Question

Options
So back in April my father passed away. I've been taking care of his house and getting everything cleaned out to get ready to sell. My fathers collection of DVD/Blu-Rays reached 3900 movies, he loved buying movies. My brother and I plan to have a huge yard sale as soon as the weather gets a little cooler. Is asking $1 for DVD's and $2 for Blu-Rays asking to much? Thanks in advance!
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Another option is to donate to charities for tax deductions. Check the collection for things that are out of print or otherwise valuable first.
  • mackdrool
    mackdrool Posts: 26
    Options
    Local libraries will take movies too. That way lots of people will be able to enjoy your dad's collection.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Great suggestions above! ;)

Sorry to hear about your Dad passing.

If you want to try and sell some first, they're .50 for DVDs and 2.00 for Blu-Rays at our Goodwill stores. Thrift stores around here have them priced like that also.

I acquired a lot of DVDs at yard sales. Some were mostly .25 and even .10 at one sale. It was like rats on a restaurant's trash can at that last one. They had box sets and music concerts for 2.00 I think. I got a box full AND 1 Polk SDA-CRS speaker at that one. :D
    The man went back to his office to get the other one but couldn't find it. :s 10.00 for the one... :| I couldn't leave it there. :D It's a single tweeter model too.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    My condolences about your father too.
    Your pricing seems fair. If you're selling them at a yard sale, maybe bundle them in lots of 20 movies or something, like any 20 DVDs for $15, or 20 Blurays for $30?

As for donations, you could just offer to drop them at a local library or three; at least you would get a legitimate receipt for them, though I doubt it will state anything other than how many there are. You would have to value them yourself.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Sorry to hear about you Dad.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2020
    Options
    If you were, say, 2 hours from Athens GA, I’d be first in line😊
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Bless you brother in your time of pain.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Sincere condolences and sympathy, @Grimster74. May your father rest in peace.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Yes @Grimster74, condolences. May your father rest near to the heart of God.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    My sincere condolences also.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    Very sad story. My condolences to you and your family as well.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Condolences as well... another idea is that they would make wonderful Karmas. I would offer them up to anyone that made a donation of "X" to a charity your dad would approve of in say 25 movie boxes. Bluerays a 50 dollar donation per box, and DVD @ 25 a box, plus actual shipping of course. I would use flat rate boxes as they are free and easy to fill up.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson