Advice: Selling to upgrade/fix my Monitor 12... what would you do?

Hey guys.

Sorry if this sounds like an odd post. But I'm *this close* [holds finger together] to finally doing something about those Monitor 12's I've been asking about for ages ;)

- I have a pair of RTi10's that I want to sell to help pay for the RD0198 swap and the crossover rebuilds. One has a broken plastic foot, neither has the spikes, and 4 pegs are broken off of one of the grilles... sounds worse than it is... movers messed up... Cosmetically, they look great.

Question is: Should I try to sell them on FB Marketplace/Craig's list for $150-$200 or part them out? Pandemic Time is an odd time for speaker selling... and I'm in Morgantown, WV... not a huge market. I'd hate to trash the cabinets on them, but...

- I have a pair of Monitor 5's (with the fuse). They need new crossovers, too.

Question: Would you part them out on ebay, sell for $50? or so on FB Marketplace or Craig's List. Or?

- I guess I could sell my SL's out of my 12's, too... OR...

Question: I haven't seen this anywhere, but my Google powers suck =( Would it be worth it to put the SL's in the 10's and sell the original 10's tweeters? I could probably use the 10's in my secondary stereo instead of some Paradigm Atoms I have...

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage

Comments

• StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    If you can't afford to upgrade...then don't upgrade. The only reason I would "part out" any speaker is if you had a high demand (discontinued) item...like a Peerless tweeter. I would want to hang on to the 5's and 10's...and upgrade when you have the $.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited June 2020
    Eat canned peas instead of steak and drink freeze dried coffee instead of Starbucks until you've saved enough for your upgrades lol. Oh and I would sell the RTi10s as well and you might get around $150-$200. Don't really know the market. One is offered on eBay now for $200.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform