COVID-19

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 10,203
    Viking64 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    If you apply common sense behavior, when going up north to the Upper Peninsula?

The Upper Peninsula? But, you have to drive through Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin to get up there!!!!! :o

Nah. Straight up through the Lower Peninsula, then cross the Mackinac Bridge! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    anonymouse wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    She is incompetent and therefore has no business telling anyone what to do.

Excerpt from the order.

c7gv8w3bblgi.png

How does this have any impact? If you apply common sense behavior, when going up north to the Upper Peninsula? Or any other place? Are we East Germany now?

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309,7-387-90499-525173--,00.html

It prevents an infected person who is asymptomatic from one area of the state, to travel to another area of the state, go to a grocery store there and start a local outbreak in a new area.

Asymptomatic or not, as long as you follow the precautions, IMO, you're ok, and should not impact others. You don't have to assume, IMO, in this case our Governor, that we are not capable of making intelligent choices for ourselves.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 32,454
    edited April 10
    tonyb wrote: »

Do we do that for all infectious diseases/viruses ? Or just this one ? It is physically impossible to tell if the vast majority of people in any state are asymptomatic. You can operate on the assumption everyone is, like they seem to be doing, but you'd be wrong. There is no evidence to suggest we are.

This chart should give us our answer: https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1812248/?fbclid=IwAR0g0OoxDLfU8F4OWBCiaM12IE8qutjLO2gAw7rZem2zUGhphp0Tu5GK0uI

Fantastic, if we are to assume everyone has CV, then all those diseases under it must also be assumed everyone has, right ? .

This keeps getting better and better lol

This is a prime example of how information or data gets manipulated. 650K PEOPLE A YEAR DIE FROM HEART DISEASE !! Corona hasn't hit 20k yet.

You want to show me a chart with a snippet of time to tell me CV is taking over heart disease as the main killer. Dude....paaaalease.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,653
    Fantastic, if we are to assume everyone has CV, then all those diseases under it must also be assumed everyone has, right ? .

This is a prime example of how information or data gets manipulated. 650K PEOPLE A YEAR DIE FROM HEART DISEASE !! Corona hasn't hit 20k yet.

You want to show me a chart with a snippet of time to tell me CV is taking over heart disease as the main killer. Dude....paaaalease.

You do not understand exponential growth apparently. This has been explained before, by me and others. At least our leaders are starting to understand - far too late. Maybe someday you will too, if you open your mind.

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 11,276

You do not understand exponential growth apparently. This has been explained before, by me and others. At least our leaders are starting to understand - far too late. Maybe someday you will too, if you open your mind.

I understand the exponential growth of our economic disaster we are culminating as we speak
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
    Asymptomatic or not, as long as you follow the precautions, IMO, you're ok, and should not impact others. You don't have to assume, IMO, in this case our Governor, that we are not capable of making intelligent choices for ourselves.

It should be obvious based on the disagreements we are having here, that there will be otherwise intelligent people who will not follow the precautions because they have different beliefs disconnected from science,

That would be perfectly alright if these people were making choices that would only killing themselves, unfortunately those people not following what the latest scientific are telling us, are risking not just themselves, but others. Hence why we need to curtail freedoms.

Think about the hundreds of people Boris Johnson has infected with his... I'm going to keep shaking hands moronic behavior... I shudder to think of how many deaths he has caused, single handedly, leave alone his actions as a role model.

txcoastal1 wrote: »

I understand the exponential growth of our economic disaster we are culminating as we speak

Yes. We are fighting two battles at one time. Unfortunately no easy solutions.

• kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 4,172
    edited April 10
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    What was your question sir?

What number of deaths, round about, would be ok for you to return to a normal daily life ?

Thats a tough question. Probably zero from the perspective from those dying or their loved ones. Hopefully we can benchmark off some other countries data to know for sure when its safe to resume normal life.
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,494

What number of deaths, round about, would be ok for you to return to a normal daily life ?

Thats a tough question. Probably zero from the perspective from those dying or their loved ones.

Talk about classic gaslighting... “If we can save just one life, right?

Tell me this, and be honest - if we could save just one life by eliminating 10 million jobs and throwing 5 million families into homelessness and poverty, do you think it’s worth it?
    daddyjt wrote: »

Thats a tough question. Probably zero from the perspective from those dying or their loved ones.

Tell me this, and be honest - if we could save just one life by eliminating 10 million jobs and throwing 5 million families into homelessness and poverty, do you think it’s worth it?

No. I found this article helpful in understanding the economic choices: https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/04/02/covid-19-presents-stark-choices-between-life-death-and-the-economy

• kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 4,172

I dunno man....how many people do you think is acceptable to have die to 'save the economy'. The ratio you quoted is a very extreme. Unfortunately a high percentage of people losing their jobs are considered working class or even middle class. They will have the toughest time recovering. People at the upper end of the spectrum may be losing money but will fair much better than those on the lower end(s) of the spectrum. The real danger is we rush back to normal life, fail to wipe out the virus completely, and have a resurgence in the fall. People and our economy are resilient. While this is all very unfortunate, we need to look at the long term. These points, of course, are my opinion.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 11,276

You forgot the rise in crimes of desperation, domestic violence, and suicide
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,494

I dunno man....how many people do you think is acceptable to have die to 'save the economy'. The ratio you quoted is a very extreme. Unfortunately a high percentage of people losing their jobs are considered working class or even middle class. They will have the toughest time recovering. People at the upper end of the spectrum may be losing money but will fair much better than those on the lower end(s) of the spectrum. The real danger is we rush back to normal life, fail to wipe out the virus completely, and have a resurgence in the fall. People and our economy are resilient. While this is all very unfortunate, we need to look at the long term. These points, of course, are my opinion.

You’re not going to like the answer, but I will tell you that it’s more than this virus will kill. Period.

First of all, it’s not just “the economy” - it’s people’s life savings, retirement accounts, homes, cars, businesses, kids college funds, and yes, their audio gear. The ratio I quoted was to see if you are really serious and honest about saving “just one life”. If you admit that it is in fact worth “one life” to save any number of jobs and livelihoods, then we can actually have a conversation - but you decided to dodge...

Second, I am far more concerned about the “average Joe” than I am the “upper class”. And to be clear, it’s not the rich that are suffering right now - it’s the “average Joe” wondering how he’s going to make his next house payment, or pay his electric bill, because government shut down his place of employment.

Third, if you really think we have any chance to “wipe out the virus completely”, you need to learn more about virology. Everyone in this country will eventually be exposed to this virus - there is nowhere to hide - long term anyway.
  • shawn474shawn474 Posts: 3,130

You’re not going to like the answer, but I will tell you that it’s more than this virus will kill. Period.

First of all, it’s not just “the economy” - it’s people’s life savings, retirement accounts, homes, cars, businesses, kids college funds, and yes, their audio gear. The ratio I quoted was to see if you are really serious and honest about saving “just one life”. If you admit that it is in fact worth “one life” to save any number of jobs and livelihoods, then we can actually have a conversation - but you decided to dodge...

Second, I am far more concerned about the “average Joe” than I am the “upper class”. And to be clear, it’s not the rich that are suffering right now - it’s the “average Joe” wondering how he’s going to make his next house payment, or pay his electric bill, because government shut down his place of employment.

Third, if you really think we have any chance to “wipe out the virus completely”, you need to learn more about virology. Everyone in this country will eventually be exposed to this virus - there is nowhere to hide - long term anyway.

So are you suggesting that we expose everyone and just see how it goes? What’s the alternative without completely overrunning the healthcare system and causing a much more catastrophic blow to the economy? You keep telling people they’re dodging the question but I haven’t heard a viable alternative yet. Do you actually have one?
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
    Even nudists gotta get with the program! In Prague. :smile: \
    xvl1gy99tja2.png
    66fdmtq2rn1z.png
    https://www.policie.cz/clanek/nahe-telo-ano-nezakryta-usta-ne.aspx
  • Dennis GardnerDennis Gardner Posts: 4,872
    edited April 10
    Showing us models with a 2.2 million death projection was more effective than telling us the truth: Fatties with diabetes should stay home!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,749

How about this one... Former and current military sworn to protect the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, now watching our sacred liberties shredded before our very eyes and not one person even bats an eye.

What did our brothers and sisters in arms loose life and limb for, especially now that the people we swore that oath to protect could care less that their liberty is being taken away and they barely make a noise?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,708
    Oh, I think plenty of us are batting an eye. The problem is very few of those in authority are listening.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• OleBootOleBoot Posts: 686
    Showing us models with a 2.2 million death projection was more effective than telling us the truth: Fatties with diabetes should stay home!

Well, this fattie with diabetes for 52 years is certainly staying at home.
    OleBoot wrote: »

Well, this fattie with diabetes for 52 years is certainly staying at home.

So, dem boots ain't made fer walkin'.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shawn474shawn474 Posts: 3,130
    edited April 10
    shawn474 wrote: »

So are you suggesting that we expose everyone and just see how it goes? What’s the alternative without completely overrunning the healthcare system and causing a much more catastrophic blow to the economy? You keep telling people they’re dodging the question but I haven’t heard a viable alternative yet. Do you actually have one?

Why does it have to be an “all or none”? How about we start with protecting the elderly and those with underlying health issues - shelter them in place. Then, let’s not shut down business and economic activity, but rather take an intelligent approach. For example, maybe restaurants cut their amount of available tables by half, creating distance between patrons. Maybe theaters do the same, selling every 3rd seat? Or 5th? Why are golf courses closed? Talk about distancing... malls? Same thing - plenty of room for people to distance. What about weddings and funerals? I’m pretty sure a group of 50 people can assemble responsibility, without the nanny state arresting people for being in a park with their kids.

And that’s just for starters.

What are your ideas?

I certainly don’t have any objection to what you’re proposing IF society showed an ability to listen. The facts are that this is only effective to the lowest common denominator - if you still have even a minority of people who are not willing to listen to social distancing guidelines and taking precautions to prevent the spread then you are not going to be effective in containing it. You’d still have kids throwing parties and infecting each other and the public, you’d still have people taking vacations and being reckless, you’d have restaurants that don’t abide by a maximum occupancy recommendation, bars opened, and a host of other situations.....you can’t do that AND contain the virus. And it doesn’t take many to undermine the whole process.

We can debate, and again I don’t NECESSARILY disagree......in my field, we talk a lot about “taking our medicine” early on in the process to minimize the potential for things to linger and reduce effectiveness or performance long term. The unemployed, the people with lost incomes, the people with diminished retirements may be able recover from this with the bailout package, short term unemployment and hopefully the people who will rehire them when this is all over. I WILL NOT EVER DIMINISH their struggles or the situations that they are in - I can’t begin to understand their plight right now. I could become a casualty of this in the next month or so as similar jobs are being cut at competitors. But, if this extends another 6 months or a year because people didn’t listen and are too selfish to have a bigger picture in mind and respect for the issues at hand (And let’s be honest - there are PLENTY of this happening even as we speak), then our economy, those jobs, retirement packages are potentially lost for good.

It doesn’t take much for many to become complacent - especially when they’re not symptomatic and may not ever know they have it. IF everyone could operate with that in mind, and exist in a manner where they assume they are positive or in close proximity to someone who could be positive, then maybe that could work.....but I don’t ever see that happening.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
    Oh brother.... 1y1pfvf7pn2s.png

President of Club Polk

• vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,722
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!