HTA100BT

Options
No fires yet :D

Have noticed when starting up, I can't hear the first note on a CD as there is a slight delay on each song.

This also happens when one song ends and the next starts for the first 4-5 songs.

It does this on all CD's selected.

However, once the amp has played for a while, no hesitations.

FWIW I did put the Parasound stuff back together and compare, no hesitation at start up.

I've heard that tube stuff needs to warm up, maybe that is what's going on, I don't know.

I run the volume at 8:00 for the start up, bass/treble always set flat.

After 1 full CD run, I up the volume to about 9:00 and so on until 9:30ish-10:00 with the sound being much more tolerable.

Sound at start up it is what I call sterile/struggle overall, bass is thin and flat with the highs a bit harsh.

After a 20/25 minute run time the starts to sound settle in, harshness calms down, bass seems to form up better.

I will say for my old ears the sound gets better the longer it runs.

I have noticed that the fan usually runs constantly when the volume is around that 9:30 setting. I can only hear it when the CD is between songs if I get out of my chair and stand in close proximity to the amp, I do not hear it from my normal sitting position.

FYI, I was able to remove the bass knob and adjust it to represent a true flat position, it just pulls off.

Other than what I see as obvious short comings in design/features, the small meters, no remote and that bright power light, it's not a bad little amp for what it is.

I plan on trying some vintage Polks to see how they sound in a few days along with my
DM 4's.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    I've heard that tube stuff needs to warm up, maybe that is what's going on, I don't know.
    Yea Dave tubes needs warm up time. You cannot just flip the switch and hit play on the CD player. Mine get turned on and I wait 20min to proceed.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Now I know.

Thanks Man!!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I don't think you have to wait 20 minutes to hear music, maybe if you want it to sound it's best. It shouldn't take more than several seconds for an indirectly heated tube to operate, even less time for a directly heated tube like what's inside your microwave oven. I could maybe see it not playing the first note when you first turn it on but not at the beginning of another song after it's already been playing.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    No you do not have to wait 20 minutes, that is just my personal time. I'm sure they can play a little sooner. I just like to have them good and ready to go.
    Besides it takes a minute to get the dog out and back inside from his yard duties after I get home from work.

• invalid
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    No you do not have to wait 20 minutes, that is just my personal time. I'm sure they can play a little sooner. I just like to have them good and ready to go.
    Besides it takes a minute to get the dog out and back inside from his yard duties after I get home from work.

I totally agree, I like to leave my rig on 24/7 but I only have a tube preamp and a separate tube rectified power supply my amp is class A solid state.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    While my solid state stuff is on 24/7 my tube preamp is not on 24/7. The tubes are far too expensive to just waste away (burn up) while I'm not using it.
  • invalid
    Options
    They don't burn up that fast in a preamp that is designed right.