Wireworld Silver Eclipse Speaker Cables IN THE HOUSE!

Got home today and my new (to me) Wireworld SE-7's arrived! Been kicking around this upgrade since @DSkip recommended the Eclipses. I've respected his "ear" and if an audio dealer uses them they gotta be good right? Well when I upgraded from my Monster Cable Z-2 Reference to the WW Mini-Eclipses I was shocked at the difference in clarity and imaging. Good used ones come up for sale in the $300 range and new they are $500+ for a pair depending on length. Luckily for SDA owners we can get away with short lengths and the 13ga of the Mini's is plenty stout for most anything out there power wise.

In case you're wondering I'm running Polk Audio SDA 1C's, Cambridge Audio 851N DAC/Streamer, a Belles 21A preamp modded with Mundorf Supreme caps and a pair of refreshed B&K M200 Sonata's. All these are connected with Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's. I play tunes via Tidal Master on my laptop through a USB cable to the CA 851N. I've tried using the Cambridge Audio StreamMagic app but the music seems bloated and just not as pleasing to the ears. Don't beat me up. I don't know why.

Hooking up the WW SE's was a pain in the a$$ to say the least. They are 3/4" in diameter and not near as flexible as the Mini's so tucking extra cable behind something (like speakers) proved to be more challenging. The nice thing about the WW cables are if the spades don't work for your setup (which they didn't for me) you can easily unscrew the ends and replace them with banana plugs.

Wireworld Eclipse cables come standard with silver plated OFC terminals which just impresses the crap out of me! That and the ability to swap out to different ends is super impressive.

So how do they sound? Well first thing I did was play some of my reference tunes through the Mini-Eclipses just to warm up the tubes and get a good handle on my starting point. Then I swapped in the Silver Eclipses. First thing I noticed was the music seemed more effortless in it's approach. Everything from Subsonic Bass to the highs were more crisp. Don't get me wrong I think the Mini's did an excellent job at clarity and imaging but the SE's polished that to another level. The only track I had a problem with was a video on Tidal by Halsey titled "You Should Be Sad". The SE's made her voice almost unbearable. If her voice really is that "harsh" I'd hate to have her mad at me....

Now I know there are the naysayers out there that will say there couldn't possibly be that much difference between a $100 pair of speaker cables and one that costs thousands but it's true. Someone here once said "If a $1,000 cable can make a $2,000 amp sound like a $10,000 amp where's the better deal here?" Thanks Derek. You made a believer out of me.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice review. I have the SE 8. I agree on them sounding more open and effortless. On my rig they were a great match.

Congrats!!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    I too run SE 8 in the stereo system, and I love them. I compared it against High Fidelity reveal series, and Acoustic Zen Satori cables. The WW SE8 won hands down. The whole sound stage was at a different level.

Congratulations and enjoy! They are some really nice cables.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    audioluvr wrote: »
    <snip> if an audio dealer uses them they gotta be good right?
    No.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    @audioluvr
    Congrats on the new cables! Glad you were finally able to pick up a set and you are enjoying them.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Congrats. I don't need convincing but it's great to know you hear the difference. Enjoy!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    <snip> if an audio dealer uses them they gotta be good right?
    No.
    LOL, I see some people have laughed at this comment. I just gotta laugh back at the reactions. Please allow me to clarify.

Bob Carver is a dealer, right? He literally used Wal-Mart surge protectors and lamp cord for SC's when he hooked up his famed Silver Seven tube amps. I have known some dealers back in the day that actually used Monster Cables. I saw dealers at LSAF using SC's that I would not consider "good" SC's. One of them was so thin, I'm surprised that any signal went through them at all.

With that said, is lamp cord or Monster Cable speaker cables considered good to you? If you have no experience, just look back at the OP's first post for his comparison between Monster Cable Reference SC's and his new Wire World speaker cables. This is in his own words, not mine.

Look, some dealers don't use what they prefer or what sounds better. They use what they sell so they can make profit off of it or they simply do not believe that they make a difference at all.

Maybe you did not think or know about this when you reacted the way you did but dealers are not the end all to be all when it comes to speaker cables. Some of them literally think that they are an afterthought and they will sometimes "borrow" a pair of SC's from another dealer just to make their system "appear" better at a show.

I know of this first hand because I have spoken directly with the dealers (the horse's mouth) about this very thing.

Saying or believing that "if an audio dealer uses them they gotta be good" is a blanket statement that is worthy of a challenge. It's simply not true.

Audio dealers are not Gods in the audio world. Neither are professional reviewers and for that matter, neither are manufacturers. Would you say that their speaker cables must be good too just because they are in the business?

I didn't think so.

Now if you laughed at that too? Just remember that BOSE uses lamp cord to hook up their speakers.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I totally agree Tom. I mostly laughed at the statement because the delivery was so spot on.

But yes, it's a blanket statement and that's the problem. Some dealers are great for their customers. Some are great at making profits. Some are great and just showing people what they like. And some just aren't great.

Having said all that, I've got WW in the system now. I don't think they are the top of the cable mountain, but for my price point and current needs, I think they work very very well. Enough that when it's time to upgrade, I'll have WW in the mix for consideration. Glad the OP is enjoying his.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    This issue with dealers is motivation.

When Wally was cut off from his manufacturers of a year or so back, the recommendation for those brands went with it. Same with Skip and Dayens. When brands don’t do business well with dealers, those dealers don’t recommend those brands. Not because they don’t sound good or anything to do with performance at all, but because they no longer fit their business.

This forum is quite the opposite, folks on here still tout the old SDAs, a recommendation of which they would never profit from. Does that mean they are the be all, end all speakers? Who knows.

Point is, I laughed because you are right. Just because any dealer (and I still consider Skip and friend and good at what he does) recommends brands does not mean that they are worth the coin or even really good.
  • joecoulson
    Ok so I just got berated

Let me clarify, I was not trying to loop Skip into the category of just selling what fits, if anything I wanted to single him out as one of the better ones. But the understanding I had about Dayens was they did not treat customers well and therefore became a non-fit for his business. If that is not the case, then please someone (who can post here) correct me. The point I made about that specifically is that everyone raved about how Dayens sounded until that happened. Then they slowly disappeared from this forum’s chatter.

My last statement specifically separated Skip from my general statement.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    joecoulson wrote: »
    This issue with dealers is motivation.

When Wally was cut off from his manufacturers of a year or so back, the recommendation for those brands went with it. Same with Skip and Dayens. When brands don’t do business well with dealers, those dealers don’t recommend those brands. Not because they don’t sound good or anything to do with performance at all, but because they no longer fit their business.

This forum is quite the opposite, folks on here still tout the old SDAs, a recommendation of which they would never profit from. Does that mean they are the be all, end all speakers? Who knows.

Point is, I laughed because you are right. Just because any dealer (and I still consider Skip and friend and good at what he does) recommends brands does not mean that they are worth the coin or even really good.

Just for some clarification, Skip’s issues were with Dayen’s US distributor at that time, not Dayens themselves.
    Skip has recommended Dayens even after he cut ties with the distributor by suggesting potential customers work directly with that distributor.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lunacy.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • joecoulson
    Thank You for clarifying Ryan.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Tom. I laughed because I was being facetious in my original post and your response was blunt, true and made me laugh.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    Gotcha, gentlemen. I read into your responses incorrectly and for that, I'll offer you my apologies. I clearly took the responses the wrong way. My bad.

Tom
  • joecoulson
    Wow. Group hug
  • audioluvr
    Jealous...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Apologies for the derail, but last I spoke to Skip, he was again able to carry Dayens.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I can't physically tolerate the smell of the Polyvinyl chloride jackets that WW uses on their cables.
  • audioluvr
    edited June 2020
    You could have a sensitivity to it. Doesn't bother me. Women's perfume makes me sneeze though
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• joecoulson
    I think you’re right, I do have a sensitivity to Tom.
  • treitz3
    Awe, puddin'......

I love it when you talk sweet nothings to me. Gets me all giddy inside.

Tom
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I probably should let it die, but just to add to the conversation about Skip. It would have been irresponsible for him to recommend a product that a customer couldn’t have repaired/serviced if something went wrong.

Heck, he apologized to me several times because of an issue I had with my Ecstacy. It was a minor thing and didn’t really bother me, but he was still put out that he couldn’t get it taken care of for me.

Back on topic: Congrats on the cables. Very happy with my WW cables and they are a few notches below the Silvers I believe.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • audioluvr
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    @audioluvr
    Congrats on the new cables! Glad you were finally able to pick up a set and you are enjoying them.

Thanks! Timing with funds wasn't right earlier but once the majority of people just basically said "F**K the corona virus and did their best to keep the world economy going regardless of the the world wanting to shut down I went back to looking. I had several guys at work that were convinced they had it but just stayed home and did their best to keep it to themselves.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC