live album news

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited April 2002 in Music & Movies
You know those great live concert albums -- I'm talking vinyl here -- that you loved as a kid, but couldn't get on CD because they did that "2-LPs on 1-CD!" thing that cut a few songs out, making the live albums on CD pretty much useless...?

Examples:
Cream's "Wheels of Fire," Lynyrd Skynyrd's "One More From The Road," Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus," Jethro Tull's "Bursting Out," and Kansas' "Two For The Show"... All amazingly produced live LPs that capture each band at the peak of their greatness, and all only available, if at all, in badly edited form on CD.

Well I was in the CD store yesterday, and I found a couple of great things.

First, I found a new 2-disc remastered version of Cream's "Wheels of Fire," which, in case you've never heard it, is the very seed of all heavy rock, and the very absolute best work ever by Clapton, Bruce and Baker. It's like $45 on CDNow.com, and I snagged it for $12!

THEN, I found that Skynyrd's amazing live album "One More From The Road" is out in a brand new, 2-CD "deluxe remastered" issue that contains the whole show from the LP, plus the encores!, for the first time ever on CD. $15! ($25 on CDNow.com. Thank god for used CD stores!)

Well, no luck with the KANSAS: TWO FOR THE SHOW... Still only available in the cut up single-CD version.

BUT I JUST FOUND AND ORDERED (from CDNow.com) THE LITTLE FEAT: "WAITING FOR COLUMBUS" in a brand new 2-disc set that has THE WHOLE effing SHOW remastered from the original tapes!

GodDAMN that's GREAT!

I was able to snag the Tull in a double CD set as an import some time ago, so now I have just one more to go... I need that Kansas thing to get remastered and rereleased!

Side note: I also noticed that they did the remaster "deluxe" thing to Frampton's great live album, too, in case anyone's interested.

Now I can ditch my vinyl versions!

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I forgot one!

The Who "Live At Leeds," which used to be this horrible little 6 song live taste, is now the complete show, including the whole "Tommy" part... It's like having your head removed and replaced with an atomic bomb that goes off between your ears!

And another:

Deep Purple's "Made In Japan," which now has a second disc that includes the encores from the show -- a sick "Black Night" that will melt your subwoofers.

I'm done.

Anyone else?

Am I the only one here?

Bueller?
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Perhaps the CDs will change my mind, but I usually disliked live albums back then, since the recording technology didn't allow the engineers to fine-tune the sound & cover up the deficiencies of the performers. This was not a big deal if you were at the concert & enveloped in cloud of smoke & enjoying the overall experience, not just listening to the music. But when you played your 8-track or LP of the studio version, it usually sounded better. I don't think of most of the big arena rockers as folks who can mesmerize with extraordinarily creative 10-minute solos. But your "state of mind", & the atmosphere of the concert arena made it enjoyable anyway. This is a generalization, and, of course, a matter of taste.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Live Under A Blood Red Sky

U2

Also, Rattle & Hum (DVD and CD) have some good moments.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    Options
    My three favorite live albums have been out a while on CD and came in 2 disk sets:

Allman Brothers Live at the Filmore

Crsoby, Stills, Nash and Young - Four Way Street

Jummy Buffett - You Had To Be There

I had these on vinyl and tape and now on disk. I haven't seen a remastered version but would probably buy it if available.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm gonna have to get the Cream and Deep Purple. The Who never did anything for me.

The Allman Brothers - Live at the Filmore. Now you're talking. I saw these guys a couple of years back. Now I know what the "DeadHeads" are doing wth their spare time. Phefrickingnominal. They didn't do Whipping Post, but that would have added another hour.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited April 2002
    Options
    On the opposite side of this thought, the original CD release of "Frampton Comes Alive" was a 2-CD set, just like the vinyl release. However, and I could be wrong on this, total playing time clocked in well under the 75-80 minute maximum time a CD would hold. So you had to pay the double disk price for something that would clearly fit on one disk.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The Allmans Live at Fillmore is out in 2 forms..the original Allman Brothers Live At The Fillmore and the newer one is The Allman Brothers:The Fillmore Concerts (this one has been remastered and remixed. Also contains a couple extra tracks) This was the reason I finally broke down and bought a cd player. As the ad said.."The best live album made just got better"

also Pink Floyd:Is there anybody Out There? (Live Wall)
    Although I thought Floyd went a little downhill when they released The Wall the sound and performance on this one is outstanding
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    dio inferno: last in live,try finding a better recorded live cd,i dare ya. this thing sounds like ddd cd!

scott:cool:
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dio? Oh my god. Scott, make it stop.

The repackaged Allman Bros "At The Fillmore East," with the whole show (including "Mountain Jam") is so spectacularly amazing... That I can't believe you'd mention it in the same breath as a lame post-Waters "Pink Floyd" thing. You mean, "Gilmour Wright & Mason," don't you? I'm a Floyd purist. Pink Floyd ended in 1981.

And I actually saw the Frampton live thing in a new issue just the other day -- in the same format as the Skynyrd and Little Feat remasters; with the whole Frampton show including encores done from the original tapes.

