Has anyone tried an Audyssey microphone in a Yamaha YPAO set up?

Options
VXR8
VXR8 Posts: 291
Hello all,

As per above, has anyone tried the Audyssey microphone in a Yamaha receiver? I have the Audyssey microphone from my Denon AVR-X7200WA and recently also purchased the Yamaha RX-A3080. When running YPAO, it isn't quite as simplistic as Audyssey and though I haven't done the separate height measurement as yet, the sound appears a lot thinner on the Yamaha with the same speakers and set up with the Denon.

I'll be running the full YPAO set up again, including the second height check to see how that goes - am and hoping for an improvement in the "depth" of sound, but that failing was gong to try the Audyssey mic too, to see if that may assist in reaching the sound I am used to with the Denon.

Also, not sure if anyone knows how to overcome this, but when I play a multi channel SACD through the Denon, it knows it's 5.1 and outputs at that. With the Yamaha, it initially defaults to 7.1 - and even when you press "straight", it still plays at 7.1. However if I play a dedicated 2 channel SACD, it plays back in 2 channel only when straight is pressed.

What drew me to the Yamaha was the XLR input for my Cambridge Audio 851 CD player and the XLR pre out for the front channels for my Emo XPA2 amp. Failing the good sound that I like and am used to, the Yamaha probably will go.

Thanks in advance for all of your input, as always.
Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main System
Denon - AVC-4700H
Emotiva - XPA-9
Cambridge Audio - Azur 851C - CXUHD
Polk Audio - Legend L800 - Legend L400 - Legend L900 - LSiM fx - OWM3
SVS - PB1000 x 2
Foxtel - iQ4
Belkin - Pure AV PF40
Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
PS Audio - Sprout 100
Cambridge Audio - CXC S2 - CA752BD
Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
Polk Audio - Legend L200

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    You can get a Yamaha mic for about $20 shipped on eBay. I would go that route...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VXR8
    VXR8 Posts: 291
    Options
    Thanks - I also do have the YPAO mic but was wondering if the Audyssey was a better option.
    Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    Cambridge Audio - Azur 851C - CXUHD
    Polk Audio - Legend L800 - Legend L400 - Legend L900 - LSiM fx - OWM3
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Cambridge Audio - CXC S2 - CA752BD
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    No those mics are specific to their respective software.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    No those mics are specific to their respective software.

Agreed
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer