Does It Really Get Better Than This

2»

Comments

• Sprags
    Sprags Posts: 120
    edited June 2013
    Who needs a sound source?...having an ultimate system has nothing to do with actually listening to musics...Everyone knows its really about having more expensive stuff compare the other members. Shame on you.

Years ago I worked with a guy that also had a Harley. One day he made a comment that sounded something like this: I hate riding this bike because when I do it means I need to clean it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2013
    Whatever you are smoking, stop.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2013
    Sprags wrote: »
    Who needs a sound source?...having an ultimate system has nothing to do with actually listening to musics...Everyone knows its really about having more expensive stuff compare the other members. Shame on you.

Wow.....now there's one for the record books. Move over T-unit. :biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thor098
    thor098 Posts: 38
    edited April 2014
    Well, it's been another year again. I still have the same system - no extra spending money. The LSI's continued to break in. The harsh highs continued to mellow and the soundstage continued to get more detailed and three dimensional. I can still tell that they could use more power. They don't come to life until you turn them up a bit.
    2 CH
    Parasound 2100 preamp
    Polk Lsi15s
    powered by a
    Parasound HCA 1500a
    2 Passive JBL 10" Subs
    powered by a second
    Parasound HCA 1500a

HT
    Denon 3311-CI
    Polk Lsi15 Fronts
    Polk LsiC Center
    Polk Lsi7 Surrounds
    2 Passive Polk 10" Subs
    powered by ADCOM 545
  • thor098
    thor098 Posts: 38
    I have to first say I can’t believe it’s been 7 years. I have since change my 2 channel system to magepans. Love them but they do have their drawbacks. I moved my LSi 15s with lsi 7s and the center match to my surround system and love them. Could not be happier. Thoughts about replacing my magnepans with lsim703s. I like the sound of my lsi7s on my 2 channel system. I have good subs.
    2 CH
    Parasound 2100 preamp
    Polk Lsi15s
    powered by a
    Parasound HCA 1500a
    2 Passive JBL 10" Subs
    powered by a second
    Parasound HCA 1500a

HT
    Denon 3311-CI
    Polk Lsi15 Fronts
    Polk LsiC Center
    Polk Lsi7 Surrounds
    2 Passive Polk 10" Subs
    powered by ADCOM 545
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Seven years and only 38 posts. You need to stop spamming the forum. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    YOU NEED A GOOD DAC for good digital music to sound best. PS audio perfectwave MKll or dsd jr. Forget the CD player and other upgrades until you get a good dac since you like the convenience of digital
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2020
    dhart86 wrote: »
    YOU NEED A GOOD DAC for good digital music to sound best. PS audio perfectwave MKll or dsd jr. Forget the CD player and other upgrades until you get a good dac since you like the convenience of digital

Thankfully, you don't necessarily have to spend a lot to get a good DAC these days (check out https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/ and you'll see what I mean). And, the DAC built into the streamer may be better than you think. I had the good fortune to try out a Benchmark DAC3 in my setup for several months. I discovered no audible difference between it and the built-in DAC on the Bluesound Node 2i. I also tried a Micromega MyDAC for a while and, again, no audible difference to my ears. However, the MyDAC measures considerably better than the Node 2i so I can easily leave it in the setup if I want to "cover my bases." I will give the Topping E30 a try since it measures so well and it is such a bargain. Not expected to arrive until the end of July though.

Of course, we all hear/experience things differently so YMMV.
    Post edited by halo on
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    You need to get some tubes in the mix somewhere...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    See, that's why he only has 38 posts. Every time he posts, we spend his money! 😂
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    @afterburnt ,You Mean,,"The best ears of your life " are way behind you :)>
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    halo wrote: »
    dhart86 wrote: »

Thankfully, you don't necessarily have to spend a lot to get a good DAC these days (check out https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/ and you'll see what I mean). And, the DAC built into the streamer may be better than you think. I had the good fortune to try out a Benchmark DAC3 in my setup for several months. I discovered no audible difference between it and the built-in DAC on the Bluesound Node 2i. I also tried a Micromega MyDAC for a while and, again, no audible difference to my ears. However, the MyDAC measures considerably better than the Node 2i so I can easily leave it in the setup if I want to "cover my bases." I will give the Topping E30 a try since it measures so well and it is such a bargain. Not expected to arrive until the end of July though.

Of course, we all hear/experience things differently so YMMV.

So the thing I find suspect about lists like this is that they include the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle in their "Audio DAC Performance Index" and review it as such.

But it is literally in no way shape or form a DAC at all. The USB-C/Lightning/Thunderbolt connectors have provisions for analog signal transmission built into them and the DAC is whatever device they are being plugged into. So the review/information being shared is whatever device the dongle is being plugged into. To call the dongle itself a DAC is asinine at best. It makes me wonder what else in their reviews are questionable...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    So the thing I find suspect about lists like this is that they include the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle in their "Audio DAC Performance Index" and review it as such.

But it is literally in no way shape or form a DAC at all. The USB-C/Lightning/Thunderbolt connectors have provisions for analog signal transmission built into them and the DAC is whatever device they are being plugged into. So the review/information being shared is whatever device the dongle is being plugged into. To call the dongle itself a DAC is asinine at best. It makes me wonder what else in their reviews are questionable...

You should definitely contact Amir to let him know this and then post his response here. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?misc/contact/
  • ZLTFUL
    I sent a message, doubt I receive a response.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    Based on Amir's reply to my message, I am fairly certain he is incapable of admitting that he is wrong.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Well it sounds like that went well. :#
  • ZLTFUL
    Everyone else is wrong, Amir is right.

At least that is how his extremely condescending and arrogant replies came across to me.
    I am "confused" as to how the audio pipeline in Windows works, apparently. I even offered to cut into several of the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongles I have sitting here. Of course I am still going to be "confused" when I find no DAC chip anywhere in there...