Let me just say this: For the last two days, since I got my newly remastered Little Feat live album, I have been driving home THE LONG WAY just to GROOVE to it, it is SO DAMN AWESOME and such a great great fun show that I can't stop listening to it.

And like the Skynyrd discs, it's remastered from the original 2" tapes and includes the complete show playlist including stuff that was left off the original LP. It sounds warm and deep and totally hard-hitting and "live like a suicide," as we Guns n' Roses fans used to say. IT ROCKS, man!

This remaster thing is GREAT!

Micah
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• wangotango68
    edited April 2002
    Options
    long live mullet rock!! dio is the man! i grew up with that kinda music david lee roth,dio,whitesnake,and all the rest. im not embarrest to say i like that kind of music. oh and one more "album" scorpians world wide live very cool!!

• Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah

The repackaged Allman Bros "At The Fillmore East," with the whole show (including "Mountain Jam") is so spectacularly amazing... That I can't believe you'd mention it in the same breath as a lame post-Waters "Pink Floyd" thing. You mean, "Gilmour Wright & Mason," don't you? I'm a Floyd purist. Pink Floyd ended in 1981.

Micah
    Micah The Wall live I was talking about with Waters..it was taken from the Wall tour when Waters was still with them..was available only as a bootleg for years then they got hold of it and cleaned it up..
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah

And I actually saw the Frampton live thing in a new issue just the other day -- in the same format as the Skynyrd and Little Feat remasters; with the whole Frampton show including encores done from the original tapes.

Let me just say this: For the last two days, since I got my newly remastered Little Feat live album, I have been driving home THE LONG WAY just to GROOVE to it, it is SO DAMN AWESOME and such a great great fun show that I can't stop listening to it.

And like the Skynyrd discs, it's remastered from the original 2" tapes and includes the complete show playlist including stuff that was left off the original LP. It sounds warm and deep and totally hard-hitting and "live like a suicide," as we Guns n' Roses fans used to say. IT ROCKS, man!

This remaster thing is GREAT!

Micah
    Micah - I forgot to mention I saw Little Feat as a backup band for someone else..It was Foghat I believe..this was around 1973-74..they blew everyone away..no one had heard of them at the time..they were better than Foghat thats for sure
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Oh, okay. Waters is good. I didn't know what you were talking about. I checked up. It's a Waters-era "bootleg" rerelease. You're right. Good call. Is it really cleaned up and sounds good?

And Scott: GREAT CALL: Scorpions "World Wide Live" is yet ANOTHER GREAT live double LP that has yet to be released in its full form on CD. Awesome call, man I totally forgot about this. Remember the video for "Big City Nights"? That video made this band seem SO AWESOME! And that's a really well done live LP, even tho you can't understand a word the freaking singer is saying -- "You see dees microphones?! Tank you California!" I have to go look for this one remastered.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    yes..its cleaned up a lot..I was impressed with how well it sounded cuz I had heard the bootleg of it..I have a show of thiers when they went on the road to test Dark Side Of The Moon..I wish they would clean that up..its a great show..a lot of the songs had different titles at the time and were quite a bit different in sound too
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Bill, is the show you have where they "test" DSOTM called "Crackers"? A boxed bootleg?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    its called Eclipsed-A Piece For Assorted Lunatics..it was taped at the Chicago Auditorium..Actuallyy I had the opportunity to go to this show but I passed for some reason or another (DOH!)..anyway I have a few Floyd shows as well as others..My list is at db.etree.org/dekerivers..If you are in to live shows see if there is anything that interests you..its all on a trade basis or you send blank media and I burn it ..there are no copyright issues involved
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    One of my biggest rock and roll regrets is that right when I was just discovering music, about 1980 -- just getting into the "classic rock" thing you all start out getting into -- Pink Floyd was doing "The Wall" at Nassau Colliseum, basically right around the corner. One of only four American shows of "The Wall" (two at Nassau, two in El Lay). I remember my friend's older sister and brother going and talking about it and I didn't have a clue as to how important it would be just maybe a few months later in my life. I remember the day, hearing them talk about it and not knowing what was going on.

Damn.

I'm not normally a big fan of "bootleg" recordings. I'm a firm believer in production values and the distance from the star and the stage to the audience (speaking of "The Wall"...). Most of the bootlegs I experienced while growing up, being into The Dead and other classic rock stuff (I recall some smoking Zepp bootlegs), were pretty ****.

These live albums we're discussing here are really "live" quote-unquote albums, since I know that while they are accurate representations of the bands at their zeniths, they have been "sweetened" in the studio, no doubt. Especially these new remastered versions. And I don't mind, even tho I'm a purist in pretty much all things. The performances here are so overwhelming -- Deep Purple's MADE IN JAPAN is like self-trepanation (you know, when you intentionally drill a hole in your skull) -- that I don't mind that they've been tweaked.

