What amp for an MM120

hobopenguin
hobopenguin Posts: 8
edited August 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got my MM120 today, and I've been having some trouble finding the perfect amp for my needs. I really want an amp with good SQ, so I don't want a pyramid or any other kinda junk like that. It has to be able to power the MM120 in it's watt range, and it can't be too expensive. I'm not really looking forward to spending more than $300 for it. Anybody know of a good mono or bridgeable amp that would work for it? oh, I'm also planning on putting the MM120 in a .88 sealed enclosure. Thanks

Sam
Post edited by hobopenguin on

Comments

• nunzio
    nunzio Posts: 11
    edited August 2001
    I wold go with the Rockford Fosgate 800a2..... I think this is a great amp for the MM120!!!!!!!!!!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2001
    Thanks... I've actually been looking into buying the MRV-T757 off ebay. Another brand I had in mind is the Pioneer GM-X952. It's a 600 watt max amp that only retails for $230.... I've read some reviews on it, and it seems like most people said they liked it, but I'm wondering what pioneer's skipping out on for it to only be $230. Another amp I was looking at is the Pioneer Premier PRS-X720. It has 750 watt max and I think it has 450 RMS. They really seem like what I'm looking for, but I've never seen one perform. Have you ever heard one? And if so, how's it seem? Thanks for all the help

Sam
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited August 2001
    Pioneer's cheap amp line is just that: cheap. It is pretty much a fact that nobody can tell the difference between sound quality between amps, but cheap amps use cheap components. These amps are more likely to drive into clipping and destroy the speaker(s). Your better off spending a couple more bucks to get the Premier or Alpine. These better amps will also last longer. Buy a good amp now, not 2 or 3 bad amps in the future.
  • Systems
    edited August 2001
    After having a mm120, i would say go with the setup i had, being 1000w going to it and only it, just be sure you get a box that can handle real power, and wire it with some thick cable, and get the right fuses, oh and one more thing, make SURE its sealed. Do this and you will have some amazing sound.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2001
    if you want to keep the price low, i have a 600w Pioneer that i never even used. I would of course pass it on to another momo buyer for a cheap price (150ish) if your interested email silence421@yahoo.com
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2001
    I just bought 2 mm120s and would like some help on how to set these up for sound quality. I am new to audio equipment and would like any advice for amplifiers that would work best for these. Can I use a higher wattage amp (1000w+) for this without problems? Or will this burn them up? Also, could someone explain the difference between bridged , 2 ohm, 4 ohm amplifier wattages?
    Another question for the box, what volume do I use for 2 subs? Do I double the recommended size for one? or because they share the same space do I use something in between? I've read the previous messages about 3/4" mdf and make sure its sealed, but I didn't see any reference to volume required for 2 subs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing