COVID-19

Comments

• JstasJstas Posts: 14,221
    Not good to hear (from Fox interview)..........28% positive in NJ, maybe 40% in NYC, vs. 10% positive overall.

28% positive of what? People tested? The entire population? What?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 5,097
    NYC is the epicenter because it has a lot of people crammed together and
    a lot of people passing through. Not a surprise.
    hard to keep a 1 foot of space, much less 6 feet.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • huggieshuggies Posts: 137
    Jstas wrote: »
    Not good to hear (from Fox interview)..........28% positive in NJ, maybe 40% in NYC, vs. 10% positive overall.

Percentage of those tested, tested positive for CV-19
  • msgmsg Posts: 5,745
    edited March 24
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Wrecking this economy will kill far more people than this virus; and it will affect generations to come. The President is doing the right thing. Everyone knows what to do to protect themselves--treat it like any seasonal virus, and lets open this country back up and walk & chew gum at the same time. We CANNOT go into panic mode every time something like this happens. Use priorities and risk/reward logical/critical thinking skills. If you discover mold in your house, do you burn the house down? Come on, lets let common sense rule the day.
    I agree with this idea generally. Both can be true, though. The broadsword is a panic response. Warranted for the information we had at the time, and better than nothing, but cannot remain indefinitely. To do so will hurt people in other comparably damaging ways. Hunger, job loss, financial disaster, homelessness, inability to acquire medical care and medication... Then again, lifting restrictions too soon isn't the right answer, either. There needs to be a plan.

Seems like South Korea had the best response. Widespread testing, contact tracing and lots of community support for the methods. I think their idea was not to shut everything down but to address and quarantine the infected.

It's kind of silly only testing people with symptoms, especially since we're still learning what the symptoms are. Some infected show minimal reaction to the virus, carrying and spreading without knowing.

Also good to see coming to light is the percentage of younger people affected. This does not just attack "the old". Sure the elderly have a harder time fighting it, but younger people are dying too. Hopefully that information and the media campaigns of "It's not about you" will have the younger generations - and everyone - paying closer attention and behaving more responsibly.

I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet, still too soon to know. I think it's been here longer than we realize, showing up in milder symptoms that people were able to dismiss or get through, but not realizing that they're carrying and spreading it.

I also believe healthcare is going to see an overwhelming wave of severe, critical cases, and may be understaffed and under-equipped in many locations.

Don't know what the answer is, but I don't think lulling people in a false sense of safety by saying "okay, the two weeks is over, back to business as usual" is the right answer. We need testing, we need data, we need ways to identify infected and properly quarantine them. And of course we need PPE and medical equipment.

Maybe it's too late for all that though with the exponential spread. Initial damage done sort of thing. I don't think it's too late though for us all to do our parts to prevent contraction or spreading it further.

One thing I saw in an interview was this notion of "What if you thought you had Corona, or everyone else around you had Corona?" People would be better about taking social distancing and hygiene more seriously then. The idea was that people would do well to consider it along those lines.

I thought this was a good article.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/world/asia/coronavirus-south-korea-flatten-curve.html
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
    huggies wrote: »

If that's the case then that should be pretty obvious to anybody who's been paying attention.

• verbverb Posts: 10,203
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    verb wrote: »
    Can't stand gougers. This is good!
    I know, almost as bad as low-ballers on CL.

I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 4,190
    Amazon will save us all....and than move us to outer space after we destroy this planet. 😉
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 32,462

So, let me see if I get this.

In order to even have a test, you must be showing symptoms. Of all those with symptoms, that were tested, overall is 10%. So one out of 10, with symptoms are testing positive for Corona. What are the other 9 out of 10 ? The Flu ? Common cold ?

Does it even say ? I'd be willing to bet, more than 1 out of 10 is testing positive for the flu.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    edited March 24
    I don't think the symptoms set has solidified yet, Tony. There's new info coming out on what healthcare pros are seeing in the critically affected. Red eyes is one - redness around the eyelids, as I think it was described by one of the nurses at the Washington Nursing Home.

Having to show symptoms for a test is unwise.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • GardenstaterGardenstater Posts: 1,034
    edited March 24

If that's the case then that should be pretty obvious to anybody who's been paying attention.

LOL. Not obvious that NJ and especially NY have a much greater percentage of those with symptoms that get tested, presenting as positive COVID-19, to the tune of 28% for NJ, 40% for NY vs 10% overall. The reason given was that there were probably many more chinese people that returned after the Chinese New Year, to those areas, prior to the travel ban.

Perhaps you're just so much smarter than the rest of us.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub
    Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14 gauge, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
    edited March 24
    tonyb wrote: »

In order to even have a test, you must be showing symptoms. Of all those with symptoms, that were tested, overall is 10%. So one out of 10, with symptoms are testing positive for Corona. What are the other 9 out of 10 ? The Flu ? Common cold ?

Does it even say ? I'd be willing to bet, more than 1 out of 10 is testing positive for the flu.

