Decision made!!! Going Dual....

I'll be moving onto Dual SVS PB16-Ultras!!! I'll be placing my order sometime this week. As much as I loved the thought of going with Dual JTR captivators, just can't justify the price at the moment. Not only that, if I place a order for the dual SVS's I'll save $200. Can't wait to see the difference over the dual SVS PB12-Plus/2's that I'm currently using, according to SVS it should be quite an improvement. Guess we will see in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone else made such a move that you can share your experience, I'd love to hear about it.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I went from a single PB13-Ultra to Dual SB4000's and the difference was astounding... I do not miss the ported monstrosity and placement issues that come with it and the dual SB4000's give a greater experience overall.

I hope you have help moving them....
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    You are gonna love it, especially when dialed into your rig/room/mains. While I have not heard that exact sub in stereo, I do have the Rythmik F-25's hooked up in stereo and flanking the mains. When I did this, I had not realized just how much or the lower registers were also in stereo.

Running dual subs also seems to even out some room deficiencies as well.

One suggestion if you have the room and if they are wired in stereo.....place both subs on some solid stands that have the center of the woofer at your tweeter height and toe them in to be pointed straight at you.

I did this and the visceral impact, realism, sound stage, cohesion, imaging and performance height (where the performers were up on the stage) were all improved in words that would be very difficult for me to describe. After experiencing this, I will never go back to stereo subs on the floor. Just a friendly suggestion to try out if you have the room.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    I hope you have help moving them....

My son is out of college for the summer so he's home for the summer, LOL!!

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You are gonna love it, especially when dialed into your rig/room/mains. While I have not heard that exact sub in stereo, I do have the Rythmik F-25's hooked up in stereo and flanking the mains. When I did this, I had not realized just how much or the lower registers were also in stereo.

Running dual subs also seems to even out some room deficiencies as well.

One suggestion if you have the room and if they are wired in stereo.....place both subs on some solid stands that have the center of the woofer at your tweeter height and toe them in to be pointed straight at you.

I did this and the visceral impact, realism, sound stage, cohesion, imaging and performance height (where the performers were up on the stage) were all improved in words that would be very difficult for me to describe. After experiencing this, I will never go back to stereo subs on the floor. Just a friendly suggestion to try out if you have the room.

Tom

Good point Tom. I think this is why you see companies like REL using arrays of stacked subs.

I only have two currently but would like to give an additional two a try. I was very surprised at how the two changed the overall texture of my current setup.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Congrats, I look forward to hearing what your impressions are.
    Are you trading the Plus/2s in?

If not, where do you live again??? B)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    You can save a little more if you watch the inventory in the SVS outlet. Usually minor if any cosmetic defects.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    polrbehr wrote: »
    If not, where do you live again??? B)

I'm sure I'll have one if not both up for sale very soon, Virginia by the way, LOL!!

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I've got a single plus/2. Can't imagine duals. That said I'd take a hard look at Rythmik if you haven't before you commit to the SVS.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I do have the Rythmik F-25's hooked up in stereo and flanking the mains.

Hey Tom what freq. do you cross your subs over at?
  • treitz3
    edited June 2020
    Hmmm, that is a loaded question. The F-25's have a plethora of adjustments, each one affecting the others and how it reacts to the room, to the mains and to the overall presentation as to the end result as to what hits your ears.

Stock photo from Rythmik Website below
    99830tqjxsyp.png

Normally, I am between 32 and as high as 48, which I think is too high in my room but where it sits at depends on so many other factors within the control panel. It was set at 42 ever since I readjusted it for the addition of the Canary. Only this past weekend have I started futz'n around again to see if I could improve the sound.

The limiter is usually off, PEQ on, gain at 0, bandwidth at 3:00 and frequency at 32-35. The subwoofer toggles are at AVR/12, rumble filter off while the LP rig is currently unconnected. The extension filter toggles are at 14 for frequency with high damping. The delay is set at 0, non LFE crossover overridden by EQ (but usually set at 38) with the volume set at 11:15.

As you can see, it's not just where I set the frequency. I tune them all by ear and these settings are what I have found to be my "starting point" based upon my room, how they respond and blend with the mains and how the entire system presents itself when sitting in the listening position.

Self admitted, these are not the easiest subs to dial in and given the location within the room, it takes a while just to do one simple adjustment and evaluate what changes it just made to the end result as to what hits your ears.

For example, if you make a change in the damping, you may want to make changes in the frequency, gain and volume. You do it on one and then you have to do it to the other and in my room, where they are located? This is not an easy task.

So, to answer your question, that's a loaded question and though I have a starting point for the room/rig/mains and their settings? It is still work in progress until I am 100% confident I absolutely nailed it.

