Polk SDA 2B Studio advice

Options
I saw a Polk SDA 2B Studio set here locally for pickup for $225. Includes an
aftermarket pin/blade IC that was purchased off Ebay. It looks well made.
Overall the set looks original and in good condition. Hope to look at in person this weekend. Any suggestions on checking them out and the price? thanks
SDA 1C (wood)- Vr3 crossovers/ Gimpod board's, Larry's rings, RDO194 tweeters, Dynamat. Updated terminal cup and binding posts. Custom IC by Vr3 with Neutrik connectors. SDA 2B(studio)- SonicCraft crossovers(TL mod), RD0-198 tweeters. Hurricane nuts, DynaMat and JB Weld.

Comments

• codycatalist
    Options
    Price doesn't seem bad to me. SDAs are getting harder to come by. I would play them if possible, make sure the drivers aren't frozen or have scratchy voice coils. Check for air leaks, make sure when playing with the SDA cable attached the SDA drivers are playing as intended.

Good luck picking them up! I love my 2Bs.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Go check em out! They are great speakers I love mine.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• vulcan
    vulcan Posts: 86
    Options
    Brought the 2B's home with me and hooked them up today. Sound pretty good,
    using an old Yamaha RX-730 receiver. There are a few rough spots, paid $200.
    Came with a fabricated IC, but bought a nice OEM cable from another member here.
    Intend to do the TL mod in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help.
    5r4bxwjx6dsp.jpg
    b5jeskynb5jj.jpg
    um1x210zs9dj.jpg
    SDA 1C (wood)- Vr3 crossovers/ Gimpod board's, Larry's rings, RDO194 tweeters, Dynamat. Updated terminal cup and binding posts. Custom IC by Vr3 with Neutrik connectors. SDA 2B(studio)- SonicCraft crossovers(TL mod), RD0-198 tweeters. Hurricane nuts, DynaMat and JB Weld.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    Good luck with the mods, helped my 2bs considerably but the best thing I ever did was put them with high current amps.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    edited February 2020
    Options
    They respond well to upgrades, worth putting the money towards them to refresh the crossover. Moving up to a higher current amp will make a noticeable difference. Congrats!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Parasound HCA-1500a sounded great with my modded 2Bs.
  • vulcan
    Options
    Recently completed the SDA2b mods, all the planned mods went smoothly. I installed the RD0-198 tweeters with the TL mod to the crossover. I highly recommend the Gimpods SDA boards for these projects.
    Pleased with the sound so far, been told there is the expected
    break in period of 200-300 hrs. I could tell right off the bass response was way better
    than before. Here are some pics i took. Thanks to David at DHS Speaker Service for your help. Craig

nh9vnpvflyi3.jpg
    k336p1wx1r3z.jpg
    b5tdhb18gmmg.jpg
    hq8kdsqdibct.jpg
    fc0hn3j2x3l5.jpg
    d2qfl2aihq6m.jpg
    q66pzkyqmpsw.jpg
    d7c7hnvvtsnf.jpg
    9ahkogll5sj0.jpg
  • vulcan
    Options
    I used Dayton Audio caps on the driver side and SonicCaps for the tweeter and TL circuit, the resistors are Mills. I also put all the polyfill back in the cabinets to the original configuration. oh, yeah, i removed the polyswitch and replaced it with .47 ohm 12 watt resistors. Thanks for looking.
    elngm3dbzqyh.jpg
    4anmfhtxjvpx.jpg
    emxav3a7kx8i.jpg

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Nice Enjoy them.

Dave did my CRS+'s crossover and did a TL upgrade to them..
    then I got a Set of SDA2b's which use the same crossovers..so for now I have the Crossovers Dave upgrade using all Sonic caps in the SDA 2B's..dang it to heck they really rock nicely :p love the new sound and the inductor he use to replace the original..Q something..why cant I say the correct name.. it added a nice added bass sound without the being sounding booming...

anyways enjoy :)

ohh found it..this:
    ERSE Super Q

https://www.parts-express.com/erse-super-q-47mh-16-awg-500w-inductor-crossover-coil--266-924?gclid=CjwKCAjwv4_1BRAhEiwAtMDLsqTS2qzYmXwhNFCPVkMbR7zvK8H6YOQT3TKhuZk-c2ZwCYsHg-PUzBoCR-EQAvD_BwE
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD