Polk 4A upgrade

Options
stevenj71
stevenj71 Posts: 4
edited March 2020 in Speakers
I recently acquired an old set of monitor 4A's from my father-in-law. Long story short, the drivers are trashed. In the recommendation of some others, I replaced them with the Dayton classic 6.5" and a peerless 1" tweeter. They matched specs on the originals fairly close. Now, it's time to update the crossovers as I'm sure the caps are dry and crap. My line of thinking is just to replace them with new, non-polarized electrolytics and see how it sounds. From what I've read, the best part of this particular s peaker is the crossover design so keeping it as close as possible to the original configuration is best, right??
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Do you have pictures? Crossover and speaker.
  • stevenj71
    Options
    There was an extra set of crossovers with them. Same design schematically, just one has a PCB
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Well just one comment to start. That tweeter isn't a Peerless tweeter and you have huge air leaks/no seal where it is mounted, which, even if this is a ported design should throw things off a bit. Also, those crossovers don't look like anything I have seen to date and I'm guessing are not Polk OEM. Maybe the one on the left is OEM but someone else will have to chime in on that.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • stevenj71
    Options
    There's a brand new, 1" Peerless tweeter under that. The old, square tweeters were bad. I'm merely using the plastic from the original tweeter as a cover. It's just sitting there and not mounted. No air gaps once it is all mounted.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    RIP
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk