Is this place dead?

Options
13»

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    Gin is a way to ruin perfectly good vodka...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    I'm spent, I jump down into the alley and smoke a fatty. I throw rocks at the cats.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    @TroyD.......say it
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    On some brands, yeah.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    1) The taste of gin always (always) makes me think of Ice Blue Aqua Velva aftershave. Don't ask. :|

2) Heartbreak motor oil and...

https://youtu.be/4wkizgi5MLA
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    1) The taste of gin always (always) makes me think of Ice Blue Aqua Velva aftershave. Don't ask. :|

I seem to recall Warren Zevon being on Letterman back in the 80s and saying he used to drink 3 fifths of liquor a day, every day. :o

Also, Mountain Breeze Aqua Velva smells and tastes exactly like Blueberry Funny-Face®. Go ahead, ask.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

I seem to recall Warren Zevon being on Letterman back in the 80s and saying he used to drink 3 fifths of liquor a day, every day. :o

Also, Mountain Breeze Aqua Velva smells and tastes exactly like Blueberry Funny-Face®. Go ahead, ask.

Read Crystal Zevon's bio of Warren (if you haven't). He had his ups and downs, right up to the end.
    Produced some great music, though -- and he had some friends (Jackson Browne being one of them) who stuck with him against all odds.

vmqrly1s0ce4.png

u39asq7j9k40.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Read Crystal Zevon's bio of Warren (if you haven't). He had his ups and downs, right up to the end.
    Produced some great music, though -- and he had some friends (Jackson Browne being one of them) who stuck with him against all odds.

Interesting! I started listening to him when "Stand in the Fire" was first released. A little college (Saint Michael's) radio station about 3 miles from where I grew up played it constantly.

A station that just so happened to be a couple hundred yards from that Vermont Public Radio building you visited. And a mile from the Polk dealer where I bought my 2.3TLs. :p
  • Jstas
    Options
    I'm sorry, I can't stand Warren Zevon.

There, I said it.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I can't stand Warren Zevon.

There, I said it.

I don't even know who she is.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I know Colchester & St. Michael's pretty well indeed -- given that we're 100 miles away ;)

Stand in the Fire was recorded just after he got sober the first time and is pretty darned fine.

Thus is the werewolf drinkin' a Perrier at Trader Vic's instead of a Pina Colada.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Aviation
    Bluecoat American Dry
    Almost anything from Copperworks
    Leopold's Navy Strength
    Anything from Bols
    Hayman's Old Tom
    The Botanist Islay Dry Gin
    Distillery No. 209 Gin <- probably the best one money can buy and it's only about $30 a bottle

Have you ever tried Plymouth navy strength or Hendricks?
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    He's a step up from Elvis Costello IMO....who I cannot stand. What a winer.
  • Jstas
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Aviation
    Bluecoat American Dry
    Almost anything from Copperworks
    Leopold's Navy Strength
    Anything from Bols
    Hayman's Old Tom
    The Botanist Islay Dry Gin
    Distillery No. 209 Gin <- probably the best one money can buy and it's only about $30 a bottle

Have you ever tried Plymouth navy strength or Hendricks?

I haven't had Plymouth in a long time because it's surprisingly not easy to find around here despite being one the biggest and oldest brands out there. Plymouth is good but I like the dryer gins better.

Hendrick's is good but it's a big name like Beefeater or Tanqueray. All of those are very good but I left them off the list because I figured everybody knows about them.

• afterburnt
    Options
  • Jstas
    Options
    Eh, Bombay is ok.

It's not old. Started in the mid-80's by Diageo, the parent company behind Guinness but they sold the brand to Bacardi.

It's, like, the "party gin" for college kids who want to seem cooler than they are.

It's about as unoffensive as gin can get and it's boring because of it. If you want something that is smooth like Bombay but actually tastes like a gin, Aviation Gin is a good buy.

• afterburnt
    Options
    @Jstas I probably had Aviation Gin in some cocktail called an "Aviator"? My Therapist/Bartender gave it to me to try, it was some weird blue color and I didn't care for it but then I don't much like pansy foo foo drinks.

