Dreadnought with common ground amp

gmcman
gmcman Posts: 1,739
edited April 2020 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I didn't want to re-visit a 2yo thread, or older and I tried searching but didn't find the answer, so I apologize if this has been covered.

While on vacation next week, I plan on moving some gear around and may DIY a cable or two.

My current setup for the 2.3TL, is using both the pin and blade through the dreadnought in case there would ever be the need for mono amps. My questions is, with a pin/blade circuit, since the signal passes through the pin, does it help or hurt the circuit if the negative lead is not used with the 1000VA transformer? This is in question since the transformer is wired currently in series.

My thinking is if I know I won't use non-common ground amps in the near future, is it beneficial to only use the pin circuit, and not have anything on the blade (NEG) circuit going through the transformer?

I figure it's best to leave as is, but wanted to ask.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Since people report their SDA's sound better using the Dreadnought with a common ground amp I'd say leave it as is.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Leave it as is.
  • gmcman
    F1nut wrote: »
    Since people report their SDA's sound better using the Dreadnought with a common ground amp I'd say leave it as is.

Forgive me if I misinterpreted, but yes, the dreadnought is staying. I was going to try another cable and not include the NEG in the SDA circuit, only use the signal from the pin.
  • pitdogg2
    Common ground yes you can use pin only.
    How does your dreadnought wire up at the speaker?
  • gmcman
    edited April 2020
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Common ground yes you can use pin only.
    How does your dreadnought wire up at the speaker?

I have the Neutrik connector at the speaker with both the signal and ground attached. I wired both circuits in the event I would ever use a non-common ground amp. I understand I'm only needing the signal at this point. I was curious if running the ground as well would benefit me. I wasn't going to add that 2nd wire on a new cable if not needed or would it be beneficial to a common ground amp.
  • pitdogg2
    With a common ground amp you do not need the blade (ground) side. It shouldn't affect sound quality, I've never used pin only, but that is how they come aftermarket on ebay.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    gmcman wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Forgive me if I misinterpreted, but yes, the dreadnought is staying. I was going to try another cable and not include the NEG in the SDA circuit, only use the signal from the pin.

Ah ok, that should be fine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk