that. I liked the sheen that he got in his pictures, ie. luster is another word for it, and foreign paints tend to be very high quality. Apparently Sikkens isn't available in the states.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Wow you are brave running that Cambridge amp with that small of space above it.
  • F1nut
    Sikkens paint and wood stains are available in the US. One source for paint,
    https://cdautopaint.com/what-we-offer/coatings/automotive/sikkens/

I believe their wood stains are under the PPG banner.

President of Club Polk

• hauxon
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Wow you are brave running that Cambridge amp with that small of space above it.

Haha, when I first got the CA 851W I put the NAD dac/preamp on top of it and found out soon it was not a good idea so I put it underneath to protect both components. The 851W does run hot but not to the point where I can't touch the chassis. I do monitor the heat regularly and do believe it's acceptable. There is a hole in the back of the cabinet so the heat can escape quite easily front and back. The amp auto powers off after not receiving a signal for 10 or 15 minutes. So no problems here in cold/tempered Iceland.

As for the amp it was thought of as a temporary solution until I had saved up for a pair of Parasound JC1 or a JC5 to feed the SRS 1.2TL. The 851W has no problem driving them and just sounds powerful, effortless and musical. The heat probably being a result of the heavy class A bias that makes it sound so good. So I will probably keep it for a long time in my system.

With the addition of the SVS sub I feel the next step in my audio journey is acoustics rather than gear. ..and then remember to sit down and listen as love for music the reason we are here. :smiley: