SDA-2A and SDA-CRS Crossover Upgrade Questions

Options
I previously upgraded the crossovers in my SDA-1A. I want to get into the 2A and original CRS with dual tweeters. @F1nut what is your recommendation here? I thought their used to be a page that discussed the upgrades and what caps to use etc. It was a really nice detailed description of all the components and I cannot seem to find it. I found the schematic and will obviously replace with the same values, but what recommendations are there for these 2? Is it worth upgrading them?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    On my sda2a I used Sonicaps. I also used axon caps for the larger value caps you'll need. Resistors were vishay/mills 12 watt. You're going to need to be creative to get the caps on the boards. 3m high bond double sided tape is your friend.

Good luck
  • Brimster32
    Options
    Pitdogg2 & @F1nut, you 2 seem to be the resident experts. I too want to rebuild my crossover. It is beyond my pay grade though & my speakers are currently in the shop for this project. Trouble is, they dont have the love of Polk SDA like we do and I’m afraid I will get much the same quality. They already say, “my current caps etc are working fine, so why change them?” I used to have a print out of the supplies needed but I too can’t find it.
    Is their a simple list I can give them or if I just say use sonicaps & mills parts and will I be happy?
    Also, I do wonder how much better they sound than what a ‘good’ working pair with original material sounds like? Basically, is it worth the couple hundred dollars to upgrade?

Thank you all.
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It will cost more than a couple of hundred to get it done. I no longer have my SDA 2a's to gleen info from.

Go to the vintage speaker section and look for the SDA 2a schematics that would be a good start.
    The 130 uf caps are not cheap. I used Axon in this location. IIRC i had to get half values and double up to get the 130uf value. They are big !
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I upgraded my sda2A's a few years ago, I did the TL mods on mine, they sound a lot better than stock. I invested about $600 doing the upgrades, the 130uf caps are the most expensive part, but we'll worth it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Brimster32 wrote: »
    Pitdogg2 & @F1nut, you 2 seem to be the resident experts. I too want to rebuild my crossover. It is beyond my pay grade though & my speakers are currently in the shop for this project. Trouble is, they dont have the love of Polk SDA like we do and I’m afraid I will get much the same quality. They already say, “my current caps etc are working fine, so why change them?” I used to have a print out of the supplies needed but I too can’t find it.
    Is their a simple list I can give them or if I just say use sonicaps & mills parts and will I be happy?
    Also, I do wonder how much better they sound than what a ‘good’ working pair with original material sounds like? Basically, is it worth the couple hundred dollars to upgrade?

Thank you all.

What model do you have? Why are your speakers at a shop?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    Joshwest90 wrote: »
    I previously upgraded the crossovers in my SDA-1A. I want to get into the 2A and original CRS with dual tweeters. @F1nut what is your recommendation here? I thought their used to be a page that discussed the upgrades and what caps to use etc. It was a really nice detailed description of all the components and I cannot seem to find it. I found the schematic and will obviously replace with the same values, but what recommendations are there for these 2? Is it worth upgrading them?

When I upgraded my crossovers I used sonicap for all the caps except the 130uf, for those I had to use solen
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Brimster32 wrote: »

Thank you all.

What model do you have? Why are your speakers at a shop?

Umm yep guess I missed that.
    *Smacks forehead*
    😬