Adcom 5802 power amplifier

Options
pitdogg2
pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
edited June 2020 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Time to move some gear. I bought this from a former forum member and it is one of the cleanest examples I've seen. The seller and I met up at Axpona two years ago so it has never been shipped. Yes it does have a few blemishes. I will show them in the pictures and none are outstanding and in your face, in other words it is very presentable and looks very good.
The amp is rated at 300wpc @ 8ohm and 450wpc @4 ohm. I believe it was the highest rated stereo power amp Adcom made. I DO NOT have the original box so I'd love to be able to meet with the buyer to hand it over. My fear is that this amp has a very delicate toggle switch on the front and I'm afraid it could get broke in shipping. I've contacted Adcom and they tell me it is no longer available so that would be something NOT to break.
It's a very good sounding amp and it is a BEAST at about 65 lbs(guessing).

I will say this amp is biased high into the class A range so it runs very warm at idle which is completely normal. It will need lot of room to dissipate the heat.

I'm asking 850.00. I've seen them sell on the auction site for much more in a lot worse shape with scratches all over the front and sides. Typical sales on the bay are 1100+ from what I could see.

My location is central Illinois. I'm willing to drive to meet. Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Missouri and Kentucky if you're willing to split the distance we can see if we can work it out.

Post edited by pitdogg2 on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    edited June 2020
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2020
    Options
    431labz47j2c.jpg
    iphp57wdz6mj.jpg
    jmp22elkanuj.jpg
    Reflection from flash in the fins.
    hpa4mvij56dd.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Look at all those output devices!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,548
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Is that the Lincoln Welder substitute?

Nice amp!

I cant buy it but if someone wanted it shipped how difficult would it be to unscrew the back of the toggle switch to let it recess into the amp for protection?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Power switches like or similar are available all over the place.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Toggle switch is buried and soldered and part of a board it does not unscrew.

It would not be an easy fix. Yes it may be fixable but I'd rather not find out. At this time I'd rather not ship.

Please lets not bury this in discussion like my last Carver TFM25 thread.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I have seen this amp. It is very clean. Trustworthy seller.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Ivan, what pre-amp did you use with this? Just thinking out loud here, Iowa City is halfway, about four hours each way, an eight hour round-trip each.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Adcom 555ii and 565. I have also used a Dared sl2000.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options

pitdogg2 wrote: »

How did the Dared sound with the Adcom?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

How did the Dared sound with the Adcom?

Very good. It drove the heck out of it.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Serious piece of kit for, ultimately, not a lot of coin.

Hard to believe it’s still here.

GLWTS

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    ^^^ Agreed. Flagship Adcom amp here folks. Matched with a tube pre this could be end game for some!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Please don't post your email address here. We love to use it for less than honorable purposes... Not to mention the seller won't even give you the time of day without having at least 100 meaningful posts as with the rest of us.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2020
    Options
    hey buddy,

i am interested in this i have sent details of the contact but i have not received a response could you mail me your tel nos and location details and will get in touch and hopefully finalize this.
    Well I'm not sure you have read my info above. I plainly stated where I'm at and where I'm willing to drive to. If you had even looked at the pictures you would have answered you're own question.
    NO IT DOES NOT RUN ON 220V. If you need 220v then you're not in the driving distance I made clear.

So please tell me YOUR location.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options

So please tell me YOUR location.

Nigeria.....or some province of Scamistan.

BDT

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Options
    I had 5802 for years on a HT/Stereo set-up. Super powerful and sounds nice. I paired it with the Adcom GFP-750 and a Cary SLP-03. It worked really well with both. GLWS
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    This has SOLD Thanks for the easy transaction @Bigbang.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
  • Bigbang
    Bigbang Posts: 233
    Options
    Thank you!! That Adcom is is a tank. Now I just need some pin/blade speakers to enjoy it. Thanks for making the transaction easy. 10/10!!
    I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Bigbang wrote: »
    Thank you!! That Adcom is is a tank. Now I just need some pin/blade speakers to enjoy it. Thanks for making the transaction easy. 10/10!!

Like the ones in your Avatar, make sure you got a Dreadnought or an A1 with those Pin Blades. Nice Amp congratulations to both parties.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Congrats Ivan and buyer!!
  • Bigbang
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Lol. That switch is anxiety inducing. I just know my kid is going to walk by it and snap it off. I’m thinking about trimming it down with a dremel. Love the amp. Love how it sounds at low volume and well clearly it sounds great at higher volumes. I’m almost scared of it.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I'm very glad you're digging it. I had it on an amp stand. The switch was back far enough from the front to not induce any anxiety. You'd break a toe bone before and switch was involved.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    I'd like to do the silverface mod to an Adcom. That'd be a looker. The switch could also be updated.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited July 2020
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I'd like to do the silverface mod to an Adcom. That'd be a looker. The switch could also be updated.

Would you mock it up from scratch or retool existing faceplate? I’m not familiar with machining process
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Bigbang
    Options
    Yeah. Definitely looking for inspiration
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    I'd just strip the anodizing with a caustic solution, then hand sand it with a fine grit. The defect on the edge can be machine beveled to look new.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I'd just strip the anodizing with a caustic solution, then hand sand it with a fine grit. The defect on the edge can be machine beveled to look new.

That’s exactly what I plan to do with with my Adcom GFP 750. Only thing holding me back is figuring out how to engrave or reprint the lettering on the front. I had a plan with some of the R&D guys at work but they’ve all been working from home since this whole Covid thing started so my plans got put on the back burner.