Bad Woofer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    Stupid question maybe, but it's not even labeled? I personally don't know how to ID it as a 6511.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Sound_Recluse
    Options
    Its a 4 ohm speaker.. test it with a meter
  • Sound_Recluse
    Options
    post a picture as well
  • windstriker
    windstriker Posts: 136
    Options
    Yes it is labeled as 6511 but I have a suspicious mind so shrug.
    I will need to get meter
    pbbmaw21cla6.jpg

v0u93z2o1zn8.jpg

• Sound_Recluse
    Options
    I have one just like that.. it came out of a sda1c and looks identical. Im using it in my 2.3s. One thing I noticed (as stated before in this thread) is that the original 6511s in my 2.3s have a thicker dust cover (harder to see through) than the replacement 6511. Also the surround on the cone on the original 6511s are taller for more throw than the replacement. But the are both marked 6511. But they seem to have different parameters. On a 20hz test tone the replacment 6511 (marked sda 1c) bottoms out before the original 6511s do.. so I'm thinking they made different designed 6511s. But I'm still using it till I find a replacement that matches the other original 6511s. They are hard to come by as you know. Better to have the speakers going than nothing at all. Also if your looking for and inexpensive meter I just ordered one from Amazon. It also has a function to test capacitor. I post link for you
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SHLS639?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options

The rubber surrounds Polk used were paper thin. All these aftermarket rubber surrounds are too thick. They completely alter the T/S parameters of the woofer. This is one of the reasons Polks vintage woofers were so unique. The Resonance Frequency and VAS is extremely hard to match with any current 6.5" woofers.

So if the surrounds that Midwest is marketing as suitable replacements are too thick, what about the surrounds they are using to mfg the Polk replacement MW's? Makes me wonder if they are the same thing or they are keeping the thin ones to themselves.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Sound_Recluse
    Options
    I'm not sure about the replacement mws polk makes. But I know I've called about 6511 replacements and they no longer have them. So I'm just waiting for one to pop up on ebay. In the meantime the sda1c 6511 works fine
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    They didn't make different mw6511's for the different speakers they were used in. Mw6511 in the 2.3 is the same as 1c or 2b all the same.
  • Sound_Recluse
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    They didn't make different mw6511's for the different speakers they were used in. Mw6511 in the 2.3 is the same as 1c or 2b all the same.

Mine look different. Unless its a different model with a 6511 sticker
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited June 2020
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Mine look different. Unless its a different model with a 6511 sticker

Are the voice leads on the woofer covered by the dust cap? In the late 90' early 2000's i think they made a new run of the some of the woofers. The difference was originally the dust cap didn't cover the leads later the did. That I was always lead the believe was the only difference and easiest way to tell original or 2nd gen replacement models. Electronically they were supposed to be the same. I could never tell a difference between my original and 2nd gen mw6501 except for the dust cap area.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes it is labeled as 6511 but I have a suspicious mind so shrug.
    I will need to get meter
    pbbmaw21cla6.jpg

v0u93z2o1zn8.jpg

That is WITHOUT question an original MW6511. You can now sleep well.....geeesh!!!

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk