This really irks me...............

Some time ago I got into a bit of a sticky situation with a fellow Polkie when I said it irks me that people will call a cd an album. I was wrong of course, the cd is an album of songs just like a book of photos is an album of such. But still, it irks me in my grumpy old age.

The other day I was reading a review in which the reviewer stated he put on a vinyl to evaluate. It's not a freakin' vinyl, man...it's a record!! That would be like saying I'm taking my car to the rubber shop to get some new rubbers.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,773
    I feel the same way when someone says flashlight.
    It's a TORCH!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    edited August 2020
    Are you British or Canadian?

I never call a record 'a' vinyl. I don't even like using the word 'vinyl' when talking about records. But record, I think, is probably short for recording. So, Vinyl Recording was maybe shortened to Vinyl Record, which would have then been shortened to just Record for many of us.

However...
    A Tape Recording of...
    A Compact Disc Recording of...
    [Crap.] A Vinyl Recording of... (I see where this is going and making the case for that which I despise.)

Tape Recording and Compact Disc Recording were both shortened to Tape or CD. Why would it not, then, be acceptable for Vinyl Recording to be shortened to Vinyl? As in, put on a Tape, CD, or - ack - a Vinyl.

BECAUSE IT JUST ISN'T ACCEPTABLE, THAT'S WHY!

I call CDs CDs, not albums. I use the word album in talking about the collection of songs. Or tracks. Sometimes I've used these terms interchangeably - "I like that CD," or "I have that tape."

And then there's use of the term to note the format - "I have that on CD," or - gag - "on Vinyl."

I'm getting rid of all my V Recordings now just to avoid this.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,276
    Ya'll need to just move on to Mp3 it is much better. They've already tossed out all the unnecessary notes....

Carry on
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    Yea, my wife still refers to recording something on the DVR as "tape that".
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,124
    msg wrote: »
    I never call a record 'a' vinyl.
    And then there's use of the term to note the format - "I have that on CD," or - gag - "on Vinyl."
    I definitely don't like "a vinyl", unless vinyl is the descriptor, as in, "a vinyl record". Remember, it could also be OG, "an acetate record".

But I dunno, Scott. I have no problem with "on". "The recording is on tape, on CD, on vinyl, or on my NAS/drive."

All this coming from a guy (me) who still thinks 'Xerox' is a verb. "Lemme Xerox that real quick, and then I'll bring it back to you." :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,986
    That's how I feel when someone says they are going to "film" something with a smart phone. :#

"Film" is a medium used in motion pictures and photography. The proper terms would be to "record" or "shoot" something. I would even accept "to video something", but NEVER to "film something", unless a film camera was used. And even then...."shoot" is the proper industry term.

I remember some dork telling Tom Araya of Slayer: "Dude! I jam all your tapes!" My level of second-hand embarrassment was legendary. :o:p
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,595
    edited August 2020
    collections of recorded music became known as albums in the days of shellac 78 rpm records (or shellacs if you hipsters prefer B) ). In those days, only a few minutes of music fit on a 10 inch 78 (played with ca. 3 mil stylus, so the groove was, shall we say, phat). Ergo, something like a symphony -- or an opera :o -- came in an album, containing a bunch of sleeved disks, and (maybe) a libretto or some sort of documentation, typically ensconced in a nicely finished pasteboard or cardstock (think prehistoric "cardboard") slipcase.

When the long-playing 12" microgroove 33-1/3 rpm disks came along (1948), the nomenclature was well established.

ed4nbmcj6y3n.png

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    I usually just call "vinyls" LPs to avoid confusion. Someone saying they're going to "put on a vinyl" could mean putting on a gimp suit to some people.
  • mhardy6647
    Personally, I gravitate towards the term rekkids.

:|
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    The heartbreak of first world problems.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    Growing up as a teen in the late 60's early 70's we referred to the aforementioned as either records or albums. We'd say, "Did you buy the new Led Zeppelin album?" Might have referred to a 45 as a record. The disk itself was always called a record, never a vinyl. Special places where you bought them were called either "record" or "music" stores. Back then all large department, discount and dime stores all sold records and albums. Baby boomers ya know. :)
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    edited September 2020
    I refer to any body of work put out by an artist as an album.
    It might be a thing from the days when I was working for musicians, but it just feels more... respectful of the energy poured into said plastic disc, tape, record...

fwueji6re14a.jpeg

I like how this definition refers to an album as a collection. Gives it a more personal feel. Music is personal on many levels, I think.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    Yup.

And some albums were meant to be listened to as a whole journey / story.

"Tommy" by The Who, comes to mind. Wasn't it all about Tommy?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,276
    Queensryche operation mindcrime
    Rush 2112
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    You guys are kinda picky. Stress kills, learn to chill.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • msg
    Yeah you guys, chill.
    Party at Steve's mancave!
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,119
    I think we also have to remember that "we" tell Merriam Webster what words mean, not the other way around. If it is commonly used to mean a certain thing, then it becomes a dictionary word or the word gets assigned a new meaning, as in 1.C above...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    edited September 2020
    Like irregardless? Not a word. When used in place of regardless, it ends up a contraction of the point made - a double negative.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,119
    Like irregardless? Not a word. When used in place of regardless, it ends up a contraction of the point made - a double negative.

That’s because it violates grammatical norms and thus is not allowed in professional or academic writing. If it’s not allowed in professional writing, M-W will almost certainly not include it.

A well-known positive example is “google” used as a verb.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    Ah, yes, because of the lower case 'g' in google.

It also irks me when people fail to capitalize numbers where required, like with a house number, for example. Those should be capitalized, just like the first letter of the street.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Or as in the one word that Lenny Bruce used in his one comedy routine.
    (For which he was arrested)
    In one form the word is a verb.
    In other use it is a noun.

I'll have to come back later to reveal that word.

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Or as in the one word that Lenny Bruce used in his one comedy routine.
    (For which he was arrested)
    In one form the word is a verb.
    In other use it is a noun.

I'll have to come back later to reveal that word.

Oh. I almost forgot, Cincinnati.
    Booger.

oyx809blwrlw.png

https://youtu.be/eaq7DnKf6cI

3' 00"

B)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,558
    Hey while we are on this derail, my sister uses the word " unthaw" which bugs the crap out of me.
    "Would you like me to unthaw the chicken?"
    "It's already unthawed..."
    "No it's not! It's still frozen!"
    "Frozen is unthawed. Now if you'd like to thaw out the chicken, go right ahead."
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,032
    I tape shows all the time with my Tivo
  • msg
    Hahaha, these are great!

"I'm hot. I'm gonna turn down the AC."
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,124
    I think "irrespective" is the word they're meaning to use...but don't.

"I'm sweaty...think I'll jump in shower." Or sometimes 'hop' is used. I really wouldn't advise doing either of those things in a shower.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    Kleenex is a brand it's a freaking tissue. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,232
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Kleenex is a brand it's a freaking tissue. ;)

So if you have a runny nose and need a tissue and all I have is toilet paper, will you be running to restroom to wipe yourass
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    Jfc. I've become one of those people.
    *contradiction, not contraction.
    I might have written that first response on mobile. In Mobile.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,111
    “I could care less.”

No. You meant that you could not care less (couldn’t care less), not that you could, because if you could, then you didn’t mean to say that whatever you were discussing at the time is so unimportant to you that nothing could be less important.
    Alea jacta est!