Can poor audio quality cause tweeter burning out?

Options

Guys, is there any possibility of a tweeter burning out because of the reproduction of an audio recorded in flac or mp3 that is said to be "of dubious quality"?
As far as I know, this claim does not succeed. The maximum that can occur is that the component does not render its full potential of sound quality.
As I consider myself almost lay on the subject, I resort to friends here.

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Heavily distorted electric guitar tracks can certainly test their durability.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Distortion/clipping kills tweeters.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    More likely poor amplification pushing the tweet past its limits.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    Most probable cause of a dead tweeter is driving high volume with an under-powered amp (or receiver). This causes clipping, which is in essence DC current to the tweeter voice coil, which rapidly overheats it, causing catastrophic failure.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Guys, is there any possibility of a tweeter burning out because of the reproduction of an audio recorded in flac or mp3 that is said to be "of dubious quality"?

At regular listening levels? No.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Going overboard with any amp will kill them a low powered amp just does it faster, sooner, easier, etc.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I have gone well beyond overboard with my setup and never damaged a thing, except my hearing for a bit afterwards.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Go overboard longer.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    F1 nailed it. I would also like to add that playing at extreme levels for hours on end overheats the voice coils and can cause a failure, even if there is no distortion. I found this out the hard way at an audio event a couple of years back.

I now have some spares in case it happens again but my days of showcasing the rig at audio events are long gone.

Good rule of thumb while still staying within layman's terms? If it hurts your ears, even a little bit? Turn it down.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~