2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Wait you can see a couple behind the rack ib the first pic
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,137
    edited June 2020
    I see them now on the far left. If they are forward facing, a Bass Brace would be a good idea, for the one on the top especially. I tried it with my Martin Logan and it worked fantastically. Of course mine is spiked to a pair of concrete blocks with 2 bicycle tubes in between them and viscoelastomeric damping material between the bottom block and the floor, but it really is the best of both worlds......vibration isolation from the floor and rigidity from the brace. Matthew Polk was wise.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @Gardenstater what's a bass brace?

I believe it is a medical appliance for fish with vertebral problems.
  • Gardenstater
    The bass brace is a Matthew Polk invention that I believe he first introduced with the SDA SRS 2.3 and 1.2's. From the Nov 1988 Stereo Review, where they reviewed the 2.3:

Another innovation of the SDASRS 2.3 is the Bass Brace. A powerful low -bass signal would cause all seven bass diaphragms to operate in phase, and that might rock or vi- brate the entire system back and forth slightly. Designer Matthew Polk was concerned that these shifts would cause frequency modulation of treble tones that might degrade
    the clarity and image focus. To deal with the same problem, smaller speakers are often mounted on spiked feet to anchor them to the floor. This would probably be an
    impractical solution with the large, heavy SDA-SRS 2.3's, but Polk came up with an ingeniously simple alternative. Several lengths of threaded steel rods are supplied that
    can be screwed into a fitting on the rear panel of the speaker, adjusted to fit between the speaker and the wall behind it, and screwed into a complementary wall fitting, which can be screwed in place or fastened to the wall with double -sided adhesive tape. With the Bass Brace installed, the cabinet is firmly re- strained against rocking or vibration. According to Polk, it makes a definite improvement in the imaging stability of the system. (The Bass Brace is also now standard with the SDA-SRS 1.2.)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    The bass brace is a Matthew Polk invention that I believe he first introduced with the SDA SRS 2.3 and 1.2's. From the Nov 1988 Stereo Review, where they reviewed the 2.3:

Another innovation of the SDASRS 2.3 is the Bass Brace. A powerful low -bass signal would cause all seven bass diaphragms to operate in phase, and that might rock or vi- brate the entire system back and forth slightly. Designer Matthew Polk was concerned that these shifts would cause frequency modulation of treble tones that might degrade
    the clarity and image focus. To deal with the same problem, smaller speakers are often mounted on spiked feet to anchor them to the floor. This would probably be an
    impractical solution with the large, heavy SDA-SRS 2.3's, but Polk came up with an ingeniously simple alternative. Several lengths of threaded steel rods are supplied that
    can be screwed into a fitting on the rear panel of the speaker, adjusted to fit between the speaker and the wall behind it, and screwed into a complementary wall fitting, which can be screwed in place or fastened to the wall with double -sided adhesive tape. With the Bass Brace installed, the cabinet is firmly re- strained against rocking or vibration. According to Polk, it makes a definite improvement in the imaging stability of the system. (The Bass Brace is also now standard with the SDA-SRS 1.2.)

While ingenious and intriguing, it does take the already tenuous WAF of the SRS and drive it right off the cliff... :wink:
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Gardenstater
    That's about the only problem I don't have right now (WAF) :p
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS