Need some help with Polk Audio 10A speakers

I have two speakers my mom gave me to sell. one of the tweeters is bad. Not sure what version of tweeter it is. It is a silver metal plate tweeter. I might try to fix them up but need help knowing where to start. Not experienced at all but any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Do they have fuses on the back? Not sure when that ended. If so see if the fuse is bad. If not swap the tweeters and see if the no sound follows the tweeter or cabinet.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Tweeter is SL1000 model.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • SL1000 tweeter is the current set that the speaker has. If I was to replace both of the tweeters or upgrade them, what would be the recommended model?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited April 2020
    From what I have read as stated by Darqueknight and others, the RD0-194 will have to be cut down or the cabinet modified, in order to fit, but it is a suitable replacement otherwise. Since the SL1000 was Polk's warranty replacement for the Peerless Tweeter, I might be inclined to purchase a pair of used Peerless Tweeters on eBay, especially the Danish ones if you can find them without waiting too long. As far as I have been able to determine, the Danish ones have the designation starting with 7514 and the USA ones start with 5514.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    I should add that if you decide to go with the Peerless you will want to make sure you get an 8 Ohm one, because there are also 4 Ohm ones that were made and you will find both for sale on eBay.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Why not just buy 1 sl1000 tweeter ? If your going to sell them I would just replace the 1. If your gonna keep em that's a different story....You will spend too much & odds of someone spending lots of money for a upgrade pair is slim. Ebay has single tweeters
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Do they have fuses on the back? Not sure when that ended. If so see if the fuse is bad. If not swap the tweeters and see if the no sound follows the tweeter or cabinet.
    +1 on this. Also the models with fuses sometimes the tabs/fuse ends need cleaning. If this is the case on fuse models
    Randy/Maine