Is audio science review serious?

invalid
invalid Posts: 1,271
Audio science review keeps pushing these topping dacs, do they actually sound good or just measure good

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Measurements are a valuable data point, but one’s own ears should ultimately decide whether you like the sound of a component.

I have a Topping D10 DAC on my computer setup and enjoy it’s performance.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    ASR probably has their agenda so the old school rule of personal experience with your gear will outweigh any review. Reviews are great but for the most part are nothing more than the reviewers opinion and everyone has their own opinion.
    If you are interested just check out their return policy and if it's flexible give one a try and let your ears tell ya. 😉
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited June 2020
    Thinking of that dude as a joke is giving him too much credit. He's a bad joke!

I hear he's added measuring speakers recently. Measuring in his garage. And (some) people read his numbers and think they mean something worthwhile.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • invalid
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Measurements are a valuable data point, but one’s own ears should ultimately decide whether you like the sound of a component.

I have a Topping D10 DAC on my computer setup and enjoy it’s performance.

Most of the people on that site act like the topping dac is better than the PS audio Directstream dac. I'm sure it's fine for a computer system, but is it qualified for a high end audio system?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    They are extremely measurement driven/oriented, actual sound-be-damned. If you take that into account, their reviews can be somewhat meaningful.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited June 2020
    Actually Steve, be careful believing even his numbers. His have been shown repeatedly to not be the same of other more experienced bench techs. A hack doesn't really relay hardly anything of use and may possibly yield harm to those behind the equipment that he defaces.

BTW...my quote at the bottom is from that fool.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • invalid
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    Actually Steve, be careful believing even his numbers. His have been shown repeatedly to not be the same of other more experienced bench techs. A hack doesn't really relay hardly anything of use and may possibly yield harm to those behind the equipment that he defaces.

BTW...my quote at the bottom is from that fool.

CJ

I heard that amirm knows more about the audio precision than the designers of it do. Now that I read that I know not to listen to him, kind of arrogant of him.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    That's why I said "somewhat meaningful." The Topping stuff appears to be pretty pretty high value, but you can't escape some cost vs performance hurdles.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • invalid
    xybjsvw6pcrs.png

One of his disciples thinks this amp is better the the D'agostino relentless monoblocks. The comment below the quote was my comment, I just got sick of reading their comments without even listening to the D'AGOSTINO amps.