Headphone amp wanted, suggestions welcomed

Options
My Dad is looking for something better than what he has now. Not sure what he has now actually. Know he has several pair of headphones and Beyerdynamics are his favorite.

He's actually looking for a Chord Hugo or Hugo 2.
--Gary--
Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Take a look at SPL's headphone amps: https://spl.audio/produktuebersicht-nach-anwendung/?lang=en#buttons-anchors

Unrelated, but they also have a new preamp with great specs/features: https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/elector/?lang=en
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Thanks, I let him know.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    If he has the budget for what the Hugo 2 goes for why not , if I had the extra Benjamins I would get the Hugo 2 myself. There are alot of nice headphone amp/Dacs to be had at that price. Does he want portability or a table top one? Besides Hugo's offerings, I also like what Woo Audio has to offer.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • halo71
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    If he has the budget for what the Hugo 2 goes for why not , if I had the extra Benjamins I would get the Hugo 2 myself. There are alot of nice headphone amp/Dacs to be had at that price. Does he want portability or a table top one? Besides Hugo's offerings, I also like what Woo Audio has to offer.

I talked to him last night. I don't think he realized what a Hugo 2 sales for! lol

He's got Schiit Magni 3 amp, Modi3 DAC multibit version, and Loki EQ.
    --Gary--
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,443
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The other day, I was just going to recommend that Schiit combo he's currently using, until I saw what the initial upgrade level plan was. I'm pretty impressed with Schiit's stuff, picked it all up used, and I use the the Magni 3 daily, as well as the Modi 3 Multibit. Even the Modi 3 is pretty good, but the Multibit version does offer a bit of a fuller, richer sound.

He might like the Vali 2.
    https://www.schiit.com/products/vali-1
    q8h6wifxqop7.png
    I picked up one of those, myself 1-2 years ago when I was checking out DACs and headphone amp stuff for computer audio. I thought this was a pretty good review/description of the differences between the Magni and Vali.
    https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/schiit-magni-3-vali-2-amps-solid-state-vs-tube-hybrid-review-comparison

I also use a Magni 3 as a pre front end for control with Audioengine HD3s used with computer audio or a Squeezelite piCorePlayer. It's handy to be able to plug in headphones to quickly switch from speakers.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Any info on what he likes/dislikes about the Schiit Magni 3?
    That was my first headphone amp. I'm not a big headphone guy, but I figured with it's output and universal praise it was a safe choice. I thought it had plenty of power, but I found it to be a somewhat shrill combo with my Hifiman 4XX headphones. I don't even think I kept it for a month.
    I got a good deal on an Arcam rHead from a UK seller, and I've been happy with that ever since. Not the king of power, but it pairs much better with my headphones. I'm not sure the rHead would stack up as well against competitors at the $600 full retail price point, but at less than half that I was very happy.

Drop.com has a load of options, and most get very high praise. I haven't used any of the amps personally, but it's hard to ignore the amount of noise and interest they are generating in the headphone and headphone amp sector.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    One other clarification - is he looking for purely the headphone amp, or does he want a dac/amp? Plenty of options of either at various price points, but probably good to decide going in.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    Options
    This site has a lot of info to help you/him choose:
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • halo71
    Options
    I ended up getting him a Chord Mojo. And he's very very happy with it. Says it blows his Schiit gear away.
    --Gary--