Subwoofer DIY recommendations

Options
Hey guys...

I just picked up one of these...
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390ho-4-15-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-469

I was thinking about buying the matching flat pack from parts express...
https://www.parts-express.com/denovo-audio-knock-down-mdf-30-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-for-dayton-audio-15-reference-seri--300-7078

I'm wondering if this combo with a proper amp would work with my Tritons in a large listening space. The Tritons have the built in subs with adjustable gain and I'm not unhappy with them, but would enjoy a bit more heft in the bottom :)

Hoping for some thoughts on this whole thing, as I'll probably need some amp recommendations as we go along.

Thanks all...
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Havya looked around or posted on PE’s tech forum?

Easier to track down someone there who’s walked that road. I believe that package should pressurize a medium sized room with little trouble. Or post your question on...

https://www.parts-express.com/denovo-audio-knock-down-mdf-30-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-for-dayton-audio-15-reference-seri--300-7078

... that link. I’ve done the same though I have yet to follow through on the advice as I’m up past my eyeballs in a ginormous backyard improvement project that includes an 33’x18’ above ground pool surrounded by a deck plus another deck between the pool and the house

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Any thoughts on my post above? I’m leaning towards that flat pack as I’m a rookie in both DIY and woodworking.

I’m hoping that driver in a sealed enclosure will add enjoyment to my main listening space.

Edit, sorry Tony @gp4jesus , I posted this response before I saw yours.

I read all reviews and questions/answers on both product pages, but I’ll check out the tech forum.

Good luck on the back yard project!!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Looks like a fun project. I think you should start by re-reading all of the Parts Express comments in detail then start searching more on the web. This looks like a popular subwoofer so let others experiment and do the work for you. I briefly looked at the comments and some were saying you need to tune the box with a port and another mentioned another enclosure is better. It sounds like you need to read up on subwoofer builds

But I am sure it will sound great when you are done so keep us posted.
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Paul,
    Forgive me for essentially reposting and getting long winded. I’m assuming you’re adding to a 2 ch system. Further you did not say what your goals are in connection to your existing setup.

The PE product page for that driver suggests per BassBox pro sealed: 1.58 cu ft, F3 50hz; ported 2.72 cu ft, F3 30hz*. The flat pack w/ the right size port should net you above*. Sealed requires something to reduce the closure volume. WinISD may model w/ different results.

Scour the forums is all I can suggest. If I get time later, I boot up my VERY slow windows note book to plug in your driver’s TS parameters into WinISD and get back to ya. 9:30 is still fairly cool to slave on my Backyard project.

Mind you these modeling softwares are not perfect but they DO give a pretty accurate place to start as opposed to guessing.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • hochpt21
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @gp4jesus thanks for the reply

My plan is to add them to the 2-channel system in the living room. 18'x30' open to a 12'x12' kitchen. It's a big space.

Current speakers are GoldenEar Triton 2's. https://www.goldenear.com/images/manuals/TritonTwoPlus_Manual.pdf

Basically, I don't have any expectations. I'm fairly happy with the bass from the Tritons, but I have to turn those bass drivers up almost all the way to really feel solid bass. My hope would be to solidify the bass in that system.

I came across the driver for a deal, and I haven't done much DIY, so I thought this might be a good way to start out.
  • hochpt21
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    What kind of music are you listening to that supposedly has all this "bass"?
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Lots of yazz flute

qrxrqxyeadtp.jpeg
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    That amp is PACKED with feature ladden DSP! Should easily drive 2 of those.

That Dayton 15 models nearly the same in WinISD. I suggest you port* the flatpack**; the same* available at PE. F3 of 30hz. I’m sorry I don’t recall port diameter but I think the length was ~14”*.
    *wait until you find a thread some where
    **should you decide that way

I hope you can locate someone that’s traveled the road you’re on w/that driver. I somehow think that driver is capable of a lower F3 w/out the aid of a lot of DSP though regardless it’s should pump.

Tony

• gp4jesus
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Paul,

Here’s a 77 post thread on that driver that suggests greater extension is achievable. I read the first 21 posts

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/first-sub-build-dayton-rss390ho-15-little-help.1509857/#post-24162402

Read very carefully. You will see some potentially confusing discussion about other projects (stupid). That and their threads are harder to follow when people quote other posts.

Tony

• hochpt21
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Paul,

Here’s a 77 post thread on that driver that suggests greater extension is achievable. I read the first 21 posts

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/first-sub-build-dayton-rss390ho-15-little-help.1509857/#post-24162402

Read very carefully. You will see some potentially confusing discussion about other projects (stupid). That and their threads are harder to follow when people quote other posts.

Tony

Thanks for the info! We are just leaving for a trip up north for a few days. I’ll do some more research and post here later.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What kind of music are you listening to that supposedly has all this "bass"?

I get that not much goes to the sub for 2 channel, but I added a sealed SVS in my smaller system and I am happy with the results.

Also, TBH I got a great deal on a driver, and I’m looking to have some fun with it.
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    Paul

I hafta clarify WinISD vs BassBox: you can use the former for free. Google the site download onto a windows platform system.

IIRC sealed & ported modeling closure diffs was .04 & .08 respectively.

Traveling Mercies
  • Clipdat
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I get that not much goes to the sub for 2 channel, but I added a sealed SVS in my smaller system and I am happy with the results.

Also, TBH I got a great deal on a driver, and I’m looking to have some fun with it.

I was razzing you a bit, but I am genuinely curious about what genres you listen to primarily.
  • hochpt21
    edited August 2020
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

I was razzing you a bit, but I am genuinely curious about what genres you listen to primarily.

I know :)

Pretty wide variety, but I’d say most often classic rock, jazz and blues. Probably in that order. Some indie mixed in.

Floyd, Zeppelin, Miles Davis, Norah Jones, Leonard Cohen, Petty, Uncle Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Coltrane, Bon Iver, Dylan, SRV, Albert King
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Nice, what kind of volume levels do you typically listen at?
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Medium.

If the family is out then louder.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    So like 75-85db?
  • hochpt21
    Options
    So like 75-85db?

Yea, I’d say in that range.