Effects on subwoofer when speaker wired improperly

Options
I have a question about the consequences of improperly wiring home theater speakers. Specifically, I wired left speaker into 2 positive outputs each for left and right, and the right speaker went into the two negative outputs of left/right. They are expensive polk audio speakers with self powered 12" subs in each. My father is telling me I blew one of the subs because I wired incorrectly. But, barely any sound came out and there is a separate RCA wire output to each sub, so I doubt that the sub could have been damaged by this error. Any info would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure he damaged by listening at crazy high volumes...

Answers

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    Your post contradicts itself. Please re-post with a diagram of how it was wired up. Welcome to Club Polk.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • matt_vanalstyne
    Options
    Instead of each speaker receiving positive and negative input, one received negative from both Left output and Right output and the other speaker received positive input from Left and Right output. It was wired very wrong, small spectrum of sound was slightly audible.

Does the RCA output to the subs govern all input to the subs? If so this should mean that improper wiring of the speaker wire should not affect the subwoofers... even still, can the subwoofers even be damaged without a loud sound to damage them??

Thanks, hope that helps. Can draw a diagram later if needed.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited April 2020
    Options
    2 positives to one speaker= BOOM :s

Or a click. protection mode or a fuse blowing.

This is why manufacturers are trying their fastest to go wireless. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • matt_vanalstyne
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    2 positives to one speaker= BOOM :s

But there is an RCA going from amp to each sub, would this not be the wire carrying sound?

Thanks
  • Tony M
    Options
    Not all of it.

Can you take pictures of the wiring?
  • Tony M
    Options
    Notice the RED marked wire goes to the RED terminal. Black to Black.

Your wiring should follow this worldwide method.

Copied from the monitor 7 rebuild thread showing now. ;)
    xz7c0wtkbjqx.png
  • treitz3
    Options
    Left output and Right output and the other speaker received positive input from Left and Right output.
    Yes, this was wired incorrectly. Hopefully you just blew a fuse. Check that first and get back to us.

Thanks.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • matt_vanalstyne
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Notice the RED marked wire goes to the RED terminal. Black to Black.

Your wiring should follow this worldwide method.

Yea, we were quite a few beers deep and I wired it wrong by accident, thanks for the reminder, lol. So, the sub can blow/damage without loud sound being produced? Like pushing the cone too hard one direction?? There was barely any sound during the accident, and he claims the speakers have full protection from damage... $3k each speaker, I can take photo of model and draw a diagram in a couple days when I return there.

I would like to find another sub to wire into the tower for him.
  • treitz3
    edited April 2020
    Options
    But, barely any sound came out and there is a separate RCA wire output to each sub, so I doubt that the sub could have been damaged by this error.
    Thas makes me question whether or not you had it hooked up to LFE or in stereo. If you had them both hooked up correctly, probably no issues. With that said, based upon your last post quoted above, you might have damaged either the sub or your AVR/Amp or possibly both.

Again, please provide a simple diagram of how your setup was wired.

Tom

• Tony M
    Options
    Notice the red and black terminals on this receiver. Red is positive. Black is negative.
    The connections should match at your speakers. left and right matters too.
    dqihhyj2en56.png
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Why are you being so vague? State the model of the speakers and what you were powering them with.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• matt_vanalstyne
    matt_vanalstyne Posts: 6
    edited April 2020
    Options
    8sf3lrd797tb.jpg
    Here is a diagram of the wiring setup, which I'm aware is incorrect. I will post the model of receiver and speaker when I return to them at my father place, two days probably
  • treitz3
    edited April 2020
    Options
    ERROR 404 - Diagram not found.

[EDIT] - Hot damn, it was found!!!

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    Okay, you may have blown your L sub. Check the fuse first. If it is blown, you may have gotten lucky.

In the meantime, does your (or your Dad's) amplifier/AVR still work as intended elsewhere?

Tom
  • matt_vanalstyne
    Options
    Yes everything works fine. Both subs/speakers were essentially wired the same (incorrectly).

The L sub still works quite well, but at high volumes there is some distortion and a sharp banging sound at the peak outputs which is easier to hear when close to it. It rattles.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Fair enough. Did this "sound" occur before the mis-wiring?

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    ....and at what volume level does this "sound" occur at?

Tom
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Looks like someone has been reading too many Bizarro World comic books during the shutdown. :D
    8sf3lrd797tb.jpg

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet