Nice Music Hall A70.2 integrated amp w remote, box, manual 125w/ch MM phono

Options
I am selling my Music Hall A 70.2 integrated amp. The A70.2 puts out 125 w/ch into 8 ohms and 180 into 4 ohms and features a dual mono construction with separate transformers and power supplies for both channels. Nice reviews online on this amp. The A 70.2 has switching for two pairs of speakers as well as headphones. There are 6 inputs including a very nice MM phono section, a front panel mini jack, one set of balanced inputs and 3 RCA inputs. There is also a HT bypass to use just the power amp section and a preamp out for a sub. The display can be dimmed or turned off and shows input and volume level. The remote controls other MH products as well. The sound is very open and just slightly on the warm side. Very well built. It is in excellent condition and everything works as it should. Includes amp, owners manual, original double box and packing , MH system remote and power cord. Asking $685 Thanks

Music Hall A70.2 Integrated Amp

A Two-Channel Monster with Unyielding Power and Delicate Nuance

Pounding out a massive 125 watts per channel, the a70.2 is Music Hall's most powerful integrated amplifier to date. Impressive with its brawn, yet subtle with its delicacy, the engulfing soundstage and engaging sonic character are the direct result of Music Hall's brilliant circuit design and careful attention placed on the critical components for accurate and musical sound reproduction while eliminating all unnecessary elements.

Geared primarily toward the music lover with a two channel audio system, Music Hall has included a direct av input (home theater bypass), for those who want to use the amplifier section of the a70.2 to power the front channels in a home theater set-up. Vinyl fans will rejoice over the exceptional MM phono preamp. Constructed using the finest parts and hand assembled, the a70.2 is the ideal component around which to build a stunning audio system.
Features:

125 watt/ch stereo amp
ultra quiet preamp section with gold plated inputs
high qrade no-short speaker binding posts for A & B speakers
direct AV (home theater bypass) input
CD, Tuner, Aux, iPod input, XLR, and MM phono input
gorgeous slim line system remote control
low distortion highly accurate TI PGA 2311 digitally controlled analog volume control
special vibration damping feet
dual-mono design
preamp output
headphone output
detachable AC cable
2 x massive Toroidal power transformer – one for each channel
thick brushed aluminum fascia
easily readable and dimmable vacuum florescent display
solid chassis
voltage switchable

gzeri27owf4g.jpg
kzgnxl6pqzuf.jpg
1armi7420xa9.jpg
4shudzzfsu3l.jpg
o3fbxthbfzg9.jpg

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    That’s a sweet looking integrated. GLWS!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • GEBBY44
    GEBBY44 Posts: 939
    Options
    Finally heard a Music Hall for the first time just the other day and was very impressed. If I hadn't just bought an Anthem integrated 2 days ago I would've been all over this. Great price for a such a quality piece!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    @Milito this might be the answer to improved 2 channel sound.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Same build as the TEAC AI-2000, which is a very high regarded integrated. This is a great price! I loved my TEAC 2000
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • rooftop59
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Yep, and you could sell your current amp and buy a streamer!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options

Might be, but I don't have any room on my setup for something that big as you will see in the picture of my setup.

131mbo9jahn0.jpg
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Milito wrote: »

Might be, but I don't have any room on my setup for something that big as you will see in the picture of my setup.

131mbo9jahn0.jpg

It would go where your amp is because you wouldn’t need the amp...but I would put a fan on it...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Milito
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Only problem with that is I would have to open the door to use the remote.

Also do you think it would sound better than the B&K if I got a preamp for it?

If I get preamp instead of a streamer I will be looking for one I can place on top of the cabinet. I may have to try to raise the TV some. My wife doesn't want it mounted on the wall. I've told her in the next house we get it will be mounted on the wall. We are looking for a one story now.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I will tell you you won't find much better for the price, thus music hall/teac line didn't get their due IMO. I liked the pairing of both the Teac 2000/3000 with my 703's so I can already say its a decent match. Having purpose built preamp circuitry is really going to help you, and the dual mono amp configuration is a huge feature for the price.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    Only problem with that is I would have to open the door to use the remote.
    You can get an IR repeater.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Milito
    edited May 2020
    Options
    So that would work well behind the wood door?

Still wonder if this are a streamer would make the biggest difference.

Such as a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Stereo Network Streamer or a Bluesound Node 2i Wireless Music Streamer.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    Yes. It's just like an extension for the remote sensor.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Your preamp is your main issue. But of course if you get a preamp or integrated you will have to get something to stream with.

I use an ir extender with my Logitech smart remote in this system:
    mb0vpmrseppf.jpeg
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Milito
    Options
    So I would connect my Yamaha A-2070 to the home theater by pass on the preamp, then connect the preamp to my amp, correct? How would I connect the streamer?
  • rooftop59
    Options
    What geppy is selling is an integrated amplifier. You would sell your amp and replace it with the music hall. Then connect your streamer to an analog variable input on the music hall integrated. Then use the lr preouts from the Yamaha into the integrated’s HT bypass input. The integrated would power your main speakers.

The caveat of this setup is that you would utilize the DACs of whatever streamer you purchase.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Milito
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Yes I know it's an integrated amp, but I saw this in the manual:

Pre Out
    This output is always active and can be used to connect the a70.2 to a
    subwoofer or an additional power amplifier. Simply connect this output to the
    input on your subwoofer or amplifier.

So I thought I could use my B&K with it.
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    Options
    So I would connect my Yamaha A-2070 to the home theater by pass on the preamp, then connect the preamp to my amp, correct? How would I connect the streamer?

You would remove your existing B&K and would connect the Music Hall to your Yamaha and the amp in the Music Hall would power your L and R speakers when the Music Hall is in HT Bypass mode. The Music Hall Integrated has a nice preamp section and you would connect your streamer to that.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Milito
    edited May 2020
    Options
    One issue I worry about is most people here say the LSiM towers sound the best with over 200 watts, the 4420 is 225. I worry that this preamp at 125 won't be enough. Is my thinking wrong?

The reason I'm asking the questions here to decide if I want to try to purchase this preamp so it is related to his selling it. If I wasn't interested I wouldn't be asking the questions here.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Yes you could use your B&K with it, but then I would just buy a preamp. You’ll probably pay the same amount for a preamp with HT bypass.

As for the power, I don’t know. I do know that @jeremymarcinko powered his 705s with a Yamaha integrated that was I think 80wpc and loved it. Honestly, at this price try it and if you don’t like it you can resell it...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Yes. The A-S801 was only 100wpc full bandwidth at 8ohm. It was a wonderful match with the 705s. I wouldn’t worry about the max watts too much. A good well designed high current amp around 100wpc is enough to handle the transients.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Milito
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

pm sent.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Also do you think it would sound better than the B&K if I got a preamp for it?
    As others have stated, the only way to know if the music hall suites your taste over the B&K is to try it. The size of your room and the level that you listen will be the determining factor. Most would be fine with 125 watts powering the LSiM towers however headroom junkies always want more.

I'm headed toward an integrated mated with my HT setup as well and have researched and auditioned different ones. Even used there is not much out there with a dual mono design, over 100 watts, HT bypass, sub out, remote for under $700. Maybe a Music Fidelity A300 if one can find one. Even a used discontinued Music Hall Mambo 50W x 2 Class A integrated w/built in DAC goes for $800-$1000 used. A good used hybrid preamp like a Vincent Audio SA-31 or a Benchmark DAC1 PRE would run $500-$700. Then, some features are absent. So, you could go separates over integrated for more money. A new Schiit Freya+ is $899. Then, there are cables, etc... The value in a piece like this used Music Hall becomes apparent real quick.

Getting this Music hall integrated and selling your B&K is a nice upgrade path for music. Then as others have stated, pick up a Node 2i that already has a decent built in DAC and then hopefully there should be some noticeable differences in your music playback. The next step would be a better DAC....but cost go up from there....you know how it goes. Just enjoy the music and don't worry about upgrades until the time is right.

I was considering this unit also so you better move on it!. I was about to move on some speakers but the seller decided not to ship. I really want a NAD M3, Vincent Audio SV-237MK, or Classe Sigma 2200i integrated but even used will be 2x-4x the price of this MH unit. So maybe I'll do something nice to my garden... about to go out now and get to work.
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Milito
    Options
    Waiting for a response from geppy1.
  • Milito
    Options
    Answered your pm geppy1.
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    Options
    This is sold Thanks A very nice amp
  • Milito
    Options
    Thanks geppy1!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Congrats!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts @Milito! 🥳
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Milito
    Options
    I'll need to wait till I get my replacement tweeters installed for a good comparsion @rooftop.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Nice! The value per dollar of your system is going up. You got LSiM for under a grand, and an integrated like this for under $700. Smart buy! Do provide feedback.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2