"New" SDA-1Cs

Options
2»

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I waited 1 1/2 days to pick up a McIntosh amplifier for 25.00 from Dr Roth (brain surgeon). He said his driveway was 1 mile long & it was gonna snow 12 inches. I was p issed. He was right. His driveway was 1 mile long & I would have never made it in :) . Pictures are posted here somewhere
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    I thought you all traveled by snow machine ;)
  • boston1450
    Options
    I would have crawled in for that McIntosh :) I live on coast. Snow doesnt last too long on the coast of Maine. I'd like to have a machine for camp, but I'd rather do 4wheeler. Too many toys & the state steals too much money from me already
    Randy/Maine
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    ratpin wrote: »
    After looking at the location Of the seller a bit closer. He’s actually about 10 hours round trip. That’s a lot of seat time...

@ratpin if you aren't gonna buy these would you mind sharing the sellers ad? Will you allow us to drink from the well?
  • boston1450
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @AlmaGarcia Mods. Please remove my post with name&address above. I made a bad call by posting that. Thank you...... Sorry OP
    Randy/Maine
  • ratpin
    ratpin Posts: 85
    Options
    These speakers are on facebook marketplace in the southern oregon area. Im gonna pass on them. Good luck!
    Polk: / SDA-CRS / SDA-1C / M-10B / M-7B / M-5 / M-5jr / RTA-11T / LSIM703 / LSIM704 / LSIM706 / RTI8 / CSI3 / CSI5 / RTI4 / RTI-A5 / CSI-A6 / RC80i / RC85i / RC6s / PSW300 / Atrium6 / Atrium4 / About a dozen pair of Atrium45 lol.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    engie490 wrote: »
    Howdy all!

I've been lurking around these parts for a long time reading about various topics/equipment and apparently never even joined, but I have corrected that today. I also bought my first set of Polk speakers...SDA-1Cs.

Which is interesting because way back in the 80s, I did audition the RTA-12s and I was underwhelmed. I pretty much ignored that whole generation of Polks until today. So, this is my first foray into SDA territory.

Based on reading up on the SDAs here and at AK, I started watching the local SDA deals on CL and finally pulled the trigger. I had to drive over 80 miles to audition them, but he was the original owner and took exceptional care of them. He even had the original boxes! However, he did not have the original manual or the SDA interconnect.

Anyway, they are now setup in my listening space (see pic) and, so far, I'm enjoying them even without the SDA effect. Maybe a touch of tubbiness in the bass, but I haven't started tweaking the positioning yet. I have them 7 inches from the wall right now.

I'll have to move the equipment rack over by my listening chair, to clear out the space betwixt the speakers, and run some long interconnects to the amp. Right now the Polks are being feed by a Kenwood KD-750, Muse 296 DAC, Innersound (aka Coda) preamp, and Threshold Stasis 2 amp.

Not quite ready to start mods as I want to get a handle on the sound first. Then, I can start going crazy...

The point of this post isn't just to introduce my system, but also to thank all you fellow audio nuts who have been extolling these great speakers of a bygone era. Thank you!

Jeff

hdimp0mk4hsk.jpeg

Nice collection of speakers and gear! B)

My wall looked like yours a long time ago. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    [/quote]

My wall looked like yours a long time ago. :D [/quote]

1. Forgot to throw in the Infinity Quantum 3 and Bozak DMS6000. BTW, once I get a handle on the sound of the SDAs, then I'll have to plow through my collection of preamps to see which one I prefer. I have to say thought that the Innersound/Threshold combo is sounding quite nice in stereo.

2. Are you saying that my spouse's decorating skills are antiquated? Dem's fightin' words! ;-)
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited July 2020
    Options
    engie490 wrote: »

My wall looked like yours a long time ago. :D [/quote]

1. Forgot to throw in the Infinity Quantum 3 and Bozak DMS6000. BTW, once I get a handle on the sound of the SDAs, then I'll have to plow through my collection of preamps to see which one I prefer. I have to say thought that the Innersound/Threshold combo is sounding quite nice in stereo.

2. Are you saying that my spouse's decorating skills are antiquated? Dem's fightin' words! ;-)[/quote]

I didn't see anything wrong at all looking at that clean set-up.

In fact, I'm trying to get back toward that. I'll never make it though. I like so many things.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Nice grab @engie490 ! Love my 1C's, but they're not doing any duty right now.

And @ratpin go get em! LNIB, wow! :)

Welcome to you both btw!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.