LSi15 to LSiM705?

Options
mkellypc
mkellypc Posts: 12
I've had my LSi set up for 15+ years. LSi15s, LSiC, and LSi7s for surround (since replaced with in ceiling). Powered by Adcom amps from a Marantz SR5010. I had grown tired of the LSiC and recently replaced it with a LSiM704c.
I have since decided to try some new towers, and with the price reductions of the LSim line it seems like a good time to upgrade.
Looking for real world experience comparing the LSi15s to the LSiM705s, the 707s are not a consideration for me due to size.
My biggest complaint of the LSi15s is that they need to be at a relatively high volume to really sound good. Low level background levels really was not great.
Used for both theater use and music.
I'm also considering the RTiA9's / CSiA6 or would that be a significant downgrade?
Thanks in advance for any input

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Haven’t heard either of those towers, only the bookie versions. The 703s do wake up easier than the LSi9s, and are a bit more linear.

What’s your budget? Is used an option? Lots of great speakers out there for really good prices as demos or gently used...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mkellypc
    Options
    I'm not usually opposed to used or demo equipment, but usually prefer new when it comes to speakers/subs. Just my preference. For budget and fair comparisons to the current LSiM and RTiA line let's say $450-700 per speaker. However I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole of looking into endless speakers so for now let's stick to the ones that I mentioned. Thanks for your response!
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Well, based on my experience with the LSi and LSiM bookies, it’s a very clear step up to the LSiMs fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,451
    Options
    How big is your room?
    I see you haven't mentioned a sub. Do you have one?
    The 705s can be swallowed up in a big room without a sub. In a more moderately sized room, they can fill it out better.

I know what you mean about LSi series requiring volume to come alive.

Since you mentioned music, skip the RTiA series and go LSiM. Or go Signatures for a better combo use speaker.

For fuller sound at lower listening levels, bring in a sub, and or consider the LSiM 703s over the 705s. The 705s are more balanced, but the 703s sound fatter.

I'm wondering whether you'd find the background music performance more to your liking if you brought in a capable sub and got it blended with your LSi15s.

I've recently been experimenting with this with a pair of LSi7s, which I thought I was done with. I rebuilt a small Deftech Suoercube III, and I'm finding it to be a very nice combination for music, even at lower listening levels. Side note here, in a small to moderate space, 703s can provide a reasonably full sound at low to mid listening levels without a sub.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mkellypc
    Options
    I have dual SVS PB16 ultras.... so yeah I have a sub. Room is about 4000 cu'
  • msg
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yeaht, you're all set there! Haha

Well, personally, I don't like the 705s in a big space, even with a sub, but can't compare to the LSi15s. Hopefully another member has had that direct experience to share.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Hochpt had the LSi-15’s and then the 705’s, IIRC.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    The LSi were a love hate for me. I always wanted to get a set but I knew they needed a ton of power to sound their best. I heard them hooked up with power once, a lot different from the Fry's demo.

I've owned RTi-8 and Signatures before my 705's. I think the RTi are best for movies. Signatures were a great speaker. The LSiM are next level sweet and smooth.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • msg
    Options
    Loren, I think your space would be a good example for 705s doing well. My main space is too open for them due to reno ideas, and lends to bass suckout, so they sound thin, and struggling.
    I disabled signatures.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    Unless you just prefer towers, I’d go 703’s with those monster subs you’ve got. I went from modded LSi15 to 703 and it was an upgrade...and I only have a single, meager SVS Plus/2 sub.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mkellypc
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Unless you just prefer towers, I’d go 703’s with those monster subs you’ve got. I went from modded LSi15 to 703 and it was an upgrade...and I only have a single, meager SVS Plus/2 sub.

I've read/heard that before. However in my setup towers actually look alot better, and I can get the 705s for less than the 703s.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    mkellypc wrote: »
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

I've read/heard that before. However in my setup towers actually look alot better, and I can get the 705s for less than the 703s.

Go for it!! I’ve heard several people say that the 705 is the sweet spot of the LSiM series. I’ve heard them and was close to pulling the trigger on a pair myself , but a pair of Usher MD2 that I now own became available.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I had 15’s first stock and then put the sub mod in. Sold them and moved up to the 705’s.

15’s were the first speaker that really opened my eyes to great sound. I really, really liked them. The sub mod did improve them but only incrementally.

The 705’s are like a magnum version of the 15’s to me. Fuller, meatier and elevated all around. Only sold them for financial reasons at the time, but I’ve since picked up some 703’s for my smaller room, just because I love the sound.

I used them in a fairly large room with various electronics, and was always happy. If you like the sound on the 15’s, I think you will love the 705’s.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • msg
    Options
    Good info on the room size, Paul.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    Options
    All I know is I can't say anything bad about my 705's. I just can't use them as much with the wife working from home now..
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Yeaht, you're all set there! Haha

Well, personally, I don't like the 705s in a big space, even with a sub, but can't compare to the LSi15s. Hopefully another member has had that direct experience to share.

In your opinion, what would you consider a big space for the 705s? I think my room is borderline on the larger size for them, even with a sub.
  • msg
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have mine in a bit of a T-shaped space, the way it works out with an open floor plan. It's about 16x28 without the side wings of the T, 8ft ceiling.

As always, placement is key. The best option for placement in my main space - utilizing the short-side walls - would block a window. Current placement has the front stage on the long wall instead, losing the benefit of side walls. The sub helps some with this, but the 705s seem flatter, thinner and seem to struggle in comparison to the 703s in this setup.

One of the T legs opens into a hall at another T, which I think is causing bass suckout in addition to the less than ideal placement.

I'm oddly having very pleasing results in this space with a recent 2ch experiment with LSi7s and a Deftech Supercube III in a different location than my main sub. Has me curious to try the 705s in this configuration.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mkellypc
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thank you for all the input. I am now the owner of a pair of mahogany LSiM705s!
    What would be a reasoneable asking price for a pair of LSi15s, LSiC center and 3 -LSi7s in pristine condition?
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    You’d have to do some research, but I sold my 15’s with a modded sub for $500 about 6 years ago.

Another factor is the blowout sales that there have been on LSiM series over the past couple of years.

You could always just keep them like we all do. B)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • rooftop59
    edited June 2020
    Options
    What would be a reasoneable asking price for a pair of LSi15s, LSiC center and 3 -LSi7s in pristine condition?

You’ll always get more selling separate even though it’s tempting to sell together for ease. Another guy here has been trying to sell 9s, center, and LSifx for a while for $580 now and they still are sitting here. I would auction the center and 7s on eBay and see what you can get locally for the 15s. I wouldn’t start higher than 500 and figure I would be happy to get 350-400.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

You’ll always get more selling separate even though it’s tempting to sell together for ease. Another guy here has been trying to sell 9s, center, and LSifx for a while for $580 now and they still are sitting here. I would auction the center and 7s on eBay and see what you can get locally for the 15s. I wouldn’t start higher than 500 and figure I would be happy to get 350-400.

I agree, I've had my 706c up for sale for over a month, a few hit but it's still in my closet