Any interest in SDA CRS reproduction speaker stands?

Comments

• CompactSDA
    CompactSDA Posts: 47
    Yes, very coolio . . . but again . . . which are you interested in please? Thanks.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    CompactSDA wrote: »
    @TroyD et al.: For ready reference . . .
    Bigbang wrote: »
    hlfml83i3g6l.jpeg
    Westmassguy sent me this. Is 6 3/4” right on the top?

And yes, @westmassguy, that 6 3/4" measurement is correct.

What that doesn't show is the top and bottom ends are open with square plastic end caps. That allows one to pop the caps and separately fill the two sections with lead shot. The top section is completely sealed off from the two vertical posts. However, those vertical posts are open where they met the bottom section, which allows you to fill them. I was able to add 22 lbs. of shot per stand, which made a big difference.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Sorry, I’m interested in whatever is least complicated......but at the end of the day, I just need a pair of stands. Simple is good.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • CompactSDA
    edited June 2020
    TroyD wrote: »
    Sorry, I’m interested in whatever is least complicated......but at the end of the day, I just need a pair of stands. Simple is good.

With respect, which part of my (IMO simple) asks/instructions are you having trouble with?

With respect to him also, the original poster's endeavor has made little to no demonstrable progress in over four years. I've come into the conversation more recently with an alternative suggestion: newly-fabricated, original spec stands.

If you're interested in that latter option, have you contacted Shane Aziz at All American Metal Fabrication? It's like you're posting without reading at least the last few (of my) posts. This particular fabricator works in a manner such that a greater quantity of requested pieces reduces the price. Perhaps he can thereby spread out the labor costs via the multiple invoices.

It would therefore help actually advance the project if interested parties would post here--preferably including their real at least first name--saying you've called/e-mailed Aziz. I can then follow up with him and confirm exactly how many firm customers he has for these stands. Only then is it my understanding that he can thereby give me/us the best price quote.

Please--should you or anyone else have any questions PM me. Simply posting to this thread and doing nothing else does exactly that: Nothing. I'm looking to purchase (from this or another fabricator) by mid-July.
  • CompactSDA
    F1nut wrote: »
    @TroyD et al.: For ready reference . . .
    hlfml83i3g6l.jpeg
    Westmassguy sent me this. Is 6 3/4” right on the top?

And yes, @westmassguy, that 6 3/4" measurement is correct.

What that doesn't show is the top and bottom ends are open with square plastic end caps. That allows one to pop the caps and separately fill the two sections with lead shot. The top section is completely sealed off from the two vertical posts. However, those vertical posts are open where they met the bottom section, which allows you to fill them. I was able to add 22 lbs. of shot per stand, which made a big difference.

Thanks, F1. I'd be interested in a blind AQ test between speaks on these stands filled with lead shot versus resting 22 pounds of free weights on the base. :smiley:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Blind tests are worthless, please don't bring that up again.

Mass loading is a bit different than simply adding weight. When mass loaded not only is weight being added, but the stands become inert. With only weigh added at the base the rest of the stand will still resonate.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CompactSDA
    edited June 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    Blind tests are worthless, please don't bring that up again.

Mass loading is a bit different than simply adding weight. When mass loaded not only is weight being added, but the stands become inert. With only weigh added at the base the rest of the stand will still resonate.

Thanks for your second paragraph. With respect (to your post count), I'll bring up blind testing as I please. ;)
  • CompactSDA
    edited June 2020
    TroyD wrote: »

Again--despite some moderator deleting my post of several paragraphs of about 40 minutes ago responding to this--please get in touch with Shane Aziz at All American. It would be nice if you let me/us know your first name herein so there's less confusion about who is who when I call Aziz.

Just posting you're interested in this thread accomplishes nothing.

I'm looking to make this purchase--either for just myself or in concert with others for price reduction--by mid-July.

PM me with any questions. Thanks.
  • TroyD
    Huh? Maybe I’m missing something....but, whatever. I expressed my interest and answered your question.

Count me, count me out, pound sand, kick rocks....it’s all rock’n’roll to me.

You might be a nice guy but you exude jaggoff.

• CompactSDA
    edited June 2020
    Obviously not serious so thanks for clearing that *h*t right up!

And for the record, you did NOT answer ANY relevant questions other than a with a childish retort about wanting "whatever" (a non-responsive word you're apparently fond of).

For the cheap seats, the question was: Larry's option -or- newy-fabricated/original spec. Again, you did NOT answer that question.
  • Bigbang
    Bigbang Posts: 233
    Out of control.
    I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.
  • Bigbang
    Bigbang Posts: 233
    Can a moderator close this since the question has been asked and answered.
    I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.
  • CompactSDA
    edited June 2020
    Can a moderator close this since the question has been asked and answered.