Since they have symptoms of COVID-19, ie. cough, fever, and shortness of breath it could be anything that causes those symptoms besides coronavirus, but probably most are flu and to a lesser degree cold viruses. This was from the Fox News interview of Trump, Pence, and Dr. Deborah Birx and the surgeon general at 12:30 today.
    George / NJ

Martin Logan Dynamo sub
    Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14 gauge, ultra low inductance
    tonyb wrote: »

Since they have symptoms of COVID-19, ie. cough, fever, and shortness of breath it could be anything that causes those symptoms besides coronavirus, but probably most are flu and to a lesser degree cold viruses. This was from the Fox News interview of Trump, Pence, and Dr. Deborah Birx and the surgeon general at 12:30 today.

I hear ya, did they put it in the context of "those tested" or did they kinda leave it up to the viewer to decide if it was the total population ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    edited March 24
    25,665 total cases in New York State
    157 deaths from the coronavirus in the state
    14,904 cases in New York City
    2,849 cases in Westchester County, 2,442 cases in Nassau, 1,458 in Suffolk, 592 in Rockland, 389 in Orange, and 127 in Albany County
    2,844 cases in New Jersey, with 27 deaths
    415 cases in Connecticut, with ten deaths

These are as of today numbers. You decipher them as you will. Taking NY state as a whole, they are at a less than 1% death rate.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
    This is disgusting. I've read a few stories like this, or of pranksters (idiots) spitting on merchandise in stores, or worse, cops and other people. Glad this guy was arrested!
    q7mrqi6hbihl.png
    https://www.bild.de/regional/muenchen/muenchen-aktuell/corona-irrsinn-in-muenchen-mann-leckt-u-bahn-griffe-ab-69573552.bild.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    tonyB they definitely said it was of those tested. Sorry I didn't make that clear. There's no way they could know what percentage of the population is positive. That would be PURE IRRESPONSIBLE guesswork.
    George / NJ

Martin Logan Dynamo sub
    Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 13,513
    For a trivial disease it is interesting that pretty much the entire civilized world is fighting it.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    edited March 24
    I never knew these existed! Little Free Libraries, whose original purpose was to swap books for free, now supporting others with food and TP! :smile:
    fowstckume8x.png
    v7sqr38q5fu7.png
    https://www.facebook.com/LittleFreeLibrary
  • shawn474shawn474 Posts: 3,132
    F1nut wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    For a trivial disease it is interesting that pretty much the entire civilized world is fighting it.

Same thing every year with the common flu, which causes around a million deaths every year. Let's keep things in perspective instead of fear mongering.

Fear mongering is not what this is about......just wait and see how bad the economy, job market, stock market, real estate market get when people continue to minimize the illness, skew statements, ignore or give inaccurate representation of the facts, and manipulate the research. You all have seen what the response is and the recommendations that have come forth - you can either listen to experts or think you're the expert. I choose the former. Not because I believe everything the media says or I submit to government oversight. But because if we don't we are going to continue to prolong the situation. I would rather take my lumps now and stop the spread than fight the "establishment", continue to spread ridiculous political agendas and have this last for many more months.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 4,190
    tonyB they definitely said it was of those tested. Sorry I didn't make that clear. There's no way they could know what percentage of the population is positive. That would be PURE IRRESPONSIBLE guesswork.
    Exactly the problem of NOT HAVING ENOUGH TESTS....we have no idea as to the numbers. Hospitals have a backlog of UNPROCESSED TESTS because the reagents used in the testing process ate mainly in....China. How sadly ironic.

Dave, just a quick note, I like seeing these kindness/community posts you find.
    I disabled signatures.
    72pzh8erjpyi.png
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,797
    edited March 24
    shawn474 wrote: »

Same thing every year with the common flu, which causes around a million deaths every year. Let's keep things in perspective instead of fear mongering.

Fear mongering is not what this is about....

Fear mongering is exactly what this is about, but you're too woke to realize it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Inspiring story! :smile:
    l05od6d53fxe.png
    g9plti3fvimy.png

LOL. Not obvious that NJ and especially NY have a much greater percentage of those with symptoms that get tested, presenting as positive COVID-19, to the tune of 28% for NJ, 40% for NY vs 10% overall. The reason given was that there were probably many more chinese people that returned after the Chinese New Year, to those areas, prior to the travel ban.

Again, duh.

Have any of you been paying attention to world news or are just fixated on numbers that aren't telling the whole story?

Also, been saying it for a couple weeks now, at least. China lied and kept lying over several major social holidays including Christmas, actual New Year, Chinese New Year and this thing called Singles Day where a mass population of single people go out and socialize. It's huge in China and several of it's neighboring nations. They did nothing to stem the movement of folks who they knew were infected and they traveled the globe.

• shawn474shawn474 Posts: 3,132

Fear mongering is exactly what this is about, but you're too woke to realize it.

Another prime example of you being so set in your ways and so rigid in your stance that you can't possibly see past your ego......I am not "woke" - I am reasonable with an open mind.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 13,513

This has nothing to do with the flu. At this time this has the potential to kill much, much more people than the flu. Let’s hope for the best, and plan for the worst.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 44,797

Another prime example of you being so set in your ways and so rigid in your stance that you can't possibly see past your ego......I am not "woke" - I am reasonable with an open mind.

Yeah.....rrrrrrright.....lol
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!