How do you like your Gin?
  • Jstas
    edited April 2020
    Options
    You're talking about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_(cocktail)

Not necessarily made with Aviation Gin and it should honestly be more violet/purple than blue due to the creme de violet and it gets a more reddish purple is the maraschino cherry juice has the red food coloring in it. If it was blue, they used some turrible mixers.

As far as gin, I drink it neat. Good stuff is busy enough that it doesn't need anything extra. Maybe some ice or a splash of water if it's a higher proof.

There, fixed the link.
    Post edited by Jstas on

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    Options
    One of my cardinal (or perhaps ordinal) rules: never eat blue food.
    I believe George Carlin once observed that no food is blue.
    I concur.

That said...

Way back when -- in college & grad school days, I had a professor, Maurice Bessman, by name, a DNA replication enzymologist who trained with, and did key work under the aegis of, Nobel laureate Arthur Kornberg. Bessman was a huge fan of the school's lacrosse team (who were usually pretty good, by the way) -- and a wonderful man who liked to party. Said team was, and is, known as the Blue Jays, and in their honor, Bessman created a drink that he called the Blue Jay. He wanted it to be blue, of course, so he went to Eddie's Liquors and asked what was blue. "Blue Curaçao" was the response, so that became foundational to the Blue Jay. Blue Curaçao plus -- actually I wouldn't want to know -- but I suspect today it would carry a hazardous material label. It became a custom to drink Blue Jays before, during, and after (if one were still capable of coordinated movement) any lacrosse game, home or away (but especially home).

A Blue Jay looks like -- and I suspect doesn't taste all that different from -- windshield washer fluid. Sweet and very alcoholic. There was one unexpected benefit. In those halcyon days, one could stroll on in to Homewood Field with a plastic cup of Blue Jay in hand, and the goons at the gate didn't even flinch. I don't think they had any training to suggest to them that blue beverages might be anathema. :)

• Jstas
    Options
    Blueberries are blue.

• Jstas
    Options
    Also, Blue Curacao is a mind **** 'cause it's blue but tastes like sweetened orange rinds.

It's called Blue Curacao because it was originally made from the rinds of a citrus fruit found on the island of Curacao and the Dutch thought it'd be a good idea to make a liqueur out of it 'cause they're Dutch and they're crazy.

The citrus fruit name starts with an L and I can't remember it now but I do know that it is a Seville Orange that's been mutated by it's environment to become it's own species of orange. The original Orange Curacao was made from this and the modern Blue Curacao is the same thing just with blue food coloring in it.

Also, of special note, Orange Bitters from certain companies in the Carribbean, are made from the same Seville Orange mutants because the rind of the Seville mutant is especially aromatic and bitter and lends itself well to a liqueur and flavoring when an orange based, bitter citrus profile is desired.

I know way too much about booze.

• afterburnt
    Options
    You're talking about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_(cocktail)

Not necessarily made with Aviation Gin and it should honestly be more violet/purple than blue due to the creme de violet and it gets a more reddish purple is the maraschino cherry juice has the red food coloring in it. If it was blue, they used some turrible mixers.

As far as gin, I drink it neat. Good stuff is busy enough that it doesn't need anything extra. Maybe some ice or a splash of water if it's a higher proof.

Yeah, it was weird blue not like Windex looking drinks is was more like dark lavenderish. I will look it up and see if the joint is still in business after this BS blows over. This place has a set of booze encyclopedias on the bar and they pretty much only have expensive junk.

I used to drink Gin neat with Bobby Taylor, he drank the cheap stuff but I would choke the swill down to be gracious.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Blueberries are blue.

They do have a blue patina when fresh picked -- but them dang thangs is purple.

... oh... and... thinking about dark lavenderish flipped the dyslexia switches in my brain to "on". Especially in the context of blue.

B)

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    @TroyD.......say it

Troy may be doing a dingus polish on his new 2.3’s

So I’ll post up for @TroyD

Arrrrgh!!

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I’m just sitting in my chair, lab coat wide open, straight up whackin’ It like it owes me money.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    @TroyD.......say it

POO NUGGETS!

That picture was really bad!

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Jstas
    Options
    I'm gonna drink bourbon and play "World of Tanks" while eating pork chops because that's just how awesome I am.