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Do you use a room analysis software to assist with dialing it in, and confirming the response that you're getting? A lot of those knobs aren't clearly marked with white lines and/or detents so it seems like a tricky process.
  • treitz3
    No and it is a tricky process. I had a Velodyne SMS-1 before and after "optimizing" it, I ended up dialing that one in by ear as well to achieve the best end result.

Measurements are overrated and can't tell you how the perception of imaging is changed, it can't offer any information on height information or other locational cues of the reproductive effort. Measurements can't tell you how the perception of space or the size of venue is observed/perceived to the listener. They are and can be a very useful tool for those who are not intimately familiar with frequencies, nodes and the like and how they affect the end result as to what hits your ears but along my audio journey, that it. It's a guide. A useful one but one that has its limits.

I built my system guided by my ear, tuned it by ear, adjusted everything by ear and while I may not have achieved perfection (I never will), I damned sure have exceeded excellence.

Getting back on topic, the dual subs helped me to achieve where I am at now in my audio journey and the OP should be very pleased.

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Velodyne was my introduction to what truly deep bass sounded like.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2020
    My apologies to the OP for all of the off topic posts. The Velodyne SMS-1 in combination with a VMPS Larger with upgrades was my introduction to true lower registers and an outstanding (or rather, seamless) blend with regards to the mains to the subs and both to the room. It taught me many things and was an invaluable learning experience.

The dual Rythmik F-25's have surpassed that previous combo.

Tom
  • nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    Going duals is the best way to capture the depth of your sound system. I was looking at the SVS 3000 subs and at the last minute, I went with the SB16 subs. Ive had them for almost 2 months and I do enjoy the bass as I went 2 yrs without it as my old system was good but had issues. I also wondered how it would sound with just one sub, so I would turn one off and it was lacking depth. With 2 subs, its effortless and I really feel at home when the subs tremble and make the room come alive. The bass is astonishing despite turning the volume down so it sounds more natural rather than obnoxious. I did get to experience an SVS 3000 that my sister bought at the same time. She placed it behind the couch and that was enjoyable from a single sub. I told her just think what 2 would do?
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Good plan going with two. I visited my friends house. He has the SB-16. That thing is a monster and could pressurize the room very well. But I could not stop noticing where it was. With him having just one I could tell exactly where it was located during listening. Now he uses it for mostly theater/movies but other than the SPL I thought two would integrate better than the single.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    tratliff wrote: »
    Good plan going with two. I visited my friends house. He has the SB-16. That thing is a monster and could pressurize the room very well. But I could not stop noticing where it was. With him having just one I could tell exactly where it was located during listening. Now he uses it for mostly theater/movies but other than the SPL I thought two would integrate better than the single.

Usually indicative of a polarity mismatch on the mains, mine blends seamlessly but it used to call out its location the same way. That is until I dialed in the polarity and phase.
    But still would like to have another.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    Yes indeed...twin subs are the way to go. They really help ironing out room node issues & give a nice even expansive bass response.
    I'm running twin Velo SPL 1200R for HT duties & a KEF Kube 8b for 2 channel. Looking to pick up a second.... but I've
    Been eyeing the KEF KF92 & they just released their new KC62 - twin 6.5 woofers hitting down to 11 hz! There is a lot of new technology involved in that bad boy.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2021
  • pearsall001
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Working on getting the KC62 in for review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfWpQ9uMF-c

Nice!!! I'm anxious to hear your review.
    I'm actually holding off picking up another Kube 8b until reviews start coming out on the KC62.
    I'll tell you what though I was astonished at the performance of the little 8b in a room my size. KEF's R&D is really cutting edge.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Clipdat
    I'd like to review the R3s and the new LS50 Metas as well.
  • pearsall001
    I currently have the R3's and they are dynamite! I progressed from the Q300 to the Q900 & now the R3. The Uni-Q that KEF has developed is really the magic sauce that just let's the music flow... rather addicting.

The new LS50 Meta are absolute marvels. Get your ears on them for sure. You'll be gobsmacked!

Can't wait to read your impression of the KC62

My local dealer has the entire lineup (minus the Muon). I've listened to them all. Don't even get me started talking about the Blade or the Reference Series.
  • Clipdat
    Back in 2012 I heard the R300s powered by a NAD C316BEE being fed from a Marantz CD5004 at a local shop, and it's what got me hooked on HiFi.

So, reviewing the R3s would kinda be like coming back to that initial moment and revisiting the magic. I'm not sure they need any more positive reviews on the LS50 Meta but would love to check those out as well since the original LS50s were so highly regarded.
  • pearsall001
    KEF made over 1,000 new revisions from the R300 to the new R3. If you thought the R300's sounded great you definitely have to get a pair of R3's in for a review. Maybe you can snag a pair when you do the KC62 review.

I spoke with my dealer today, he's getting the KC62 in next week & he's already taking orders. Dang! I might have to think about this one.