Musica Pristina A Cappella III streaming transport review

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,560
Thought you guys might enjoy my latest article that has just been published on The Audio Beatnik, it's a review of the Musica Pristina A Cappella III streaming transport: https://theaudiobeatnik.com/review-musica-pristina-a-cappella-iii-streaming-transport/

I'll always be a vinyl lover at heart, but it's hard to argue with the convenience and sound quality of digital done properly. In the case of the A Cappella III, which uses Roon as its exclusive control method, it raises the bar of convenience even further.

Hope you enjoy the read, and as always I'd love to hear any feedback or commentary, positive or negative.

Comments

• I wonder what this does that the roon nucleus plus doesnt do for 2x the price. I've been looking at getting something like this, but it seems like the it'll be obsolete sooner or later. And you can buy a lot of music with $5000!
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Great review. Looks to be a Roon product but I understand it is not. I've tested Roon and have a good grip on how that company rolls and while not my cup of tea.. I think Roon is great for a certain type of listener.
    That and what other components were you using during the demo? Maybe I missed it in your review. ? I do like the plain Jane look of the unit for sure. If I wasn't hooked up I'd be giving that a try.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2020
    I wonder what this does that the roon nucleus plus doesnt do for 2x the price. I've been looking at getting something like this, but it seems like the it'll be obsolete sooner or later. And you can buy a lot of music with $5000!

Not sure, as I haven't experienced the Roon Nucleus, but good question. Regarding the concern of obsoletion, the A Cappella III is modular and can be factory upgraded, so there's at least some promise of it being future proof there.
    Great review. Looks to be a Roon product but I understand it is not. I've tested Roon and have a good grip on how that company rolls and while not my cup of tea.. I think Roon is great for a certain type of listener.
    That and what other components were you using during the demo? Maybe I missed it in your review. ? I do like the plain Jane look of the unit for sure. If I wasn't hooked up I'd be giving that a try.

Thanks Johnny! To answer your question, I used a variety of different speakers and amplifiers when I had it in my system. The most heavily used pairing was the Norma Audio REVO IPA-140 integrated powering either the PMC twenty.22 or Wharfedale EVO4.2 speakers.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Drew, it is a great review!!

Harry Jones
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Drew, we still need to get an Auralic in your hands.

Johnny, isn’t the Lighting DS a great OI?

And Drew, use that Atlas cable next time!

Great review as always bro.
  • Clipdat
    Auralic never replied to my inquiry regarding review samples, unfortunately.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Drew, we still need to get an Auralic in your hands.

Johnny, isn’t the Lighting DS a great OI?

And Drew, use that Atlas cable next time!

Great review as always bro.

Yes Joe. The app is amazing. This unit Drew reviewed appears to be a Roon specific and after specific questions I asked the good folks @Roon in no shape or form is that a route nor service I would ever pay to use. Roon has its audience no doubt, just not I! The unit looks nice though.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Auralic never replied to my inquiry regarding review samples, unfortunately.
    Damn shame. If only I could let mine leave the house...but alas, I cannot.