I can't believe I JUST MISSED "The Wall" live. Damn.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Personally I think the Wall was one of Floyds weakest efforts after DSOM but I agree on the bootlegs.. a lot are pure **** but some of the ones I got are off the sound boards or where bands allowed taping so people got to set up right by the stage ..I have 2 Deep Purple shows from the BBC from the Made In Japan era that sound a whole lot better..Made IN Japan I think is one of the worst sounding live shows..not performancewise..just sound wise..the remastered one isint much better ..I bought it used thinking "gee its remastered -its got to be better"..what a disappointment
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Yeow -- the remastered MADE IN JAPAN just totally BLOWS ME AWAY. I mean, they just don't make bands like that anymore. Then they remastered the "In Concert" LP, the one with the BBC shows, and they included the tapes of shows made right after Ian Gillan joined the band (right after it became "Mach II"), and the tapes of the band 2 years later right before they went to Japan. The sound is clean and cool, and the 2 discs show a band feeling its oats and seeing what it is capable of (I can't imagine being in the tiny BBC studio when they SLAM OUT something like "Speed King," everyone must have been deaf for days!). But MADE IN JAPAN is a stellar achievement, IMO. I'd love to hear some Mach II stuff that rivals it.

I have been thinking lately of picking up some of the Mach III remastered live stuff I've seen around. I'm a huge Coverdale fan, and I love "Come Taste The Band"; but I think of it as a WhiteSnake album, really. The first WhiteSnake album, since it really isn't DP anymore. My only problem with live Mach III stuff is that I don't want to hear Coverdale singing the stuff that Gillan made so incredible. I'll stick to my "Live In The Heart of The City," I guess.

I saw Mach II when they reunited in 1985 at The Meadowlands. I was second row center. It was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. I think I'm still deaf from that show!

What?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I didnt say the band was bad..just the recording of that show..a lot of groups have done BBC performances and sometimes those are thier best ones..I only liked Mach II..once they got Coverdale the music and writing went downhill for me..plus I hated his voice compared to Gillian..after Machine Head there was a lot of in group fighting..WHo Do We Think We Are to me was the last good Deep Purple album..but hey thats my opinion
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    another good live cd out there is Wishbone Ash-Live Dates..
    Good dual guitar stuff from a very under rated band from early 73
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I agree that Coverdale was wrong as the singer of Purple. There is utterly no comparison between his rough blues voice and the amazing super spaceman vocal chords of Ian Gillan. I mean, "Child In Time," duh.

I don't even like the DP studio albums. I just don't think they were a studio band. They were too... too BIG, too wide, too **** loud, too layered for the studio. The studio recordings never hinted at the raw power and totally overwhelming volume and speed of a DP Mach II live show. (Whereas another loud fast hard band, Sabbath, was a studio album band; their live shows were disjointed and bad-sounding, from what I know. Those first five Sabbath albums, tho, are incredible, mostly "live," documents of evil.)

But Coverdale is an incredible vocalist in his own right. And coupled with the incredible musicianship available to him with the demise of the Mach II Purple, I think he did really well. WhiteSnake is much much different band than Purple. Purple is way out there, Snake is very down to earth (which is one reason why Blackmore left when Coverdale started writing songs: too much blues). But the first few WhiteSnake albums, which are essentially the powerful rythym (sp?) section of Deep Purple without the spacey influences of Gillan/Blackmore, are really cool.

Whoop, 5pm: gotta zip!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I saw Sabbath in 1973..they were a good live..of course now its all Ozzy swearing evry 2 minutes instead of singing..but in the old days they were a great live band
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    So far, no luck trying to find a "new, complete" version of Scorpions's WORLD WIDE LIVE. Anyone else?

What's the original vinyl track listing, I'm getting confused as to what's missing on the available single CD version? Anyone?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• wangotango68
    edited April 2002
    Options
    scorpians world wide live
    side 1
    countdown
    coming home
    blackout
    bad boys running wild
    loving you sunday morning
    make it real

side 2
    big city nights
    coast to coast
    hoilday
    still loving you

side 3
    rock you like a hurricane
    can't live without you
    another piece of meat
    dynamite

side 4
    the zoo
    no one like you
    can't get enough(part 1)
    six string sting
    can't get enough(part 2)

• Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    That's great man! Thanks! (Or, as Klaus Minne [sp?] would say, "Tank you veddimuch! CALIFOR-NIA!")

Looks like 19 songs, tho... There were 19 songs on the single (currently available) CD... What's missing? What am I missing? Is the single CD the COMPLETE double LP? I'm getting confused.

Help.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I am a HUGE Floyd fan. I agree with you on The Wall and DSOTM.:o My personal favorite is Obscured by Clouds.

Have you seen Live at Pompei (VHS)? I can't wait for this to be released on DVD.

P.S. It's the best way to listen to Sun Ra. Or watch Live at Pompei for that matter.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Options
    yep..Obscured by clouds is a very under rated Floyd album (or cd).... I have a couple bootlegs of Floyd doing Childhoods End live..guess they didnt do that too much in concert so its rare..anything off of Oscured is rare live.I too am waiting for Pompeii to come out on DVD