COVID-19

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 10,158
    o9ad5faay4j6.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,462
    F1nut wrote: »
    This has to be the ultimate irony.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52053656

So does that make them racist...? It’s hard to keep track.
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,518
    edited March 27
    daddyjt wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    This has to be the ultimate irony.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52053656

So does that make them racist...? It’s hard to keep track.

Not a direct answer to the question. Racism exists in every race and in every country. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. One thing for sure though, the Wuhan flu isn't racist.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 13,304
    A positive result of this virus is the reduced traffic is resulting in cleaner air in the Bay Area. I sure hope people can continue to work from home when the restrictions are lifted.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • shawn474shawn474 Posts: 3,123
    “For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

Steve, taking FAITH out of the discussion for fear of complete implosion.... both of those are scary when speaking about science......Proof should be necessary to believe in cases like these. Science matters and so does research. And for those who no proof is possible, they lack the open mindedness of to be wrong even when facts slap them in the face. Sadly, there is still much gray area to navigate here. Hindsight will be 20/20 and both sides won't be afraid to say "I told you so....."
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 32,434
    Joey_V wrote: »
    @tonyb

I have contacts from Chicago as I lived and trained there.

Tell me if I'm wrong - but I believe (unless you moved) some of the hospitals nearest you are Sherman Hospital on Randall road and NIMC in Woodstock, IL? Interesting as I have worked at both and have friends at the front lines of both.

This year in particular was weak for the flu. And March.... no one if any goes on divert, especially coming into April. The next bump is July/August as trauma jumps up (sunny plays a role too, in the rain, we have bullets missing their intended targets).

Re the flu, as a clinician, compared to other years, I would rate it a 3/10.

As a google-analyst, you will likely find it different.

You might think having intimate knowledge about something breeds fear, I think it breeds a healthy understanding. Again, there are 2 major types of people in this world.

Those who know what they don't know.

Those who think they know what they don't know.

And veiled insults? Have you been proof-reading your posts lately? Last I checked you had quite a few directed at me.

Either way, no one can win in an argument with you (as many have private messaged me). You can have the floor back, I'm not interested in further bickering. We can agree to disagree.

I will go back to posting updates from my neck of the woods for those interested.

But a last tidbit @tonyb
    tonyb wrote: »

Carrol Shelby didn't drive like that on public roads. If he did, he'd be scared and so should other drivers.

Other misinformation I can't wait to hear. Please do some research first though, I know you may not have time, but it makes the conversation so much more interesting aside from your veiled insults.

Really?

Dallas Morning News
    5/11/12
    "When he was 7, the Shelby family moved to East Dallas. His father raced the local dirt tracks while young Carroll practiced on Dallas streets as a Woodrow Wilson High School student.

Mr. Shelby got his driver’s license when he was 14 and his first speeding ticket two days later.

“I was a terror in my ’38 Willys,” he once said. “It had a little old four-cylinder L-head engine like the ones they later put in Jeeps during the war. I took on the big boys driving their new ’39 V-8s and we tore all over Lakewood. One night I won 15 cents, betting I could turn right off Abrams by Doc Harrell’s drugstore and on to Gaston going 60 miles per hour.”"

And later years:

"“One time in Europe, on our way to Monaco in a rented Renault, he was going so damn fast he was passing everyone on the road,” Mr. Neale said. “He wasn’t trying to show off or anything. He could just do things with a car other people couldn’t.”"

Yes, lets compare a 14 year old Shelby. Try again Joey. The Hospitals your mentioning are on the outskirts of the city, yes I live on the far nw suburbs. The hospital I go to is Northwestern in the city because they are one of the few that can handle what I have wrong with me. Different circumstances in city hospitals compared to far out suburban ones. This is what I mean by twisting info, and a failure to use common sense.

Flu numbers are from the CDC Joey, so I guess we shouldn't believe them now ? Or only when it's convenient ?

Like I said, Texas may be different than other areas. What's happening in your hospital in your neck of the woods isn't the same all over and should not be portrayed that it is, as you seem to suggest to people. That"s dishonest and unbecoming of a Doctor in my opinion.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    edited March 27
    If you live in Michigan, and you or a loved one is infected with this potentially lethal disease, you’re out of luck.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs literally threatened all doctors and pharmacists in the state who prescribe or dispense hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19.

The agency’s March 24 letter warns physicians and pharmacists of professional consequences for the prescribing of hydroxychloroquine (and chloroquine). Beyond the rational recommendation against hoarding as production of this medication needs to be ramped up, the letter deviates into open threats of “administrative action” against the licenses of doctors that prescribe hydroxychloroquine.

The letter also instructs pharmacists to ignore physician orders for this medication. Due to the debate over a pharmacist’s right to refuse to fill medications that go against their religious beliefs, this could place pharmacists in the unprecedented position of being told that they must fill prescriptions that violate their “conscience (religious belief)” but must not fill prescriptions to treat COVID-19.
    Read more3/6

Even worse, the letter indicates health care providers are “required to report” their fellow physicians who are prescribing these medications. This draconian measure carries ominous Gestapo-like overtones of neighbor reporting neighbor to “authorities.”

This is yet another example of how those we depend on in a crisis, inject politics over common sense to help people.Some of these governors think they are little dictators.

While everyone who is not a politician is pulling together in a time of crisis to get thru this, like we always do as Americans, there still remains those who out of spite would rather see misery. I only hope people remember, those who helped and those who didn't.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    BlueFox wrote: »
    A positive result of this virus is the reduced traffic is resulting in cleaner air in the Bay Area. I sure hope people can continue to work from home when the restrictions are lifted.

Hope so too, but then that's a lot of office space thats going to be empty.

Here in Chicago, the virus is actually saving more lives than it has taken so far. Less gang shootings. Pretty sure other high crime areas are experiencing the same thing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    edited March 27
    ooops

Neil Ferguson's Imperial College model led the U.K. and the U.S. to enact aggressive shutdown measures

Dr. Neil Ferguson, the extremely influential epidemiologist behind the coronavirus model that led the United States and the United Kingdom to enact shutdown measures to combat the pandemic, has now drastically revised his estimates.
    Ferguson, who leads a team of researchers at the Imperial College in London, informed members of the U.K. Parliament Wednesday that deaths in the country as a result of COVID-19 are unlikely to exceed 20,000, and in fact could be much lower, the New Scientist reported.

"There will be some areas that are extremely stressed, but we are reasonably confident — which is all we can be at the current time — that at the national level we will be within capacity," Ferguson said.

That is a far cry from the Imperial College report last week that estimated 510,000 Britains could die from the virus if shutdown measures weren't taken, and swiftly. In the same report, it was estimated that as many as 2.2 million Americans would die.

Ferguson said the revision came after new data from around Europe suggested the virus' infection rate is higher than initially thought, and as a result, the research team has updated the virus' reproduction number.

The report was the key factor that triggered the U.K. and U.S. governments to suddenly shift from a comparatively relaxed position on the virus to draconian community mitigation measures. The New York Times reported that Ferguson has shared his projections with the White House task force and sent a copy of the report days prior.

The Times also reported that "with ties to the World Health Organization and a team of 50 scientists, led by a prominent epidemiologist, Neil Ferguson, Imperial is treated as a sort of gold standard, its mathematical models feeding directly into government policies."

'This is a remarkable turn'
    In a Twitter thread Thursday morning, author and former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson wrote, "this is a remarkable turn from Neil Ferguson, who led the [Imperial College] authors who warned of 500,000 UK deaths."

"He now says both that the U.K. should have enough ICU beds and that the coronavirus will probably kill under 20,000 people in the U.K. — more than 1/2 of whom would have died by the end of the year in any case [because] they were so old and sick," Berenson continued.

"Essentially, what has happened is that estimates of the viruses transmissibility have increased - which implies that many more people have already gotten it than we realize - which in turn implies it is less dangerous," he said, before adding: "Not surprisingly, this testimony has received no attention in the US - I found it only in UK papers. Team Apocalypse is not interested."

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 1,066
    All of the arguments are within this story.

He survived COVID-19. He’s broke. But he thinks America is overreacting

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-26/coronavirus-suburbs-trump-supporters-georgia-waffle-house

March 26 (Reuters) - The coronavirus pandemic could kill more than 81,000 people in the United States in the next four months and may not subside until June, according to a data analysis done by University of Washington School of Medicine.