To the extent the thread is "out of control," it's because of a couple of bad actors entering today with demonstrably no serious intention to get stands that I have posted about. If they were/are interested in Larry's stands, those parties have had FOUR YEARS to make that happen.

If indeed you feel "the question" being answered merits the thread being closed, @Bigbang, why did you express interest just last week (June 3: "I will do so. Thank you") in the option I'm presenting? If you've contacted All American, wonderful--I will follow up. But other folks entering with their condescensions and ad hominems doesn't mean the thread should be closed when other matters/options have been raised which other members are interested in.

Heck, even the OP has responded to me expressing interest in original spec stands contingent on price, thus my emphasis on getting folks to contact All American Metal.
    Post edited by CompactSDA on
  • hytekrednek
    hytekrednek Posts: 125
    I am interested in the newly made/polk spec stands, if the price is not to bad. These are for my shop stereo setup, so not looking for top shelf stuff, but well made and affordable would be nice. I might go $250-$300 all in. More than that and I will just build some nice maple stands, or perhaps a maple/aluminum mix construction. Thanks for doing the leg work. I have sda 2.3 tl's in the house, so I felt the "need" for SDA in the shop too, because why not?
  • CompactSDA
    I am interested in the newly made/polk spec stands, if the price is not to bad. These are for my shop stereo setup, so not looking for top shelf stuff, but well made and affordable would be nice. I might go $250-$300 all in. More than that and I will just build some nice maple stands, or perhaps a maple/aluminum mix construction. Thanks for doing the leg work. I have sda 2.3 tl's in the house, so I felt the "need" for SDA in the shop too, because why not?

Thanks, @hytekrednek. Will keep you apprised. I trust you've reached out to Shane?
  • hytekrednek
    No, not yet. Been busy with a very injured dog of mine. She has spine surgery and is recovering. I will reach out this week first chance I get.
  • CompactSDA
    No, not yet. Been busy with a very injured dog of mine. She has spine surgery and is recovering. I will reach out this week first chance I get.

Thanks and best to your pooch!
  • hytekrednek

Thank you! She is a great pup for sure. To help with organization, my name is Shaun F. from Alabama
  • CompactSDA
    Shaun:

Thank you! She is a great pup for sure. To help with organization, my name is Shaun F. from Alabama

Thank you . . . for your grasping the concept I'm proffering despite a sick dog! LOL.
  • TroyD
    JHC,

Look, I said I was interested in a pair of stands and I don't much care which design. Again, I was not that interested in the details. Speaker. Stand. Sit. easy peasy .....if there was a group order, I was in. How freaking complicated is that??

So, now you are all JoeButtHurt because you want to ramrod this and then you don't? GEEZUZ, cancel my subscription, I've already had enough of your issues.

And you ordered a pair of stands from AAFES...what does that have to do with anything? You want me to backdate an Achievement Medal for filling out the form correctly? Call the WHAAAAAA-mbulance already.

Jaggoff
  • CompactSDA
    edited June 2020
    Someone of course has a reading comprehension problem.

So as to avoid precisely the kind of misunderstanding you're suffering from, I said explicitly earlier in the thread that this is "not a "group buy.""

You can cancel your own "subscription" by leaving the thread since you're not interested enough in either option to move forward. You'd rather engage in personal attacks. It's not even clear what you're trying to say with "and then you don't?"

The AAFES receipt's 1988 date goes to (the ridiculousness of) this notion of my newness.

J-a-g-o-f-f.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
  • BEHAVE.

If you're not interested in the offer move along.
  • TroyD
    My apologies....moving along!
  • CompactSDA
    edited June 2020
    AlmaGarcia wrote: »
    BEHAVE.

If you're not interested in the offer move along.

Thank you very much, Ms. Garcia.

Estimate(s) soon I hope; interestingly, one of the fabricators says he's pretty busy despite CoV-19.

• hytekrednek
    Thank you for the chance to get a stand set, but I have decided to just make my own. They will not be as nice looking, but they are for my shop stereo so looks dont matter as much as function. Thanks again
  • CompactSDA
    edited September 2020
    Mazel tov on finding a pair.
    krazypolk wrote: »
    . . . however they dont have any spikes, but the bottoms are ready to accommodate them.

And in my experience, the 1/4" spikes are easily enough fabricated. And the speakers are more "easily" found than the stands! LOL.
    Post edited by CompactSDA on
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    krazypolk wrote: »
    They indeed appear to be original crs stands, however they dont have any spikes, but the bottoms are ready to accommodate them. Now all I need are some crs . :)

Cart before the horse. True Polkie. Congrats on a nice freebie score
    Now ya just need 22lbs of lead shot ....and CRSs, of course

I’ve never heard them. I imagine they’re much like my 2B Studios?? yet a ‘lil different 😝

Rock On
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12