SDA 2B resto and a Polklore question

Options
JayMX
JayMX Posts: 435
edited May 2020 in Vintage Speakers
Starting into this pair of SDA2b’s today. A friend’s son has been out working a humanitarian mission. Soon to come home and he loves vinyl and old school hifi so I was asked what I could cook up for him. Found a ratty pair of 2B’s in rough shape, stripped em down, now for some maple veneer and new cloth all around. New caps, dynamat, should make a nice rig for him.

Now for the Polklore (not sure if I’ve coined that term, but I think there ought to be a whole sticky thread dedicated to gee whiz Polklore facts... But I digress...) These cabinets have two star-drive screws in the bezels down in the lower right and left hand corners... anyone know why They’re there? They don’t seem to serve any purpose... I’m just curious...

akxtez3z5d1n.jpeg
bf7ifhdifig9.jpeg
ch4nuc1vo371.jpeg
hbecab0s2kr1.jpeg
64yfh6y57csx.jpeg

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
Post edited by JayMX on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    All 2B and 1C speaker cabinets started off life as the Studio version. In your case the holes were drilled for the Studio front apron panel before the cabinets were needed to make a standard pair of 2B's. Instead of relaminating the baffle they filled the holes with screws.

Studio version.
    pbfuzx3f093a.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayMX
    Options
    @F1nut - interesting. I wondered if that might be the case. Did they screw the apron on from inside?
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I need to edit my original answer in this post. They may have been screwed on from the inside, but I think it's more likely the holes were for dowel alignment pins like on the small bar at the bottom of the CRS. They would definitely be glued regardless.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayMX
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Cool. Always fun to learn about this stuff. Thanks for the insights @F1nut
    I added to the bases, some 1/4 20 threaded inserts for feet or spikes. Got them veneered. Closing up the shop for the day. Next decision, to stain the maple or just clear coat...?

cgyubisw6abx.jpeg
    d5araxcxwvb9.jpeg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Do you have enough maple veneer left over to try some sample stains out, maybe on some 6" x 6" samples?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    Options
    IMO, just a clear coat on that maple would be boring. If you can use a dye, then clear coat. That will bring it to life like nothing else

President of Club Polk

• JayMX
    Options
    I’ve not attempted to dye wood before. From what I read it’s fairly simple, but I’m sure there are some caveats and gotchas... any pointers for me if I go that route? Suggestions on dye mfgs? Is it better to use an alcohol or water base? This veneer is PSA, will that affect anything? Might be a fun twist to this project, always good to learn a new method.
  • F1nut
    Options
    That's a tricky question to answer because there's so many different brands and they all are a bit different, so in general...

Aniline water based, I mix my own from powders. You can vary the intensity depending on the ratio of powder to water. They are easier to wipe on because the water doesn't evaporate quickly, but you still have to work quickly. They will raise the grain, so a light scuff sanding is required before a top coat. They are not all that good against the effects of UV.

Aniline alcohol based, again I mix my own from powders. You can vary the intensity depending on the mix. They are best sprayed due to the rapid evaporation. They will not raise the grain. They are better against UV.

SolarLux, premixed alcohol based. Should be sprayed on and work best mixed and sprayed on with lacquer. Pretty good UV protection. The intensity of the color is rather weak compared to other dyes, so multiple applications can be required. Also, likely to require mixing with other colors to obtain a good tone as the color palette is rather plain.

ILVA, alcohol based highly concentrated. This stuff is amazing. Can be used straight, but best cut with alcohol to cut down the intensity. A 10 (alcohol) to 1 (dye) mix will still be vibrant. Absolutely best to spray on either by itself or mixed in the clear coat. Excellent UV protection. Not cheap, but a little goes a long way. The best black dye on the market....I mean black. The dark walnut is exceptional if one desires a true dark brown like found on 400 year old antique furniture. The honey would be a good choice on maple.

None will affect the PSA adhesive.

President of Club Polk

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    "A friend’s son has been out working a humanitarian mission. Soon to come home and he loves vinyl and old school hifi so I was asked what I could cook up for him. "

@JayMX, a short but sweet thread with a kind "mission" of your own.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • JayMX
    edited May 2020
    Options
    a short but sweet thread with a kind "mission" of your own.

Thanks @BlueBirdMusic - it’s always good to have a mission. I do enjoy the ol resto/flip but even better when there’s a little heart in it.

@F1nut - after much experimentation, I successfully dyed them with some honey colored “Early American Maple” TransFast dye. Used alcohol for the suspension. Definitely not a master at the process, but it was a lot of fun trying out something new. They needed to be a bit darker so I topped them with some dark mahogany penetrating stain and wiped it off quick. Finished them with some semigloss spray lacquer. They don’t have a ton of character, but they look a sight better than they did. Next up lots of grille cloth!

h2dd1poj1ey9.jpeg
    jigreo8bvcoj.jpeg
    1ety5752559e.jpeg
    qk4fp9mk57ld.jpeg
  • F1nut
    Options
    Maybe it's your lighting, but I would expect to see a lot more of an orange/amber tone. Anyway, glad you enjoyed trying something new. B)

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I hit the like button without having to look at them on the big computer. Looks nice.

How thick and wide is the MDF piece that braces between MW's?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • JayMX
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Maybe it's your lighting, but I would expect to see a lot more of an orange/amber tone.
    Yeah, I put in a leftover 30,000 lumen, 5600K LED highbay over my work area, have it set up on a 0-10v dimmer, but at 100% there's about 80fc on the table, so sometimes photos get washed out... :D When I first applied the dye I was like "holy ****!" it was so very concentrated, but after a couple of applications/sandings it calmed down. The mahogany stain knocked the yellow down quite a bit too. The maple has an interesting irridescence from different angles too. I think they'll turn out nice.
    xschop wrote: »
    How thick and wide is the MDF piece that braces between MW's?

It's ~1" thick, spans from the front of the cab to the back and vertically from the bottom of the MW's to the bottom of the tweeter opening. So ~ 10"x10" ? I can measure it exactly needed.

• xschop
    Options
    Thanks, just curious. I thought they were 3/4" thick. If making backing rings for them later, Id need to trim 1/2" off each side?
  • F1nut
    Options
    The maple has an interesting irridescence from different angles too.

You'll only get that with dyes due to their transparency. With highly figured woods such as crotch, burl or striped it will appear as though the wood is moving as you move around it. Very cool.

President of Club Polk

• JayMX
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Thanks, just curious. I thought they were 3/4" thick. If making backing rings for them later, Id need to trim 1/2" off each side?

I just measured the brace and it is 3/4” thick. If you were going to make rings, they’d have to be very thin along that side to allow for clearance. There’s about 1/8” of lip and I’d have to remove some glue on this pair to get the ring to lay flush against the bezel.

I’ve enjoyed your metalwork threads. @xschop - I too have thought about building my own rings - a friend of mine owns a very nice fab shop for aftermarket off-road parts (axle stiffening trusses, skid plates, bumpers, you name it...) He has a large capacity CNC laser - I think he can cut stuff up to 1” thick, so lightweight steel sheeting would be a piece of cake to cut, easy to add PEM’s. Just haven’t taken the time to make measurements and call in the favors. Maybe someday. 👍🏻

weh0b13mgajd.jpeg
    2m8580kzi5zh.jpeg
  • F1nut
    Options
    If you look for pics of Larry's rings you will see that he cut them so that one side is lopped off flat to accommodate for the brace issue with some models.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    And some had to be even more massaged due to crooked or off centered braces....
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yeah, I had to do a little of that, even with strategically placing the straight edges. Excessive glue was also an issue. My Dremel® took care of that. :p
  • xschop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Looks like the cabinet assembly was done by the same MW assembly workers then.
  • JayMX
    edited June 2020
    Options
    So. Many. Staples.
    Getting close. Should have them done this weekend.
    rwkq0umafibr.jpeg
    9m09tlht04vu.jpegio42zgle1whi.jpeg
  • JayMX
    Options
    Powergrabbed, dynamatted, reassembled. Think I’ll hold off on the crossovers. They sound very nice as is. Give my friend's son an upgrade to look forward to. Always amazing how much low end comes out of these little drivers and passives. Polk got it right! Fun project!
    ar2taznq6d60.jpeg
    2xgg1k5ffanb.jpeg
    94n8tjdov4p0.jpeg
    sbpjfu850buy.jpeg

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    What's your impression of the change from the Dynamat? In my case I'd have to say that it put the *thwack* sound into the drums.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Options
    Nice work. You can also clip the 3 extra factory mount tabs from each MW that aren't being used. I believe they're obstructive.
  • JayMX
    Options
    What's your impression of the change from the Dynamat? In my case I'd have to say that it put the *thwack* sound into the drums.
    It definitely tightens things up and gets rid of the ringing.
    https://youtu.be/-iTJdjrBcuo
  • windstriker
    windstriker Posts: 136
    Options
    JayMX wrote: »
    It definitely tightens things up and gets rid of the ringing.
    https://youtu.be/-iTJdjrBcuo

When I did mine, I was surprised by the extra clarity. If you don't mind me asking, how is the son? Teens, 20s, 30s?
  • JayMX
    Options
    how (old) is the son? Teens, 20s, 30s?
    He'll be 20 when he gets back later this summer.

I’m on the lookout now for a ballsy integrated that won’t break the bank but has enough grunt to drive these decently. Considered a Yamaha RS202 but it doesn’t have a phono in... maybe a vintage receiver would be better... His dad gave me a $500 total budget and I’m in about $200 thus far - I picked the speakers up real cheap. I'm not making money on the deal. Also watching for a decent turntable to round the package out. Like @BlueBirdMusic said, it's a fun “mission” for me too. 🙂
  • JayMX
    Options
    Had a little fun testing them on a few different amps tonight. I think the KA-8150 is the winner, but that one will be integrated into my coffin... The M-60 was very analytical and doesn’t have quite the grunt these cabinets need. The KA-7150 sounded good but didn’t have the muscle either. The G-9000 sounded very good, but I’m not ready to part with her and she wouldn’t really fit the budget either... So I will keep experimenting. Good times. Well at least for me. My wife and kids might have gotten annoyed... 😉
    brk3xczaat29.jpeg
    u1or6slmk93o.jpeg
    fbu4xboza7uv.jpeg
    0jrdqtisvfac.jpeg
    qjcr4o57gn5k.jpeg
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Very nice work Jay, the 2B's look like you just purchased them new from a Polk Dealer and set them up. The new owner should be VERY Happy.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    I love threads like this!