Options
jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 3,004
edited September 2020 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
qyvnsr331xfq.jpg
t4vh0huomx6u.jpg
orxpcbzobxij.jpg
fv2ya300nwkt.jpg

I was very interested to try a tube-pre, so purchased this Don Sachs Model 2 a couple of years ago from the original owner. It has worked flawlessly for me when called upon, but I just may not be a tube guy.

It is a 6SN7 tube-pre based on the tubes4hifi.com SP14 design. http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/custom line stage.html These also accept CV181 tubes, and this one will come with a complement of one pair of 6SN7, and two pair of CV181 (*discussed in more detail below). The included rectifier tube will be a 6X5GT, but if you read the information on Don's website, you'll see that he can modify it to accept a 6BY5 for cheap if that trips your trigger. He actually offers a few different upgrades.

Inputs/Outputs: You can see from the pics of the front and back panels, there are 5 RCA unbalanced inputs (with tape monitor switch), and 2 RCA unbalanced outputs.

I have emailed Don several times, and he is very responsive. He keeps a record of each unit he sells, so he knows what upgrades have been done, and what else is possible. On this specific unit, he has said that besides the rectifier tube 6BY5 mod, he could also upgrade some of the wiring from Canare to Dueland, and improve the filament supply, all of which would result in a 10-15% improvement in sound according to him. I can't speak to the accuracy of that statement, but he seems quite confident in the outcome.

IMO, it sounds nice and tubey as-is when used with good, quiet tubes. Frankly, I was looking for solid-state silence, which really doesn't happen with tubes. But in the process of my quest (and culling out noisy tubes), I finally found a good complement of nice quiet tubes, which will be included*.

The cabinet is in good cosmetic condition, but not perfect. I think the biggest boo-boo is a dent in the front-right (see pics), that the original owner said happened during initial shipment to him. He considered sending the unit back, but decided to keep it since he liked the sound and didn't want to let it go. See other pics below for scratches, etc.
d5fl4ykeuvde.jpg
r5c6cd4cizd1.jpg
Scratches...
4dgpvuyjq0bj.jpg
n8ryxtn3eyto.jpg
frq4s1szzyx8.jpg
This angle with this lighting shows them all.
ex6bh4uxd8kk.jpg
I think these dark stripes are just part of the grain.
2d302j5o2ubm.jpg

Below are nude pics of the inside. You can see he used quality components, including a combination of Audyn and Dueland capacitors. Speaking of Dueland caps, the 1uF output cap in this unit requires usage of a power amp with a minimum of 47Kohm input impedance in order to preserve good bass response. That is straight from one of my emails with Don, so please take note. Of course for a nominal price, a 1.5 or 2.0pF Dueland cap can be installed to match lower-impedance input amps.
sqh2f4dd9lt4.jpg
0mrk8wwu1j35.jpg
2kbbnblayjqn.jpg

The stock remote is included with this unit, which controls Volume(+/-), Mute, and a toggle button for volume display brightness. Works fine.
w3ux5h6u24zb.jpg

Don builds brand-new units of this model for ~$2,500. I'm asking $1,700 shipped (to lower 48) for Polkies in good-standing with 100+ posts. PayPal F&F or Venmo.

*Tubes included:
- single unknown-brand rectifier 6X5GT
- pair of Sylvania 6SN7-GT Staggered Black Plates; Bottom Foil Getter
- pair of Shugang "Black" Treasure CV181-Z
- pair of Shugang "Black" Treasure CV181-Z GF (Grant Fidelity)

Price is firm since the tubes alone are worth several hundie.
Can include a stock power cord if requested.
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
Post edited by jdjohn on

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,553
    Options
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Dang nice piece, Jody...and if I was in a better place financially, I would be all over it. 🤤
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Hump day bump
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    That looks so freaking sexy!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Little bump here. Most of these have been selling for north of $2,000 lately, so just sayin...
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,553
    Options
    I would sell a kidney for this. But unfortunately you need 3,000 posts for a kidney. :D
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    That's sad. Only 3000 posts for a kidney...
    This is probably a superb pre. Sometimes you just have to say to yourself... Maybe I could sell one of my kids... This one's not cutting it!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Update (and bump): Don now only does upgrades/mods for original owners. I am the second owner of this unit, so SOL.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Bump
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Long overdue bump $1,700
  • jdjohn
    Options
    SOLD