Series 1 5JR+ or Series 2 5JR+?

I want to acquire a pair of one of the above and wondering which is the better speaker overall? This is the speaker with PR and not the port. I know its a very broad question as both speakers had different tweeters, ohm ratings, one had an 8 inch driver (as stated in my Monitor 1 brochure-a typo? as it looks like a 6 inch driver to my eye in the photo)...

I have read on this forum that the cabinets in the Series 2 are not as well built and/or use an inferior grade of MDF?

Just like to hear from fans of this speaker their thoughts on the matter. Naturally, I plan to do the usual upgrades of xo and tweeter replacement, damping woofer baskets, sonic barrier behind midwoof, armacell, hurricane nuts...

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance you can offer
Realistic SA-1500 integrated amplifier fully restored by Chris Ready
Realistic TM-1000 Tuner
Realistic 31-2000 Equalizer restored
Cambridge Azur 540C CD player
HRT iStreamer
Polk Audio Monitor 4A ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
Polk Audio S4 ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
Polk Audio S6 ClarityCap CSA
Polk Audio Series II Monitor 5JR+ stock at the moment

Answers

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    I have the Series 2 5 JR+ and enjoy them in a small room on stands. They have the SL-2500 tweeter that can be upgraded with the RD0-198 tweeter. I also have two versions of Monitor 7's, 7B's with Peerless and Series 2 Monitor 7's with SL-2500. Unless space is of concern I would look for a pair of Monitor 7's. Better sound, go deeper, but are larger. A pair can usually be found under $150.00. The 5JR's range from $75-$125 depending on iteration and condition. Good luck.
  • printboy
    printboy Posts: 27
    Thanks aprazer for your thoughts. Yes space is indeed an issue so 7's would be too large as I have a very small apartment living room.
    Realistic SA-1500 integrated amplifier fully restored by Chris Ready
    Realistic TM-1000 Tuner
    Realistic 31-2000 Equalizer restored
    Cambridge Azur 540C CD player
    HRT iStreamer
    Polk Audio Monitor 4A ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
    Polk Audio S4 ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
    Polk Audio S6 ClarityCap CSA
    Polk Audio Series II Monitor 5JR+ stock at the moment
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I have both versions, series 2 is the way to go for any extended listening sessions. But if you can find a Model 5 with the peerless tweet, that'd be your huckleberry.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    IMO the series 2 maybe sound a little fuller, but I think they all vary a little. Both can easily be upgraded to use the RD0-198 tweeter. Only a cap value changes in the crossover. I also found doubling the fiber fill (one roll or similar size pillow behind the tweeter, and one roll behind the MW) gives them a richer sound.

Larger models do have more room filling bass, but the jr+ are good sounding fun speakers.

If you are looking for something small, RT5's sound good, go pretty deep, and have a very HD cabinet