PSW10 wiring help

Options
Nicki_Minaj
Nicki_Minaj Posts: 2
I am considering and most likely going to get the Polk PSW10. I just have some questions about wiring the sub. My receiver does not have a sub-woofer output so I was going to use copper gauge speaker wire to hook it up with the red and black speaker level inputs and have my two front speakers out of the speaker level outputs on the polk while the other two front speakers are powered by the receivers 2 other outputs. According to the manual in hook-up option 1 (Which is similar to what i am gonna do) it says sub-woofer=no? As in I can't use the Polk Woofer this way? What? http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/FILE17069.PDF

However since it is a powered sub-woofer, wouldn't having my amplifier driving the PSW10 while the PSW10 is being driven with its own amplifier be bad? I had a friend that said this and if I did hook it up with the Speaker level inputs, it would ruin the receiver and Sub. I have a tape record RCA out that i can use too on my receiver with a y adapter for the sub, if that would be a better choice. So is my friend right, or am I right and would wiring it my way work?

The amplifier is a JVC JA-S55. http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/217/1478.html?begin=31
Post edited by Nicki_Minaj on

Comments

• Nicki_Minaj
    Nicki_Minaj Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Update: Never-mind everyone... I just found some old powered woofers in my garage and hooked it up using the tape out record on the receiver and it works fantastic. I guess that's how I will gonna hook up my Polk once I get it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Hello Nicki,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. The problem with using the receiver's tape output connection is that it won't be controlled by the receiver's volume control. This is done so owners can make a tape recording with the volume control turned all the way down. This would mean, if used with a subwoofer, that the sub's playing volume will remain at a constant volume no matter where the receiver's main volume is set. It would be better to simply run another right and left speaker wire from the receiver's speaker level outputs to the corresponding right and left speaker level inputs on the sub. It works fine that way.
    Regards, Ken
  • Battle
    Battle Posts: 1
    Options
    I have old receiver, turntables, and tape deck. I purchase the PSW10 to hook-up through my receiver as the primary speaker. If I turn the volume all the way up, I can faintly hear the thump of the song, is there a particular type of speaker wire? My equipment is early 90’s
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    A subwoofer cannot be the primary speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,327
    Options
    Do you mean primary sub?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Battle wrote: »
    I have old receiver, turntables, and tape deck. I purchase the PSW10 to hook-up through my receiver as the primary speaker. If I turn the volume all the way up, I can faintly hear the thump of the song, is there a particular type of speaker wire? My equipment is early 90’s

Would help if you told us what kind of receiver and speakers you have. A subwoofer alone is not a speaker.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • phil2lvg
    phil2lvg Posts: 1
    Options
    my sub out for the subwoofer is a single RCA, the instruction says to connect it the sub with 2 RCA connectors, how do I achieve that, are the 2 inputs paralled? are the shields also paralled?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Use a 1 to 2 RCA cable, also called a Y cable. You need male to male/male.

It looks like this.
    2m9fra9pwrbm.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk