Turntable question

geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,071
edited March 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
I have a question about turntables. First some background. I come from the days of 70s and 80s turntables I also used to work in the bizz ,set them up, sell them and so on. I like my Technics SL 5310 and my backup MCS 6601 (just like the one I had in college). Granted the TT are a 2nd or 3rd source of music so it is not a huge deal.

My collector friend dropped off a couple of turntables in the boxes almost like new. As he drops stuff off it is like a candy store and I can get a very good deal on items so the question is do I want to upgrade? Is it really an upgrade Opinions on these i think the MF is a Pro ject made item

1) Linn Baiki w Basik Plus tomearm This also has a dust cover
2) Musical Fidelity Roundtable. No dust cover rrr Exposed belt but you can change the ICs

5j2ts0uduok2.jpg
bg5pfwo1ewns.jpg

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    The Linn is a fine table. The MF's ARE made by Pro-Ject, which is why you see a lot of crossover in arms and designs of the lower end decks. I'd say give them a listen if you can, and if you like them better, pull the trigger.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    geppy, you are in a unique situation, in that you can audition any/all of these turntables, and decide which you like best. I agree with xsmi about the Linn being a fine table and arm.

The MF doesn't excite me very much. I started reading about its specs, and saw 'MDF platter'...no thanks. It also has a short, 9" arm.

By physically examining all of them side-by-side, you should be able to determine build quality and such.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    Just the changing and setting up of cartridges back and forth Cannot just take the head shell off the Technics and switch them out