Importance of timbre matching atmos speakers?

Options
mkellypc
mkellypc Posts: 12
edited September 2020 in Speakers
Hello all,
I'm currently running LSiM 705s and 704 for front stage, and TL3s for surround. How important is it to timbre match overhead, in ceiling atmos speakers? The only choice is the 900 and 700ls to match. Due to their cost, are they really necessary for the limited information that they play? Would another speaker really be noticeably different?
Thanks in advance for responses.
Post edited by mkellypc on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    I think ATMOS is silly. What's next, in floor speakers....pffft.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mkellypc
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I think ATMOS is silly. What's next, in floor speakers....pffft.

Thank you for that helpful input!
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    I am using TL3s for my ceiling Atmos speakers with 705s and a 703 up front and 4 702s for surrounds. You might consider TL3 for Atmos, which, BTW is very worthwhile.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    mkellypc wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I'm currently running LSiM 705s and 704 for front stage, and TL3s for surround. How important is it to timbre match overhead, in ceiling atmos speakers? The only choice is the 900 and 700ls to match. Due to their cost, are they really necessary for the limited information that they play? Would another speaker really be noticeably different?

I would use the modules Polk makes for your speakers. It is a much cleaner look, and will work better than the alternatives.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    mkellypc wrote: »
    Hello all,

I would use the modules Polk makes for your speakers. It is a much cleaner look, and will work better than the alternatives.

There are no modules for the LSiM.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

There are no modules for the LSiM.

Whoops... my bad.

Say goodnight Gracie...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Atmos would be cool if there was something worth watching.
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    The thing about Atmos is that with any 5.1 or 7.1 material, Dolby Surround Upmixing , DSU, uses the ceiling speakers in a very natural way to add ambiance. So almost anything you watch benefits from having the Atmos speakers, and, of course, an Atmos compatible AVR with DSU. I have never heard anything that sounded fake or artificial with DSU.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.