Yamaha RX-A1080 or Denon AVR-X3600H?

I've had the Polk Audio S60E since the weekend and when i listen to them i can't shake the feeling that my Denon AVR-X1600H is too weak to fully power them? Could that be true?

Anyway, looking online for more powerful receiver has me struggling.. Should i go with a Denon 3600H or a Yamaha 1080? In general, most communities claim that yamaha avr's are superior. However, many reviewing sites actually say the denon 3600 is far superior...

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    If you are running 2 channel only you don't want an AVR. Look for a good integrated amp or separates.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yes it matters whether this is a HT setup or two channel. Two channel get a nice integrated. HT, both of the earlier versions of those models I owned were great for HT, but I did think the next step up Denon was a nice up from the Yamaha, but comparing an rx-a1010 with an avr-x4200w isn’t quite fair. I think you’ll be happy with either, but you may find you still want more power and end up adding a 2 channel amplifier, which is what I did.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Derico
    Derico Posts: 8
    I picked avr over Stereo amplifier because i wanted to keep the option open to add 1-2 subwoofers + 1 Center somewhere in the future
  • Derico
    edited June 2020
    Let's say I'm not going to add a center speaker. In that case, how about a Denon DRA-800H ? Would that be significantly better for my setup? At 8 Ohms that would still only be 20 Watts more than my current AVR-X1600H, right? That's probably not much of an upgrade, right?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    20 wpc is not worth the effort UNLESS you need something else it offers. If it's just the watts you'll never be able to tell.
  • rooftop59
    Derico wrote: »
    Let's say I'm not going to add a center speaker. In that case, how about a Denon DRA-800H ? Would that be significantly better for my setup? At 8 Ohms that would still only be 20 Watts more than my current AVR-X1600H, right? That's probably not much of an upgrade, right?

That looks like a cool piece of kit for a smaller setup, but I would go with the 3600H personally. It looks very similar to my 4200w, which is an excellent avr and not too shabby for music listening imho...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Derico
    Alright, thanks a lot for your help man. I'll probably wait untill the denon 3700 is released in germany which will be around mid August
  • Question

Can you hook up an older Pioneer SG 9800 Eq to a Yamaha RX - A1080 receiver
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Why would you, the AVR has all kinds of calibrations/adjustments.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    Papermaker wrote: »
    Questionn

Can you hook up an older Pioneer SG 9800 Eq to a Yamaha RX - A1080 receiver

I agree with Jesse, the avr has much better calibaration measurements and almost infinite user tweakability if that's what you want.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1