Launching a Micro Business

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 5,032
edited July 2020 in The Clubhouse
As in....its just me running the show. My LLC was registered with the state now I just need to finish the content ( the easy part) and get people to pay me for my service (the hard part). Much of the online training and teaching going on misses on many best practices which will make virtual classrooms that much more effective and enjoyable for everyone. Please check out, like, and share my FB page - Virtual Classroom Facilitator. I am looking for volunteers with any interest to be part of the free test courses I am running soon.
Also, thanks much to Hermitism with the Photoshop assistance:
nbe88i8guuw3.jpeg

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,787
    Spammer be gone!

;) Good luck and kick arse.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 387
    Good luck to you!

Do you have a website? Is posting that allowed here? I’d check it out. My mother is a teacher and has disliked the transition to virtual learning. Unfortunately (in my opinion) she is being sent back to the classroom soon (I am very worried for her health), but I am hoping maybe the district will re-evaluate, in which case she may like to take a look at your site.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Good luck. What is an LLC?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    Limited liability company
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kevhed72
    CottageChz wrote: »
    Good luck to you!

Do you have a website? Is posting that allowed here? I’d check it out. My mother is a teacher and has disliked the transition to virtual learning. Unfortunately (in my opinion) she is being sent back to the classroom soon (I am very worried for her health), but I am hoping maybe the district will re-evaluate, in which case she may like to take a look at your site.
    No website yet...learning all the social media stuff has taken up a lot of time. I am also up and running on Instagram (I think). If your mom would like to call me for for info., PM me and I'll shoot you my cell number.
    Also, anyone can email me at:
    VCFacilitator@gmail.com
    thanks...

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,595
    edited August 2020

It means (e.g.) if you have an unhappy client, s/he/they sues the LLC, not you personally.
    My little consultancy is an LLC. Turns out, establishing a one person LLC was both really easy and inexpensive in NH. It does vary state to state, though.

Free tip (if you didn't do this already) you can set your LLC up as a "disregarded entity" with its own Taxpayer ID number. This buffers your taxpayer ID number from that of your company (i.e., you don't have to worry about someone getting hold of your SSN, if that's your taxpayer ID) -- but you (personally) can still report the income and pay the taxes
    (i.e., the LLC doesn't have to file its own taxes).

This might be irrelevant to the OP, but it seemed like it was worth mentioning :)
    In my case, as an independent consultant, I have to file a W9 with each of my clients, and they report the money they pay "me" (the LLC) to the IRS via 10-99s.

PS I don't guarantee the accuracy or the usefulness of a single word that I just posted above! :|

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 387
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    CottageChz wrote: »
    Good luck to you!

No website yet...learning all the social media stuff has taken up a lot of time. I am also up and running on Instagram (I think). If your mom would like to call me for for info., PM me and I'll shoot you my cell number.
    Also, anyone can email me at:
    VCFacilitator@gmail.com
    thanks...

Cool, I will mention it to her and see if she’s interested.
  • kevhed72
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

It means (e.g.) if you have an unhappy client, s/he/they sues the LLC, not you personally.
    My little consultancy is an LLC. Turns out, establishing a one person LLC was both really easy and inexpensive in NH. It does vary state to state, though.

Free tip (if you didn't do this already) you can set your LLC up as a "disregarded entity" with its own Taxpayer ID number. This buffers your taxpayer ID number from that of your company (i.e., you don't have to worry about someone getting hold of your SSN, if that's your taxpayer ID) -- but you (personally) can still report the income and pay the taxes

This might be irrelevant to the OP, but it seemed like it was worth mentioning :)
    In my case, as an independent consultant, I have to file a W9 with each of my clients, and they report the money they pay "me" (the LLC) to the IRS via 10-99s.

PS I don't guarantee the accuracy or the usefulness of a single word that I just posted above! :|

Great info for sure....if I actually end up making any money iff this by the end of this year. Tomorrow I am contacting local principals in the area and see what the interest is.
  • mhardy6647
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Great info for sure....if I actually end up making any money iff this by the end of this year. Tomorrow I am contacting local principals in the area and see what the interest is.

Well, if you lose money it might have tax implications, too! :)
    (good ones, that is, in terms of your bottom line)
    This may be the most mind-numbingly obvious thing imaginable for me to add at this point -- but (in case it's not ;) ) don't forget: Keep track of your legitimate business expenses.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    edited August 2020
    And buy a giant double-cab 4wd truck with those ridiculous mirrors that stick out into other peoples' lanes, and put $10k worth of wheels and tires on it - those tall wheels with the really skinny tires - and claim it's for your business.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    msg wrote: »
    And buy a giant double-cab 4wd truck with those ridiculous mirrors that stick out into other peoples' lanes, and put $10k worth of wheels and tires on it - those tall wheels with the really skinny tires - and claim it's for your business.

I was thinking more of a printer... but... yeah.
  • kevhed72
    msg wrote: »
    😂😂😂
    You have discovered my true intention in all of this...
  • kevhed72
    Anyone out there know of a free download of just Powerpoint? I only need PPT and dont want to sink money into a year subscription to MS Office for the old laptop I am using now....
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2020
    No, but you can use OpenOffice which is a little busier than MS Office but it works and its fundamentally interoperable with Office files. I haven't used it for years, but I have used it,successfully, in both the WinTel world and on Linux (Ubuntu) platforms.

https://www.openoffice.org/

Also, Google offers "Slides" if you prefer/are willing to work in Google's cloud. :)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    I use open office instead of MS Office as well.

Also, Open Office will open and save out in MS Office formats too...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    I use open office instead of MS Office as well.

Also, Open Office will open and save out in MS Office formats too...

Good point! I knew it'd read 'em but I'd forgotten it'll write 'em, too.
    I always found the user interface to be a little more tedious than Word, PPT, Excel, etc., but Office's gotten more tedious, so OpenOffice might even be better than Office now from a "user experience" standpoint! ;)