Why some can take the data and come up with such different projections is beyond me. We started at 2.2 million would die here, now it's 80, 000, and we are just barely over 1k. Supposedly the next 2 weeks is prime time for this virus. so we have 79k people to go.....until june I guess now.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,261
    The only way that Hunt will reverse her position, is if somebody she dearly loves won’t make it unless the necessary medications are allowed. Time will tell . . .
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 9,027
    I have wondered what would make the scenario change but I thought maybe more job opportunities down south of the border. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    https://www.theblaze.com/op-ed/cuomo-public-health-strategy

Some might consider NY the epicenter of the virus for our country. Now their Gov. is backtracking on his decision to close all the businesses down. That would normally be big news....normally.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    Some more good news....

https://www.theblaze.com/news/major-league-baseball-jersey-manufacturer-to-produce-medical-masks-and-hospital-gowns

Wonder if they'll have team logos on them. Be kinda cool...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    edited March 27
    My City was a ghost town too but that was last week. People were out and about again OR people traveling through the other day.
    It was still light traffic compared to the normal thousands of drivers mostly in a hurry.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 13,304
    Virus increasing in other states with no sign yet of decreasing. I wonder if this will happen in the rural states which currently have only a few cases.

“New coronavirus hot spots are emerging in the Chicago, Detroit and New Orleans areas -- and health officials there are pleading for medical resources to meet the surges.”

“But officials warn the newer hot spots will soon look like the earlier ones.

"Hot spots like Detroit, like Chicago, like New Orleans ... will have a worse week next week than what they had this week," US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told "CBS This Morning" on Friday.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,351
    edited March 27
    What we are seeing is more testing I'd say. I believe the virus was there the whole time. Our local health dept. is saying the same thing.
    "We see so much value in being able to increase testing capacity in Central Illinois through testing sites like this one," McKnight said. "We know that access to testing in our area and across the country has been a source of frustration and confusion. And while testing will not be an instant solution for COVID-19, we hope it will allow us to have a more accurate picture of what is happening in our community and help us in our fight to stop the spread of the virus."
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,514
    Shoot, we have been saying the same thing. This is not a surprise.

exl00uckoh92.png

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
    Truck wipers needed...

I just went out to get wipers for my truck from an Advance Auto just about 14 blocks from my house. There's one wiper that has split apart.

I walk in and I'm looking for the wiper book, I was going to take a chance and touch it anyway. I've owned the truck for 25 years and I don't what length wipers goes on it? Well...no book.

I go to the counter to ask a salesman and he steps back real fast and says...

STEP BACK BEHIND THE LINE.

Oh, on the floor there's light green lines made with some kind of tape. I'm sure the line was 6' from the counter. It was very obvious to me now. I guess my vertical vision isn't that good! He said they took the book away because of the virus. That makes perfect sense. He said and pointed at the box for me to stand in it.

The inside towards the isles side of the line had nice rectangles to stand in in front of each corresponding register.. I got in the box in line with him and told him my make and year of my truck.
    He told me the lengths I needed, 2-18" and also pointed at some I missed that were Buy one, get one. I grabbed 2 and turned to go look for those little bubble mirrors.

As I turned, he said, from about 4' behind the counter, you can lay them on the counter. I told him I needed something else. OK he said.

I got my mirrors and then went back to him, standing in the box marked by the tape. He stepped back from the counter and said OK, bring them up and lay them on the counter and then step back into that box. I did. He then stepped back up.

He asked cash or card?, cash. OK total was like 15.00. He stepped back. He then said I could come up and lay the cash on the counter and step back again. We stayed about 6' apart. They had it down! I told him he could put the change into the bag with the little bubble / convex mirrors. He did and then stepped back and said, OK you can come get your things and thanks for shopping there.

I told him I hated to go out and get these wipers but I've been putting this off for too long.
    Wipers or serious illness and maybe worse...I picked wipers. Stupid, I know!

He said he was glad to be there to help all the people that were still coming to get things. he wished me well and I to him.

It really makes you think just how serious this virus is being taken.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!