Computer Speakers

Options
Looking for a suggestion for some PC speakers. I have been researching and seems like Polk made some a few years back but they get mixed reviews. My old nick was locked or something. I tried to search but did not find much on the subject here.

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    Options
    These are actually pretty darn good and can be found on eBay on the cheap. I bought a 2nd set a while back for $21.50 shipped. I was the only bidder and free shipping.

http://assets.hardwarezone.com/2009/reviews/others/acs295/acs295.htm
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »

Yay I got my old nick back! I read about those. They that good? Was hoping to find something decent used in the $100 mark.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    cchcxptfr32q.jpg
    iayj7iwd0m0s.jpg
    A pair of CRS+ make an excellent pair of computer speakers.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Klipsch Promedia

duyjlnmxtqx6.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Depends on if you want something more tonally accurate or something that rocks for movies and video games. Those klipsch are hard to beat for the latter: https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker?source=googleshopping&locale=en-US&gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiHI_Df5rodD9lttcdWIE9QZGZ0xsx8_L_XnqpQMcLYsawuNIGAWwuhoCjRAQAvD_BwE

But for something more tonally I would go a different route..:
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    xjghost wrote: »
    xsmi wrote: »

Yay I got my old nick back! I read about those. They that good? Was hoping to find something decent used in the $100 mark.

Yes. They're very, very musical, but not so laid back that you couldn't use them as studio monitors.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    I like the Audioengine stuff, too, but personally I like them with a sub for best results.

Depending on what you're looking for out of these computer speakers, and to stick within the budget, I'd probably go with one of the computer speaker kits as recommended above. I've enjoyed an old Boston Acoustic 2.1 set that came with a Gateway 2000 computer from around 1998. You can definitely find some of these kinds of speaker sets used. Don't necessarily go for the Bostons, though, as they'll probably need a new woofer driver. Not a difficult replacement, but the driver will probably cost you the same as you'll spend on the speaker set.
    I disabled signatures.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Polk made some excellent computer speakers some years back. Hewlett-Packard computers came with them standard for a while. This was back when everyone was using CRT monitors to show you how long ago this was. Those are all over eBay now. Problem is the Hewlett-Packard computers had sound cards with amplifiers built in. So these are passive speakers. Polk also made plenty of powered speakers for the aftermarket as well. Since I made a blood vow to myself years ago to stay all Polk until I can afford some Bowers & Wilkins or Wilson or the Focal Utopias that I used to sell. I scowered eBay for some powered Polks and pieced together a halfway decent computer system with a stereo pair of the bass towers. The monitors and the bass speakers all have the power ports. So even though it doesn’t go all that low, it is surprising how full the sound is from such a small set up. Everyone who hears it says I don’t have “computer speakers “ I have a full blown stereo system hooked up to my computer!
    You can see in the pic three of them are behind the monitor. That’s only because I have them spread apart to get some stereo separation.
    pz5m06o3olgr.jpg

It’s up to you obviously, but you CAN get some decent Polk computer speakers, used or new old stock of you’re patient and willing to do the work to find them. I see them popping up for sale here and there.
    Have fun out there and be safe!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    I haven't been able to hear these yet, but I do like the look of JBL's newest "studio monitors" - which are really just nice computer speakers being sold by the pro division. Because why not right? Lol.
    https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/JBL-104-BT.html?dwvar_JBL-104-BT_color=Black-US-Current&cgid=studio-monitors#start=1
    cd0mp6wzfuxk.png
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Edifier has some cool stuff in all price ranges. https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers

From $29 computer speakers to $1099.99 audio engineer Phil Jones designed AirPulse studio bookies.... and everything in between.

2243590-1445606878491.png
    edifier-ces-2012-las-vegas%20(2)_65308f01-8acc-4711-a25d-d7cb8bf8b9f2.jpg
    edifier-ces-2012-las-vegas%20(3)_0d4d0cf8-7f28-439d-870a-746c4359f338.jpg
    Untitled-1_SJPs-LeuQ.png
    maxresdefault.jpg

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    Ooh! Edifer! Great suggestion!
    I forgot all about those. Always been curious.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I had a chance to listen to some of their active bookies. Great sounding stuff for the money.
    I was actually strongly considering a set of the S3000Pro or AirPulse A200 as a cheaper alternative to the KEF LS50W I wanted to go in my living room. However, the Mrs. has given me a hard time about it. So, that plan is off. Focus is on adding a 2/ch setup to the TV/theater system.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187849/abt-electronics-audio-innovation-event-10-10-2019#latest
    zaaaitb5n95e.jpg
    gyqbhavhtnqr.jpg

The 15 Best Computer Speakers for 2020
    https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-computer-speakers/
    Edifier-R1700-Computer-Speakers.png
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Yea I forget that I bought these for my mom: Edifier R1280DB. $130 shipped from amazon. I mean they’re not gonna replace anything in my house, but it does make me wonder why anyone would be a Bluetooth speaker or soundbar for home use when you can get powered stereo speakers with a DAC that’s better than then one in your tv for $130...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer