Hey, all y'all Tesla fans (i.e., the dude, not the band nor the automobile thingies)

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
edited July 2020 in The Clubhouse
Five, count 'em five Tesla bios online at
https://worldradiohistory.com/BOOKSHELF-ARH/Bookshelf_Biography.htm

5wcit2umtz17.png

My guess is that if you have any interest in the guy, you've probably read 'em all, but it seemed worthy of mention, just in case.

B)

91my2m2dkkzj.png

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I always wondered about those pictures. If he touched the round cage would it ring his bell, i.e. kill him?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I always wondered about those pictures. If he touched the round cage would it ring his bell, i.e. kill him?

Supposedly they were all multiple exposures (i.e., fakes).

As to the lethality -- very possibly, but, as electricians and EEs are wont to say.
    It's the volts that jolt, but the mills that kill

I.e., high voltage per se isn't dangerous or lethal, but if delivered with high current ("mills" = milliamperes), it can be. This is a rash statement, but DC is generally a little less dangerous (all things being equal) than AC -- I am sure you know the story of the electric chair, which was at least partly an anti-AC propaganda tool from Edison. :|

Ironically, with the development of 'green' sources of electricity, DC is kinda making a comeback. Those PV arrays and windmills generate DC, which is then converted to AC for compatibility with -- well, the grid and pretty much everything else.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Yeah, DC doesn't travel well over long distances. That's why George Westinghouse won with AC over Edison.

And George was a shrewed businessman and he put the screws to Tesla whom had a terrible business acumen.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, DC doesn't travel well over long distances. That's why George Westinghouse won with AC over Edison.

And George was a shrewed businessman and he put the screws to Tesla whom had a terrible business acumen.

Yeppers.

AC makes possible the use of the transformer. Perhaps the most magical gizmo ever devised by mankind.

0zg9auaibnc8.png

umm, I mean...

bb79t1gfxic7.png

Well, either that or the direct-heated triode amplifier tube (which needs both DC and AC to work maximal musical magic) ;)

16187805777_019bdb6d9f_b.jpgDSC_0128 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• BinKY188_5
    BinKY188_5 Posts: 128
    ogajyhovumq1.jpg

I have this on the wall next to my desk at work. Very inspiring.
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    I read a few books on Tesla in the mid 1990's and still check him out from time to time. It would be something to go back in time to his Colorado Springs lab in 1899,1900 and see some of the experiments that were going on. These were government level experiments basically by just some guy in a barn with limited financial backing.

Here's a link to a pretty good website about Tesla....
    https://teslaresearch.jimdofree.com/
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Edison was a hack. Go Tesla.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    I recommend the Margaret Cheney, "Tesla: A Man Out Of Time" book as a good starter for anyone that wants to find out why Tesla gets buzz from those that know. It tells stories of his childhood up through and past his death rather than just listing patents. The stories of what Tesla did are just totally amazing!

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Not unlike Paul on the road to Damascus, Tesla had his incidents of mental "seizures" where he received "enlightenment".

Westinghouse may have taken financial advantage of Tesla but Tesla didn't care.

Tesla was one alright dude.
    Sal Palooza