Going back in time.

Options
Upstatemax
Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
So, I’m revamping my HT with some blast from the past speakers. After watching my children (and their friends) try and destroy my Focal’s that are in place now, I’ve decided I want floor standing speakers back up front since they get knocked into a decent amount and I want something more stable. Really, I just like the Focal’s too much to watch them take much more abuse.

With the current prices of the RTi A line I decided to order some A5’s for the front and A1’s for surrounds. I may or may not bring a center back, not settled on that. I always loved the looks of the RTi A line cabinets and enjoyed them for HT duty.

Excited to have them back in the mix!

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Don't blame you for wanting to protect your higher end speakers a bit. Which Focals are these?

I always enjoyed the CSi5 I had, though I enjoyed the RTi10s less whenever it was music time. I do wonder whether there is a significant difference in the RTi vs RTi/A series. Polk support told me at the time of purchase back in late 2013 that they were essentially the same, though I've seen some people say here and there that the RTi/A sounded a little less bright?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Don't blame you for wanting to protect your higher end speakers a bit. Which Focals are these?

I always enjoyed the CSi5 I had, though I enjoyed the RTi10s less whenever it was music time. I do wonder whether there is a significant difference in the RTi vs RTi/A series. Polk support told me at the time of purchase back in late 2013 that they were essentially the same, though I've seen some people say here and there that the RTi/A sounded a little less bright?

They are the 806V bookies. So definitely not high end Focal. But I really like them and I’m tired of them taking a beating. One was already knocked off the stand a year ago and the other one I had to catch from being tipped right into my TV when one of my kids friends whipped open one of my French doors to my backyard and slammed it into the stand...

Yes, I have an unfortunate situation with my where my speaker needs to be in relation to that door. My kids have learned to be careful, it’s other people that are the issue. But between the kids and a Doberman that’s still under a year old, I need some speakers that are not as easy to tip over. And if they do tip, I won’t be as upset.

As for the RTi vs RTi A, I think the drivers are the same IIRC, it was all in the cabinet design. I remember people claiming the “A” series is not as bright as the RTi and a bit cleaner soundstage. But not worth upgrading if you already had the RTi’s.

The 806v’s are going to be put in another system that I’m putting together downstairs. I have my old Oppo 103 and my Parasound HCA 1500A to hook up to them.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Got them in yesterday, not really set up yet since my first floor is torn apart thanks to a small remodeling project going on...

One of the A5 boxes was a little beaten up, but speaker was perfect. I forgot how much I like the finish on these. The A1’s are a perfect size for surrounds, really happy with how they look.

Hope the sound is just as good!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Haha, man, that kid's friend wouldn't have been allowed back in the house! I knew a couple of kids growing up who could trash a wrecking ball. They broke everything.

Sounds like a good system you're pulling together with the 806v's.

Which color did you get on the A5s? When I was running the RTi10s and CSi5, I liked the look, but mine were just plain black. I liked that cherry finish. I still pull off one of the grills of the 10s in the closet they're in from time to time. Need to move them out at some point, but our local CL is horrendous. I'm half looking for a friend building HT with some funds to power them properly, someone who could appreciate them a bit. I can't imagine trying to sell them to someone who doesn't have something powerful enough to run them. I still have the OE boxes and packing materials, and not enthused at the possibility of someone buying them and wanting to return them after getting home, unpacking and finding they don't like them. Should probably just get a white van and troll some parking lots to find someone looking for a deal.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I got them in black. I love the cherry ones, just a really nice finish. Unfortunately the cherry would not match anything in my room.

I ended up hooking up the A5’s so that they can start to burn in, my surrounds are disconnected anyway till my project is done so the A1’s will have to wait. So far they sound great for HT use. Much better midrange than my old A7’s had. Still not sure if I’m going to get an A4 center, I’ll have to test with some movies once I get everything hooked up.

As for re-sale, I totally get it. I’ve usually give stuff away to friends that could use it rather than practically give it away to someone on CL. Either that, or just sit on it for a rainy day.

Never know when you’re going to want to slap together a new system!