are four Monitor 10s better than two ?

Found a pair of vintage 10s for sale, priced a bit high but not outrageous. I have a pair hooked up to an older 7.1 Denon receiver. Would adding these as Front High pair improve sound ? And, with 10s, should I set the receiver to Speakers to Front Small to send all bass to subwoofer or do these have enough base to set receiver to Front Large ?

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    The more of the 10"s you can put in a system the better. Overkill, heck yea but why not, IF you have the room for them. Set them to large!

Height speakers are usually on the small size, box wise.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited April 2020
    Absolutely! Checkout my setup in my sig.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • NJ_Guy
    NJ_Guy Posts: 19
    I guess what I am asking is, if your eyes were closed, would you be able to tell the difference between two and four ?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Yes. I had one in each corner of a big room and the sound was awesome. Full on rock and roll heaven. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I've never heard a surround setup that included front height speakers. I'm inclined to believe that the sound sent to those channels is minimal but I don't know.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    NJ_Guy wrote: »
    Found a pair of vintage 10s for sale, priced a bit high but not outrageous. I have a pair hooked up to an older 7.1 Denon receiver. Would adding these as Front High pair improve sound ? And, with 10s, should I set the receiver to Speakers to Front Small to send all bass to subwoofer or do these have enough base to set receiver to Front Large ?

Are you running a surround rig now or just the 2 fronts?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NJ_Guy
    two fronts, a center and 2 subwoofers.
  • F1nut
    In that case you need surrounds not front height speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NJ_Guy
    ok, but what about the other guy's point that surrounds don't get much power in multichannnel systems. that means the 2nd pair of 10s are pointless ?
  • F1nut
    Surrounds fill in the sound, as such they will greatly enhance your HT experience unlike the pointless height speakers. It's got nothing to do with how much power they get, which wasn't mentioned anyway.

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Having twice as many speakers only gives you a 3dB increase in sound (not much). It does not make it twice as loud. It is also doubtful your AV receiver has enough power to drive them all. Depending on your room setup I would find some smaller rear speakers for easy placement and work on a dedicated 2 channel setup with the second pair of Monitor 10s. Having a large floor standing speaker as rears is overkill unless you are running a high end system with multiple amps. Get a couple bookshelves and be done. The rears don't put out much sound.
  • NJ_Guy
    thing is, this particular open room doesn't lend itself to rear speakers. Couch in the middle and no rear wall (is a stairway instead). Don't want wires across the floor. In another room I have Monitor 7s in a two channel....
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Easy, suspend them from the ceiling slightly behind the couch.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    After reading the last few posts (with some perspective), it seems as though you are looking for any reason not to add rear speakers of any kind...which goes against most any advice. So: do what you want and don't ask for advice!
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited May 2020
    I think front height speakers are already limited in range. I could be wrong. I think there would be some bass interference with the delay to create a surround effect. That said, if you have the space go for it. Depending on your AVR you may be able to have the speakers on the sides of the couch near the back facing the couch. They would need to be raised so the tweeters are more ear level. Or have them on the floor facing the back wall and tilted up so the sound is reflected. I have heard something like this. It created a dipole type surround effect. The other thing is surround bass is awesome. I got some cheap and abused RTA11's and ran them full range behind the couch. It was amazing. (They are now parts speakers).
  • You need more powahhh.....UNLIMITEDDDD POWAAAAHHHHHHHH!! Get rid of the 7.1 and go stereo for each pair w real amps and you will find all the chest bursting bass we agree on is most exhilarating.
    Cool stuff: Adcom GFA-555, GFP-710, Oppo BDP-83, Monitor 10's w/RDO198s, rebuilt and modded XO: Sonicap/Mundorf topside, Daytons Low.
    Benq W5000

"Leaning back like a maxwell tape commercial listening to pure polk bliss"