SDA SRS 2.3tl

Options
Navy_Goat
Navy_Goat Posts: 375
edited June 2020 in Vintage Speakers
Less than 1 year ago I found a set of SDA-2B speakers on Facebook market place. With the help of many members here I gradually upgraded the speakers to a point that I am pretty content with. Powered by a Parasound HCA-1500a that I picked up in the FS section, I think they sound pretty darn good.

Recently I was looking for a bit of a change. Hoping for an upgrade in the looks and maybe sound department I got in on the last Zu Audio Dirty Weekend sale. For the last few weeks my new Zu speakers have replaced my 2Btls in the living room. I was happy with the SQ and appearance of the ZU Audio speakers, but......

I think you all ruined my ears! They (Zu DWs) are just missing something. They are dynamic, and sound great overall, but after listening to my upgraded SDAs they dont compare well. Im sure if I had upgraded directly from my old BIC towers to the Zus I would have been blown away.

Instead I find that my ears are so use to the huge sound stage that SDAs produce that nothing else will do.

Last December I found my second set of SDAs (1C). They were in immaculate condition and immediately drove 2.5 hours each way to pick them up. @F1nut warned my that they would not compare well to the 2Btls and he was right. I did about the same level of mods to both and the 1Cs never really clicked for me. I still have them and will likely pass them along sooner rather than later.

What does this all have to do with 2.3tls you ask? Well, I found a set local to me (actually all I did was read SDA Deals thread here, someone else found them). I did go pick them up this morning and WOW they are good.

The guy selling them was super nice and I enjoyed chatting with him. he was the original owner (purchased in oct of 1990). He is moving and doesn't have room at the new place. Lucky me.

I have been listening to them for the last hour or so. They replaced the Zu Audio DWs that I have recently purchased and in every way they sound better to me. I guess I will be returning the Dirty Weekends. Good think Zu has a great return policy. I do have to clear the return with my wife who really liked the look of the Zu speakers. We could keep them for the living room and I could relegate the new Polk to the listening room I plan to set up after we move, but I just cant justify the 1600 bucks they cost at this point.
SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Congrats.

I hope the wife lets you keep those monsters.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    The only speaker I have had that can deliver a soundstage better than the SDA in stock form were the Magnepan 3.6 or better. I find the modded SDA 1.2TL's to be able to image as well as the MG-20.1 while also delivering the dynamic punch needed for most of the music I listen to.

Get your mods done on those 2.3TL's and you are set for life.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Great score on the 2.3tl’s....especially one owners with boxes.

With regards to the Maggie’s soundstage....I always thought it was unrealistically large. A piano shouldn’t seem 20’ wide. Don’t get me wrong, I love Magnepan but SDA presents a much more believable image.

You have plenty of time to upgrade and so forth....just plug ‘em in and enjoy for awhile.

Just my .02
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I was the one who posted the craigslist ad for the new to you 2.3TL's. I would have snagged them but I already own a set.

By the way, you're welcome. :D
    For some reason I though I said thanks in the other thread. I just checked and I didn't.

Thank you, Sir.
    TroyD wrote: »
    Great score on the 2.3tl’s....especially one owners with boxes.

You have plenty of time to upgrade and so forth....just plug ‘em in and enjoy for awhile.

Just my .02

They will remain unmolested until my move is done. I may glue the magnets, but that's it..... For now.

Honestly they sound great. the SL3000 tweeter is noticably better sounding than what I remember of the SL2000s.
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    He also included the following:
    original receipt x 2 (he traded a set of 3.1tl for the 2.3tl after a few weeks)
    2 copies of the SDA Instruction Manual (18 pages)
    a fact sheet for the SL3000 Tweeters (4 pages)
    Listen carefully...... SRS Series brochure (8 pages)
    and a page titled Addendum to SRS 1.2tl and SRS 2.3tl Manual (1 Page)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Did you get the Bass Brace hardware?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Navy_Goat
    Options

No, I did not.

I would imagine something to attach more firmly to the floor or nearest wall?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    To the wall yes. It's funny cause I was just telling afterburnt about it, as a way to help stabilize his stacked subwoofers.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/191194/how-limited-am-i-look-at-this-mess#latest
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Navy_Goat wrote: »

No, I did not.

No loss there.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Navy_Goat, Congratulations on your new 2.3TL's! I've had 2.3TL's in the past and sold them to acquire a more "conventional" style speaker.

I've returned to the 2.3TL's for the same reasons you have stated. It's difficult to find a loud speaker that will give you that Concert Hall Presentation like the SDA's, at an affordable price.

Enjoy!

• TroyD
    Options
    Yeah, no loss on the Bass Brace. If you use the floor spikes, you don't need it anyway.

Where are you moving too? I'm guessing Navy, Norfolk perhaps? That said, yes, having the boxes is a HUGE relief. Definitely cool getting the original paperwork, I just scored a pair in Hilton Head same sort of deal with all original paperwork (no boxes though...having the boxes is a big thing for me)

BDT
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    We are moving to Pax River, MD. I did a tour in VA from 04-07, no need to go back. Pax will be my last tour so we are looking to settle down. I grew up in CT so the weather is no problem. My wife is from California, but she loved CT and Chicago when we were station in both places.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    When you do move them again. Best advice I have is flat on their backs and short out all the binding post to restrict woofer movement.

Enjoy I also have my endgame speaker at this point in my 2.3tl's fully modified.
  • Sound_Recluse
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    When you do move them again. Best advice I have is flat on their backs and short out all the binding post to restrict woofer movement.

Enjoy I also have my endgame speaker at this point in my 2.3tl's fully modified.

I would take all the drivers out of the cabinet and them move them.. lol.. that's mine plan if I acquire any more. I picked up the 2.3s I have now and transported on there backs and still had 1 driver freeze
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    You will love them and as you mod them they get better and better.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    Following advice from the group here I purchased an older Parasound (HCA-1500a) to power my SDA-2B when I found them last summer.

I am wondering if I would get better sound with a stronger amp for the 2.3tl?

I am using the preouts on a Marantz AVR to feed the amplifier. Trying to prioritize my next few purchases. I will eventually do the following:
    -usual mods on the 2.3s
    -need a preamp
    -bigger amp????

Thanks as always for the advice....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Leave the amp and get a tube pre or upgrade your cables ( don't know what your running right now)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Leave the amp and get a tube pre or upgrade your cables ( don't know what your running right now)

Thanks for the comment. At this point I am using BJC speaker cables, Tara Labs Prism 55 Interconnects from Marantz>Parasound, original SDA interconnect.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Definitely upgrade your cables. I'd look for a good deal on Nordost, MIT, Wireworld or Audioquest. I was a skeptic until I went to the Wireworld Eclipse
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Don't upgrade your cables just yet. I agree they could help, but nowhere near what you will get by stepping up your amp/preamp/source first.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    You need a preamp, I used a marantz avr for a preamp for about a half-hour and I couldn't stand the sound it made with my krell amp. I bought a tube preamp and now it sounds excellent.
  • TroyD
    Options
    Here is what I would do...

First order of business is the preamp.....all things being equal, I’ve been a tube preamp guy for many years. That said, that is your weak link.

Two, sources. Dunno what you are using for sources....but that would be my second order of business.

Third decent cabling. I believe in good cables but the law of diminishing returns comes into play here.

Mods to the speakers. Spikes, RDO tweeters, dreadnaught, xovers. Pretty much in that order.

Then get to The amp (your amp is solid)

That would be my game plan...
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! Let me try to organize my thoughts.
    stepping up your amp/preamp/source first.
    invalid wrote: »
    You need a preamp
    First order of business is the preamp.

Sounds like we have a consensus here.

Preamp and then sources. At the moment I stream a lot from Amazon through the HEOS app directly to my Marantz. It just works for me and I really enjoy the flexibility. I do plan to have a living room system (2 channel) in the next house, but I will be using a pair of Zu Audio Dirty Weekend in that set up. The WAF of those speakers is a lot higher and they sounds pretty good.

Back to my SDAs, I see that tubes are highly recommended. So far I have managed to do this in bite sized pieces. Max one time purchase has been 700 bucks. My feeling is that a decent pre will be much closer to 2K than 700. Also I would immediately need to figure a way to stream amazon. I could do it with a combination of Schiit (pre and DAC) and my computer, but would that really be an upgrade?

Sounds like everyone agrees cabling is also important. That seems like the kind of thing I can keep my eyes open for in general. Currently I have Blue Jeans Cable 8ft speaker wire and HDMI cables and Tara Labs Prism 55 Interconnects.

Any suggestions where my thinking is getting off track or something I should be looking for?

Thanks again,
    Caleb

• Navy_Goat
    edited June 2020
    Options
    stepping up your amp/preamp/source first.
    invalid wrote: »
    You need a preamp
    First order of business is the preamp..

Looks like consensus to me. Pre and source are the same for me most of the time (makes it harder to get away from this Marantz). Most of what I listen to is streamed from Amazon through my HEOS app on the Marantz. Now that Amazon offers HD and UHD I have been using that a lot.

That is part of the problem. So far I have been able to do my speaker upgrades and purchases in 5-700 dollar bite sized pieces. I don't imagine that the pre and source will be in that price range. Unless I am able to go with a company like Schiit or NuForce, which I doubt would really be an upgrade?

Cables also sound like a good idea and something that will be compatible with other upgrades anyway. I will keep my eyes open for deals......

Upgrading the 2.3s can wait for now as I am pretty content with their sound. No doubt it will improve, but I would like to give them some time as they are now. Similar to autocross, the veterans will tell you to just get out there and do it with your car in stock configuration for as long as you can. Modifying the car will slow your learning curve....

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Caleb

• audioluvr
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Here you go. Small bite, big gain.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274389014915
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• TroyD
    Options
    You can upgrade your pre well within your budget.....look used. You’ve got plenty of options on the used market....

BDT
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Or one of these...

75w6xpw3oxk2.jpg
    56j54d3rmj6m.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Navy_Goat
    Options
    https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/fountain-valley-anthem-pva-2-power/7136400846.html

How does this look? Includes a PA that I dont necessarily need, however I am looking for a good lower power PA to drive my ZU Audio Dirty Weekends.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited June 2020
    Options
    "I am asking: $760 (For the Power Amplifier)

I also have Anthem purely 2 channel Preamplifier for sale as well as you can see on the ad’s photos. Let me know if you are interested.

The price for the preamplifier is $395"

Sounds like each item is available separately.