AKAI GX-230D Reel 2 Reel

Options
2»

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I totally missed the direction buttons in that brochure photo!
    It is indeed an autoreverse deck -- good catch. :)
    I imagine (???) it needs a piece of foil tape to do full-auto reverse... but, as @jdjohn says strongly implies ;) If you're gettin' near the end of one side, just reverse direction and play the other one. Or, just let the tape run out and rethread with the empty reel on the left and run the tape in the 'backwards' direction. :#
    Whoa...I never tried that. Are these really auto-reverse?!?
    I normally just eye-balled it when waiting for the tape to get near the end.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Full autoreverse? I dunno. I dowloaded the manual, so I can look.
    Maybe not... maybe just bidirectional.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

;)

EDIT: OK, it was the brochure I downloaded :p -- which is not the manual (but rather a marketing document), but here's what it says...

z5l12ri2lssb.png

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    Beautiful photos... Nice rigs guys..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    R2R's are sexy beasts. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
  • Jetmaker737
    Options

schwarcw wrote: »
    I had a Teac X-2000 that I regrettably sold a few years back. I miss it. Here are some photos. The beauty shots by Ken Swauger, who aligned the heads and installed some blue LED lights in the meters and light bar. Ken rocks!

I refinished the wood case with new veneer and some guidance from F1.

Wow, that's a beautiful deck.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Curious if you've had a chance to fire that puppy up?

Here's a few I have, both work.
    Got a couple more at the Daughters place.

e4kx8h23ms76.jpg

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I... I think he's still waitin' on some "software" from a notoriously slow-acting enabler.

:#
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2020
    Options
    My Teac X2000RBL had the "brick" remote with long cord. It also had dbx Pro NR which was the main reason I bought it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    NR on high(er) speed reel to reel tape can put one close to pro-quality recording (and PB) capability.

The TEAC/TASCAM decks -- with a very few exceptions -- were always very solid, capable and reliable performers.

The TASCAM 22-4 I have here just plugs along, doin' whatever it is asked to do (within its capabilities -- it is only a 15/7.5 ips transport). It also handles tapes quite delicately relative to some of the other classic "prosumer" decks (lookin' at you ReVox!). :)

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It made me a believer in dbx NR. Liked it much better than Dolby solutions. My Teac Z-6000 cassette deck had dbx as well.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I've got a dBx gizmo here -- I've yet to ever actually use it, though. :/
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Waiting for tape slap....

dtvjqu2zvp5h.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    My Teac X2000RBL had the "brick" remote with long cord. It also had dbx Pro NR which was the main reason I bought it.

I toyed with buying one of those many times. I just didn't do it but I thought that was a pretty cool feature.
    Carl

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    The tape project owned by bottlehead sells open reel tapes recorded from the original master tapes, quite pricey though.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    The tape project owned by bottlehead sells open reel tapes recorded from the original master tapes, quite pricey though.

Also, these (excellent) tapes are on 10-1/2" reels, half track stereo, 15 ips, and (IIRC) with IEC EQ. All good things, but putting some substantial re$trictions on suitable hardware for playback.

The titular AKAI, e.g., is right out as a candidate.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2020
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Waiting for tape slap....

dtvjqu2zvp5h.jpg

In his prime, the late Zappa teh kitteh was known to create his own tape slap via claw-induced tape scission (CITS). B)

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options

Also, these (excellent) tapes are on 10-1/2" reels, half track stereo, 15 ips, and (IIRC) with IEC EQ. All good things, but putting some substantial re$trictions on suitable hardware for playback.

Just get yourself a studer A820.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was an early subscriber of the Tape Project tapes when they had a subscription series and were less expensive. I've added one or two since this photo was taken.

9xs0ah5pktx4.jpg
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    impressive!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Just get yourself a studer A820.

That's what at least one of the locals uses for his :)
    Well -- actually an A80.
    I would call these... aspirational decks B)

jurjhwmsodd8.jpg

... but, then again, maybe y'all have more spare cash than I do -- or more kidneys than I have to sell on the organ donor market. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    g7aua061wl98.jpg

Ampex 351-2 set up for both NAB and IEC playback using vacuum tubes and Tentrol constant tension.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Very cool! Anybody know what that album is at the front of the picture?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Mikis Theodorakis ??
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Is that Dianna Rigg?
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Is that Dianna Rigg?

Sadly 'Mrs. Peel' of the Avengers passed away today at the age of 82.

axdgr5mnvg0w.png

hmpjohj8wd3o.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Is that Dianna Rigg?
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Is that Dianna Rigg?

Sadly Mrs. Peel passed away today at the age 82.

axdgr5mnvg0w.png
    Yes, the late Dame Diana Rigg.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Interestingly enough, the Parks Audio Puffin Phono Preamp has a DSP 'fx' (function) for vinyl playback that mimics a 3rd harmonic distortion modeled after classic Amperex tape machines.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon